Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by RIP »

You need to start a tea snobs thread Dave :smile: . You're right of course though, a pot is the one true way.

The whole point of the pot is that it enforces a contemplative delay before one partakes.

Good grief I'm doing it now! Honestly, keep it in the coughee snobs thread where it belongs :grin: Where those guys go fatally wrong though is to focus on the substance itself and the paraphernalia involved. Us tea drinkers occupy a far higher plane because we understand it's solely about the experience. Just like bikepacking in fact! - nobody gives a monkeys about what equipment you used or how long it took, only what happened to you.

:lol:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Hurray! New easing of Welsh lockdown means I can holiday in Wales again - as long as it’s in “self contained” accommodation. It doesn’t come more self-contained than bivvying on my own in some remote shed/ditch/forest somewhere. I’m thinking of a double, 30th/1st two nighter, in case the rules change again. That way, BaM would be covered until end of June. :-bd
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yeah, dead jealous. I'd be out there TONIGHT Lu, on the dot. Freeeeeee (ish), hurrah!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

RIP wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:38 am You need to start a tea snobs thread Dave :smile: . You're right of course though, a pot is the one true way.
Titanium tea pot anyone?

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... 800ml-p977
RIP

Post by RIP »

^ Blimey! "Strangely pleasing shape". I should jolly hope so for best part of a hundred quid :smile: .

Not seen one of these for a while. Very appropriate for Cheery Friday. And luckily the end of it is directly on my shed. I'm going to go and have a look what's inside. (Yes I know HOTT, a gold bling bike :wink: )

macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Off to get my C19 jab today, I think that's a reason to be cheerful (Part3)
Only problem with it is that I'm having it in an area where most of the locals prefer the C18 jab.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ooh, shiny Friday. I'll admit, I'm starting to get a bit bored now especially as I appear to be building something I'll never ride in the rain or bright sunlight (least the tyres won't perish)

May the bridges you burn light your way
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Freedom in Wales and I now have 2 weeks off work!
:-bd
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

Dave Barter wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:20 am What is all this talk of tea bags? I was brought up with leaves and a strainer. How can tea taste right when filtered through a hole filled plastic bag? I despair in you lot you probably think it comes from Yorkshire
Love a cup of proper tea!!! If you want to get silly about it as I do see below! I take a tea ball and a little tub of loose tea bikepacking. :???:

https://nbtea.co.uk/
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I had some sub standard news this week that we won't go into but today negotiated a deal for my business which counters that.

Also a gorgeous Campagnolo road chain-set turned up so I can commence project rebuild on my Omega Radius. This is in memory of Mark Reilly who sadly passed away last week. I had the frame custom built by him and we have done so much together. I'll never sell it and need to start riding it again in memory of Mark who was a top fella. RIP Mark.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
directdrive

Post by directdrive »

summittoppler wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:20 pm Freedom in Wales and I now have 2 weeks off work!
Am I right in thinking we can head out for an overnighter now?

Also taking a week off from finishing my PhD thesis, which has been a massive grind the last couple of months. Would dearly love to get out.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

directdrive wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:37 pm
summittoppler wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:20 pm Freedom in Wales and I now have 2 weeks off work!
Am I right in thinking we can head out for an overnighter now?

Also taking a week off from finishing my PhD thesis, which has been a massive grind the last couple of months. Would dearly love to get out.
I'm no Government official like but, BBC says 'people who live in Wales can stay in self contained accommodation' and 'there is no limit t travel within Wales'.
However there is no travel into Wales from England until 12th April at the earliest.

Stu's 'neighbours', get a mention here from Llanbrynmair:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-56522989
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Dave Barter wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:20 am I was brought up with leaves and a strainer.
I was brought up sucking a damp cloth.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1by0-nkKOTs
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

directdrive wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:37 pm Also taking a week off from finishing my PhD thesis,
Is it about how to drink tea?
Boab

Post by Boab »

You lot need to listen to The Tea Leaf Mystery from Series 2 of The Curious Cases of Rutherford & Fry...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
directdrive

Post by directdrive »

summittoppler wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:29 pm
I'm no Government official like but, BBC says 'people who live in Wales can stay in self contained accommodation' and 'there is no limit t travel within Wales'.
However there is no travel into Wales from England until 12th April at the earliest.

Stu's 'neighbours', get a mention here from Llanbrynmair:
I'm down the road in Aberystwyth. If people are allowed to fill up the holiday parks then I'll be taking that as a green light for a couple of solo wild camp nights!
Alpinum wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:44 pm Is it about how to drink tea?
Not quite but thinking about a chaper on wanky pour-over coffee.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Jeff wrote: Stu's 'neighbours', get a mention here from Llanbrynmair:
Well young Gwenlli has just been on Radio 4 so there's her moment of fame :smile:

RIP

Post by RIP »

No? Ah well.

I've just eaten some marmite crisps which I enjoyed. The fatal thing to do is take them all out of the packet at once and put them on a plate. About half a potato's worth obviously.

Anybody else get that thing where you open some crisps, and have to consume the whole bag in one go no matter what size bag it is? No restraint me.

JC, did you do an April Fool with a giant crane in the end? Sorry I was useless mate.

(Missed it again Stu :smile:. I'm getting a bit concerned ).

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

RIP wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:13 pm No?
Yes.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

RIP wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:13 pm
Anybody else get that thing where you open some crisps, and have to consume the whole bag in one go no matter what size bag it is? No restraint me.
This! No matter the bag size, I’ll finish them but I’ll never open two (or more!) small (normal) size bags to make one big bag!
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

I got back from my March/April bivvy to find an email saying I've got a place as crew on a five-week voyage in a tall ship. That's one tick off the bucket list.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Landslide wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:39 pm
RIP wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:13 pm No?
Yes.
Good. Do elaborate old bean :smile: . Innes & Gunn here by the way.

Also cheery because a rather complex bit of machinery turns out to have no electrical faults as at first thought.

RIP

Post by RIP »

voodoo_simon wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:46 pm
RIP wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:13 pm
This! No matter the bag size, I’ll finish them but I’ll never open two (or more!) small (normal) size bags to make one big bag!
Agreed. That wouldn't be in the spirit at all. I'm quite partial to Tyrell's 'Naked' crisps. It's a bit like only having vanilla ice-cream - it allows the underlying simple but subtle qualities and flavours to shine through. Ahem. Flavours are for amateurs. Yes even butterscotch.

I presume the largest bags are 150g? (sorry I mean 5.3 ounces).

My lad sent me a photo of his snail and garlic crisps earlier. I kid you not. Utterly horrifying. I've cut him out of my will.
Last edited by RIP on Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

RIP wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:13 pm Anybody else get that thing where you open some crisps, and have to consume the whole bag in one go no matter what size bag it is? No restraint me.
Yup :shock:
RIP wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:01 pm My lad sent me a photo of his snail and garlic crisps earlier. I kid you not. Utterly horrifying. I've cut him out of my will.
He needs to send some of them to Mark Radcliffe and Stuart Maconie for their "Crisps on the radio" feature on their 6Music show.
RIP

Post by RIP »

thenorthwind wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:20 pm He needs to send some of them to Mark Radcliffe and Stuart Maconie for their "Crisps on the radio" feature on their 6Music show.
Ooh ta for that. Have passed it on