Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

MuddyPete

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by MuddyPete »

First the Tories bring back (Great) British Rail; then they prioritise pedestrians and cyclists in the Highway Code. :shock:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58021450

What is going on? :-O
May you always have tail wind.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Also cheery as Christina McKenzie looks set to break the woman’s Lejog record today

https://live.opentracking.co.uk/lejogcm ... ftOMUHfZR4
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
RIP

Post by RIP »

MuddyPete wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:55 am First the Tories bring back (Great) British Rail; then they prioritise pedestrians and cyclists in the Highway Code. :shock:

Mm, was just about to post the HC story Pete. I'll really start to pay attention when they enforce 10mph in all built up areas :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

MuddyPete wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:55 am First the Tories bring back (Great) British Rail; then they prioritise pedestrians and cyclists in the Highway Code. :shock:

'Cyclists have priority when going straight on at junctions'
Can't quite figure this one out, don't they (and other road users) have this anyway?

Zebra stuff is interesting - in line with those idiots in Europe (eh?!). Unfortunately it relies on the driver paying attention to what's going on around them which is the main reason for non-compliance currently....

The transport hierarchy of peds down to lowly car drivers has been on place for 15 years or more so I wonder if this is really going to achieve anything further
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Well, it's good step in the right direction. The next needs to be that in any accident between a car and a bike or pedestrian, the car is assumed to be at fault, as it is in the vast majority of accidents. This was mooted a few years ago but the insurance lobby beat it down claiming it would add £50 a year to all insurance policies. Utter bullshite of course, but it got the tabloids sufficiently engaged to stop it before it started. Hmmmf.

But it's cheery Friday and the rain has stopped so Im taking my daughter up to the horse yard and we're going to hack out for an hour or so. Nice end to the week.
I'm just going outside ...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

TheBrownDog wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:41 pm Well, it's good step in the right direction. The next needs to be that in any accident between a car and a bike or pedestrian, the car is assumed to be at fault, as it is in the vast majority of accidents. This was mooted a few years ago but the insurance lobby beat it down claiming it would add £50 a year to all insurance policies. Utter bullshite of course, but it got the tabloids sufficiently engaged to stop it before it started. Hmmmf.

But it's cheery Friday and the rain has stopped so Im taking my daughter up to the horse yard and we're going to hack out for an hour or so. Nice end to the week.
It wasn't quite like that - the proposal was for vehicle drivers to have 'assumed liability' and only applied to insurance claims i.e. in cycle or ped / car collisions it was up to the car drivers insurance to prove their client wasn't at fault which would have made claims from peds in particular (who don't have 3rd part insurance as a rule) much more straightforward. In terms of traffic offenses nothing changed - its always 'innocent until proven guilty'. Unfortunately, the media reported it as those pesky cyclists trying to make every collision the poor old car drivers fault, knowing that the ignorant masses would be outraged, complain to their MSP's and get it over turned.....
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

About 3 months ago I saw an offer on Spanish railways which meant that you could go anywhere for €19. This included the AVE which is the high speed "bullet" train that can get us to Madrid in 2 hours rather than the 5 hour drive. We've looked at visiting before but the tickets are usually 5 times that so I quickly booked 2 returns at the end of Sept before MrsPB returns to her job teaching English. We get limited UK tv and every time the Tina musical has been advertised recently, she has said "I wish we could see that" assuming it would entail a trip to the West End, we quickly dismissed it. Guess what! The Spanish premiere is in Madrid on October 1st, the last night of our stay. Just a few tickets were left and we managed to get 2. Personally I'm a bit meh about musicals but she is made up.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Off to Lancaster to see Mrs Perrin's best school mate and their other chum. Obviously Reg isn't allowed to witness what the Three Witches get up in their coven (apparently there's lots of nude dancing round the fire at midnight which I'm pretty keen on normally so that's a shame) so he's going to have a brew and cake in Lancaster then carry on round to Giggleswick (train every 3 hours) where he has two nights to do exactly as he pleases.

Stupidly and inexplicably he's chosen to take his bike.

So, it's obviously going to piss with rain for 3 days as it always does for me, so that's cheery.

Plan A: ride my own random YD30 of some description (yes 30 - I've only got one '0' on this thing) and get all messy. In fact it might be YD29 or YD31. I don't understand this obsession with large round numbers. Or numbers at all come to that.
Plan B: ride to the nearest cave, set up, and stare out at the rain for 3 days. I might dance nude round my 22g stove at midnight to show solidarity with the Three Witches.
Plan C: bivvy in the station shelter for 3 days, stare at trains.
Plan D: ride to The Talbot, sit down, stare out of the window for 3 days and wait for something/someone interesting to happen.

Undecided at the moment.
Last edited by RIP on Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

pistonbroke wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:35 pm About 3 months ago I saw an offer on Spanish railways which meant that you could go anywhere for €19. This included the AVE which is the high speed "bullet" train that can get us to Madrid in 2 hours rather than the 5 hour drive. We've looked at visiting before but the tickets are usually 5 times that so I quickly booked 2 returns at the end of Sept before MrsPB returns to her job teaching English. We get limited UK tv and every time the Tina musical has been advertised recently, she has said "I wish we could see that" assuming it would entail a trip to the West End, we quickly dismissed it. Guess what! The Spanish premiere is in Madrid on October 1st, the last night of our stay. Just a few tickets were left and we managed to get 2. Personally I'm a bit meh about musicals but she is made up.

Just think of the brownie points! :-bd You'll get at least six months' worth of trips out of that :lol:

Reg - undecided as to what to do at the weekend, drop me a pm. Yesterday's weather warning turned out to be a bit of drizzle that soaked the cat.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
RIP

Post by RIP »

Cheers Bob. I'll get a bit nearer and drop you a line once I've landed. Prob early PM or summink.

Looking more closely, The Talbot looks like nice beer and veg food so maybe lots of out and backs from there :smile: .

Got nae supplies at all apart from porridge. Not even any Tunnocks which is unusual.
Last edited by RIP on Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I used to go out with a girl who was at Lancaster Uni and lived in town. Reg you've left off this option which is what I mainly did when I was there

Plan E: Go to town drinking from about 7pm and end up at the Student Union, continue drinking through the night, walk back to town just as it's getting light, go to bed and get up after lunchtime/early afternoon, eat and then get ready to go out, go to town for 7pm... and repeat :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Just think of the brownie points! :-bd You'll get at least six months' worth of trips out of that :lol:
You obviously haven't met MrsPB, I've had to postpone the 9 day Spanish Divide trip which was on for early next month as the guys coming from the UK couldn't bank on not facing quarantine on return. I have replaced it with a ride along the Via Augusta to Sevilla in October but she's now moaning about me leaving her on her own. 6 months? I'm lucky to get 6 minutes worth of brownie points.
RIP

Post by RIP »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:20 am I used to go out with a girl who was at Lancaster Uni and lived in town. Reg you've left off this option which is what I mainly did when I was there

Plan E: Go to town drinking from about 7pm and end up at the Student Union, continue drinking through the night, walk back to town just as it's getting light, go to bed and get up after lunchtime/early afternoon, eat and then get ready to go out, go to town for 7pm... and repeat :lol:
Yes that's certainly a good bonus option Sean thanks.

Could you PM me her number please and put in a good word for me?

ledburner

Post by ledburner »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:20 am I used to go out with a girl who was at Lancaster Uni and lived in town. Reg you've left off this option which is what I mainly did when I was there

my Dad took me to Lancaster when I was 5 (1970s)i remember smell of fresh roasted &
ground coffee. In the early 90's it was still the in the old market place when I returned with a lass from the uni.
I must have come over all weird. cos I later married her.
I still like fresh coffee!, apparently so does she. . After a morning cuppa. :-bd
Reg.,I would send you out to check up on the tea and coffee merchants but it appears that building is part of the city museum, in the market Square.
I sure you'll feel at home there.
you can also Settle down round the corner from Giggleswick... naked man cafe recommended...
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
RIP

Post by RIP »

Just in Peaks Cycles having brekkie as it happens :smile:

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Good to see you posting, given the state of last night's shelter!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Mmm, I believe falling slate delivers a nice clean cut a bit like a guillotine :smile: . I'm declining the pleasures of that establishment tonight in favour of the deluxe sister place down the road. The lime kiln has a certain appeal but Bob's going to test that another time.

ledburner

Post by ledburner »

morning guys and fellow bi ets [edit :Boners] ,
Its Friday and the 13th, anyone superstious?
Not me, touch wood?
I ready been called in to pick up an extra shift...
starting at 7am instead if 2 pm... Hmmm
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Today I shall mostly be strimming. Not a great reason for cheer but there is a certain futile and short lived satisfaction in it :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Off camping this weekend! :-bd
In a tent that seems to weigh more than my packed bike. :???:

Anyway, I'm promised wildflowers, dedicated fire pits for that lifestyle vibe, and a coffee cart that serves bacon sammiches. I think |I should cope.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ooh - utterly mind numbing for most but I did promise Tim some pictures. Still a work in progress but there is progress, just waiting for some fluro lined hoses and I can connect everything up before final welding. Due to the nature of 180 degree twins, I'm treating the thing as 2 separate engines once downstream of the blower. Yes, I will be changing the belt for one not made of insulation tape :wink:

psling

Post by psling »

Beginning to look a bit different Stu :-bd
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's even a bit lighter Peter :wink:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Currently in a field fixing wall gaps. The view looks across to the South Lakes fells, the Howgills, Ingleborough, Morecambe Bay and the Bowland Fells :-bd

Not a bad office :grin:

It’s even warm :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

Last day before 2 weeks holiday!! Was supposed to be going to a wedding in South Africa but 'Rona put paid to that. Chilling and bike riding will be happening! :cool:
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.