Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've just fitted a new element to the cooker. Firstly I was amazed that they were available given our throw away society. Secondly I was surprised that it was only £24 and thirdly, it fitted with only the aid of a screwdriver and virtually no swearing. :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Quick ride this morning then out for breakfast with wife and daughter. Curry in slow cooker for tea :-bd
Trying to ride bikes.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Plans for the weekend coming together nicely: September BAM tonight in the hammock, beer and snacks already packed, then in the morning a little explore around bits of Talybont forest where I've never been, before breakfast at the cafe in Talybont. I love how these days all sorts of indulgences can easily be justified as "supporting local businesses" :-bd
Then a weekend of domestic bliss, and topping up those brownie points, which I have been squandering at a dizzying rate recently :grin:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I currently have zero work crises and will shortly be packing the van for a week's walking and general not working in the Lakes. Excited as I've not been there for years and we've found a nice campsite on the coast.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
RIP

Post by RIP »

I'm cheery 'cos you lot above seem pretty cheery :smile: .

Also just been to the station (that's the railway station, not the train station :wink: ) and booked my bike tickets for September's ludicrous 3-night enterprise to 148 and 161. One of my co-conspirators has recently added a 22nd location to visit which I'm not entirely convinced is a real place so that'll added a bit of extra spice to the proceedings.

This evening is earmarked for Marshmallow and Choc Stout, which my lad bought me as recompense for his previous not-entirely-100%-successful effort of White Choc & Raspberry Ale, whilst viewing a couple of episodes of The Prisoner (EDIT: episode 4 of which features a Raleigh Shopper for a fleeting second :-bd ).

I am not a number.
Last edited by RIP on Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

RIP wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:14 pm One of my co-conspirators has recently added a 22nd location to visit
Not forgetting another co-conspirator's superbly-judged addition of the home of a person who has inspired me in middle life. I noticed only today that this location has a cider mill (*) just round the corner, making it exceptionally easy to toast the said person after the pilgrimage.

(*) come to think of it, just bivvying down there for 3 days looks like a pretty sound plan
Last edited by RIP on Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

Verena wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:53 pm little explore around bits of Talybont forest where I've never been
You ticked off that spot up that side valley that I inflicted on you as part of (V)WE yet V?

benp1

Post by benp1 »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:06 pm I've just fitted a new element to the cooker. Firstly I was amazed that they were available given our throw away society. Secondly I was surprised that it was only £24 and thirdly, it fitted with only the aid of a screwdriver and virtually no swearing. :-bd
I'm putting off doing the one in our new house. Eventually replaced all the bits in our old cooker in our old house (fan, grill element, oven element) but this new cooker is much bigger and fancier and is going to be more involved sadly

Friday looking good here. Weather is nice, heading out for a little ride soon
Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:22 pm
Verena wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:53 pm little explore around bits of Talybont forest where I've never been
You ticked off that spot up that side valley that I inflicted on you as part of (V)WE yet V?
That's the plan Reg, yes :cool:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I always feel like I'm ahead of the game when something breaks and I fix it, particularly if you can do it cheap. Well done Stu, I've fitted three cooker elements over the years, could be the basis of a new forum :-bd
Anyway, I'm laying off the beer tonight (a bit) as i'm going to have a crack at a double imperial century tomorrow. It's all Dave Barter's fault as I've just re-read 'The Year' and whilst I've got more chance of getting the cycling to the moon record than the year record, I've become intrigued with the thought of bashing out some big miles and seeing where I can get to in a day from the house.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Oh, and had a phone call this afternoon about a dog....
As in possible, now likely, replacement for our old girl, who sadly departed last week.
No point hanging about is there? Bruce needs a good lady by his side.
And the best bit, which is making me excited and cheery, is that if we get this one, she's a greyhound, so there will be no end to knitting opportunities for me, different jumper for each day, and unlike a lot of pooches, actually quite justified as they are skinny and do get cold...
And it is the time of year when, regular as clockwork, I get an irresistible urge to knit...
RIP

Post by RIP »

^ :grin:

Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

htrider wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:34 pm I always feel like I'm ahead of the game when something breaks and I fix it, particularly if you can do it cheap. Well done Stu, I've fitted three cooker elements over the years, could be the basis of a new forum :-bd
Anyway, I'm laying off the beer tonight (a bit) as i'm going to have a crack at a double imperial century tomorrow. It's all Dave Barter's fault as I've just re-read 'The Year' and whilst I've got more chance of getting the cycling to the moon record than the year record, I've become intrigued with the thought of bashing out some big miles and seeing where I can get to in a day from the house.
One day I will tell you the story of that first chapter…
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Dave Barter wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:43 pm
htrider wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:34 pm I always feel like I'm ahead of the game when something breaks and I fix it, particularly if you can do it cheap. Well done Stu, I've fitted three cooker elements over the years, could be the basis of a new forum :-bd
One day I will tell you the story of that first chapter…
:-bd Look forward to it!
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Friday today = 2 week holiday starts this evening
#Cheers
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bag of thyme & rosemary crisps.
Glass of something.
Episode 9 "Checkmate" of The Prisoner.

Sorted.

Can see you there Stevo :smile: . How's that there new job going?
Last edited by RIP on Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Very Cheery here, not long got back from northern lands, well Preston anyhow..being as I’m genetically northern (grandmother from Newcastle and the rest of the family from around Durham/ Wales) I got on well with my new workmates so obviously apart from learning the best places to eat in Widnes we also got chatting about music as you do..
I was introduced to, no not the Mac lads but ‘The Cat empire’ what an album, what more can you ask for? cultural enlightenment,good banter and actually getting paid properly :-bd

https://open.spotify.com/album/7H3Bgvb3 ... l_branch=1
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Very minor cheery day, but I was teaching last lesson listening to a torrential downpour and thinking how lovely my waterproof jacket must look hung up in my garage.... Sadly, I was 15 miles away... And then, just before the bell tolled for my ritual drowning, the clouds blew away, sun came out and I had a lovely ride home in the warm sunshine.

Also, it's my 8 year old daughter's first match for her first football team in the morning and she's hugely excited!
Last edited by PaulE on Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

PaulE wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:57 pm Very minor cheery day, but I was teaching last lesson listening to a torrential downpour and thinking how lovely my waterproof jacket must look hung up in my garage.... Sadly, I was 15 miles away... And then, just before the bell tolled for my ritual drowning, the clouds blew away, sun came out and I had a lovely ride home in the warm sunshine.

Also, it's my 9 year old daughter's first match for her first football team in the morning and she's hugely excited!
It’s funny sometimes how rain makes you feel, sometimes it feels like it’s out to get you (sometimes it IS) yet on other occasions, while you may wince as the unexpected storm batters you into a bus shelter, the sun peeks out from behind the storm clouds and warms your soaked skin. The result should be something neutral, bad-good. But I’d always welcome this more compared to the blandest spring day..
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

PaulE wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:57 pm Also, it's my 9 year old daughter's first match for her first football team in the morning and she's hugely excited!
The small Landslides have just joined teams, we might see you on the touchlines!
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

I rode some 17 miles to my daughters’ just to get some miles in. I got caught out by some torrential rain on the way home - soaked to the skin, I was, but what made it a cheery Friday was the 6 miles of towpath along the Llangollen canal. There were strollers, runners, dog walkers and pram-pushers. With each of these I exchanged a smile or nod or a few friendly words. Without exception they stopped or stepped aside or gathered their dogs, all with a smile or a “you’re welcome” in response to my “Thank you”.

I often ride this stretch of towpath, and it’s always the same - nice - and it always lifts my spirits. I read stories of awkward pedestrians/dog walkers/runners and confrontations with cyclists on shared paths but that’s never been my experience on this bit of path.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Bearlegged wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:13 pm
PaulE wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:57 pm Also, it's my 9 year old daughter's first match for her first football team in the morning and she's hugely excited!
The small Landslides have just joined teams, we might see you on the touchlines!
Is your avatar the bear in Sheffield Botanical gardens? If so, then almost certainly! Mine has joined Nether Green U9s...
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Yup!
I've somehow found myself embroiled with the Steelers.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Tomorrow, I shall be flinging pointed bits of wood about for the first time in over 12 months. I have flung bits of wood about in that time but not with others at what could be called an 'event'. Quite looking forward to it.

I'm also hoping that fingers have been removed from orifices and some bits I've waited 3 weeks for, might actually arrive today. Why do companies use Hermes? I know they're cheap but they're sh!te and their inability to do their job leaves you looking a tw@t ... anyway, it's meant to be cheery so I'll shut up :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health ... sts.html

Glad to see my tramp/layabout/pub/cafe style of bikepacking totally vindicated. By the, er, Daily HateMail.

You x00/fitness/training/routes lot need to get with the programme :-bd .
Last edited by RIP on Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.