Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by fatbikephil »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:48 am Ooh - utterly mind numbing for most but I did promise Tim some pictures. Still a work in progress but there is progress, just waiting for some fluro lined hoses and I can connect everything up before final welding. Due to the nature of 180 degree twins, I'm treating the thing as 2 separate engines once downstream of the blower. Yes, I will be changing the belt for one not made of insulation tape :wink:
Blown superdream. Oh yes :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Blown superdream.
Oi, it's not a superdream, it's a K4 :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:22 pm
Blown superdream.
Oi, it's not a superdream, it's a K4 :wink:
:grin:
Doesn't that make it a 'dream''??
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Doesn't that make it a 'dream''??
Only in America :wink:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I always fancied a K4 as they seemed a much nicer thing than the overweight superdream. They were all pretty much dead by the time I passed my test (1991). After nearly buying a 250RS I ended up with a Suzuki X7....

Looking forward to seeing the complete machine :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Then it got spoilt - the van would shudder a bit at motorway speeds. Turned out that one of the rear tyres had uneven wear. I checked it at my brothers and noticed that the carcase was showing through. By the time I got to Kendal (taking it very steady) the bad bit had the wires poking through :shock: I think the cops in the queue behind me were more concerned about getting off shift as they didn't spot it.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

So a day early I’m going to bring this thread both up and down.

Firstly a really unhappy Thursday as I found my next door neighbour Ken dead in his bed today. ‘Twas not a pleasant experience as 999 made me cpr him for 30 minutes before the ambulance arrived. Ken had died hours before but they insisted.

So what is happy. Well lots.

I knew Ken for 10 years and helped him when his wife passed from lung cancer. He wanted no fuss and told me he’d like to sneak away in the night. He got his wish.

Second I was strangely privileged to be part of a community where we go in each other’s houses daily to keep an eye on each other. This would never have happened where I used to live but today I sat with neighbours who have all been in Ken’s house looking after him and we all cried.

Sorry for posting what seems like a maudlin post but I’m strangely uplifted by Ken’s death. Cherish your neighbours even if they are funny old sods.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

ps. posted this as I am a bit raw and needed to outlet somewhere
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

No problem Dave. Take care.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
psling

Post by psling »

Dave, you are one of the most compassionate people I have known. Don't ever apologize for or change who you are.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Dave Barter wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:51 pm Second I was strangely privileged to be part of a community
That privilege has now been passed on to us, your BBB neighbours (or indeed, perhaps stretching the point, family - we've said it before). It is our privilege that you've chosen to share it with us. A little part of me has been affected and changed by your shared story, and I've stopped for a while to think on't, for which I thank you Dave.
Last edited by RIP on Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

When someone dies, I always hope that those left behind have some good memories. It sounds like you've got some Dave, plus a good community around you. I don't know if you're the huggy type, but I'm offering you some virtual hugs (if you'd like them).
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I can see why that's kind of cheery Dave. Ken went knowing that he had a circle of friends who genuinely cared for him. I think death can also have a way of stripping away the superficial and allowing us to see the things that truly matter. RIP Ken.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Good thing to share :-bd IMO better to talk about death than hide it away behind flowery language and metaphorical net curtains.

If you ever need a manly grapple (ok, hug) then theres one banked with me chap :cool:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:56 am Good thing to share :-bd IMO better to talk about death than hide it away behind flowery language and metaphorical net curtains.
:-bd

Also good to inject some humour, unless it was a bad exit. Even then... hmm... Anyway, no Bach's Toccata and Fugue at my send-off please, Entry Of The Clowns for Reg will do....
If you ever need a manly grapple (ok, hug) then theres one banked with me chap :cool:
Gone all Trains Planes & Automobiles now :smile: . Motel scene....

"Those aren't pillows!", "aaah!", "oh! oh!"...... "See that Bears' game last week?", "Hell of a game", "They're going all the way", "Ohh, yeow".
Last edited by RIP on Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm speculating but in case anyone's thinking 'ooh, I don't really want to post now', I'll get the ball rolling. (No need, Reg is in).

Not made (bored you with) many bows this year but this week, I've finished two. The first was a Holly branch I was given and is now something that looks like a traditional English Longbow. I made it as a surprise for Dee's friend as they're attending a medieval festival next week and I thought she needed something that looked the part. The second is a little special - it's made from the last piece of Yew I was gifted a few years ago. In truth most people would have put it in the woodpile but I don't like wasting wood and enjoy the challenge. It's only 50" long which in bow terms is tiny. It has a big hole straight through one limb, a large knot in the other and is generally twisted and bent. The outcome after some careful tillering and nervous moments is a thing of character and beauty. 58lb @24" which is as far as I dare go.

I'll sort a picture out for those who've made it this far.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yep, pic please.

Talking of exits (sorry Stu, I've turned it back :smile: . You'll have to restart the ball again now :lol: ), Sean Lock's sad early departure has left us the poorer. Superb off-the-wall humourist. Brilliant shock-and-awe lines. A bit like Frankie Boyle but Sean's shocks were much more sparing and therefore perhaps more effective.

Prompted me to watch a few 8/10 Cats Countdown clips last night. One which stood out I'd never seen before. Rachel for some reason dons a wolf head-dress or something and a viking helmet. Sean steps straight in: "that's a challenging wank". Open-mouthed whaaaaat gobsmackery but a supremely chosen and timed quip.

Back to Stu's ball....
Last edited by RIP on Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

psling

Post by psling »

RIP wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:20 am Talking of exits (sorry Stu, I've turned it back :smile: . You'll have to restart the ball again now :lol: ), Sean Lock's sad early departure has left us the poorer. Superb off-the-wall humourist. Brilliant shock-and-awe lines. A bit like Frankie Boyle but Sean's shocks were much more sparing and therefore perhaps more effective.

Prompted me to watch a few 8/10 Cats Countdown clips last night. One which stood out I'd never seen before. Rachel for some reason dons a wolf head-dress or something and a viking helmet. Sean steps straight in: "that's a challenging wank". Open-mouthed gobsmackery but supremely chosen and timed quip.

Back to Stu's ball....
Been watching some of his stuff too, brilliant memories. One that had me crying tears of laughter was the 'Carrot in a Box' competition; simple, obvious but brilliant :lol: :lol:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Likewise re: Sean Lock. "Rectum of the Year" (a skit on 8/10 Cats Countdown) had me crying with laughter yesterday. Carrot in a box is ace, so good they did it twice.

RIP a funny bloke :cool:

Good news - getting a new puppy soon. Pup-proofing the garden this weekend and building a dog toilet so this one doesn't kill the lawn :roll: Could be worse, like a little project and a mate is lending me his circular saw. What could possibly go wrong :shock:

Bad - screwed up my dates to visit a mate down Dave's way next week with family so looks like it's off.
RIP

Post by RIP »

psling wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:30 am Been watching some of his stuff too, brilliant memories. One that had me crying tears of laughter was the 'Carrot in a Box' competition; simple, obvious but brilliant :lol: :lol:
Only just discovered that 'carrot' and 'w&nk' were in the same episode! Along with his greatest achievement in life being the money he embezzled from the RNLI, or the time he went seal 'clubbing'. What a great episode. Just one of the moments on its own would have been worth the entrance fee.

TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I met Sean Lock a couple of times as booked him a few corporate events. Amazing genuine bloke. And as an 8/10 Cats fanboy, well, I had a little weep learning he's gone. He was utterly brilliant and we're all the poorer for his passing.
I'm just going outside ...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Can I have your autograph please Tim? As a sort of second-best for not having Locky's? Met him eh, you lucky booger.

Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:lol: :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Pickers! Happy Birthday old bean :-bd When they made Pickers they threw away the mould..... which had accumulated on his sleeping bag during one particular BaM we did :grin: .