Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

In Reverse

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by In Reverse »

JohnClimber wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:52 pm Well that was a bastard to get washed just for a photo
I know your boss John. :lol: or I used to at least - I was PM on the Ballast Phoenix place over the road when that was being built and Sean was just setting up shop. Summer 2015.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Managed to persuade a 51 year old motorcycle into life and it sounds pretty fit. Just need the registration number and we're off (to the shops for now). Beer time!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is that the Triumph you bought Phil?
May the bridges you burn light your way
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Landslide wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:14 pm Just found this on Twitter:

The Tyneside Vagabonds. Heck yes.
You're going to love this then:
https://youtu.be/6DNUIxubdGg
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

HECK YESSSSSSSS!!!!!
All the grins. :grin: :grin: :grin:
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

Its been a good day motorbike wise the Postman delivered a letter from the DVLA containing a registration document for the lockdown project and I also managed to get my old Ariel started after it has spent a long time unloved .
Just got back from a ride on the Malvern's glorious sunset one side fantastic moon the other Bivvy set up in the garden for tonight and this morning I found a bumblebee that looked dead put it in the sun and tried the sugary water trick and a couple of hours later it flew off so that's definitely a reason to be cheery .
RIP

Post by RIP »

Landslide wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:24 pm HECK YESSSSSSSS!!!!!
Great stuff. It was a pleasure to watch those slim-tubed machines being put through their paces. It caused me to reflect on how workmanlike and understated a lovely slim-tubed MTB looks as well (such as, oh, erm, well yes, my own P7 funnily enough :grin: ). These days I have to actually look away when presented with some Forth Bridge (*) of a (usually alu) frame. Came across this during my musings: https://www.singletracks.com/mtb-gear/e ... ke-frames/. Smashing. And don't get me started on those vile curly-wurly down-tube frames either, such as this horror-story. S@nta Cruz are a serial offender too.

Go on, away you go.... I can take it.... :smile:

(*) a crap example of course. The Forth Bridge is one of the most perfect slim-tubed constructions on the planet. Nice one Sir John. Built with steel of course - none of that aluminium or carbon rubbish :lol: .
Last edited by RIP on Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:44 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

In Reverse wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:34 pm
JohnClimber wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:52 pm Well that was a bastard to get washed just for a photo
I know your boss John. :lol: or I used to at least - I was PM on the Ballast Phoenix place over the road when that was being built and Sean was just setting up shop. Summer 2015.
Small world,
He's not done that bad, this is he 6th million plus mobile tower crane in his fleet.
I joined them a couple of years after you were here
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Loved that :-bd Almost enough for me to dig out the old 1980s BSA... almost.... it's hung on the workshop wall and when I'm drinking a tea and looking at the 2x5 gearing (which seems to be mainly sized around flat road speed) I do wonder how I ever managed to ride it uphill, I must have been tougher then, certainly younger, so much younger that I still had hair like those lot :smile:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:35 pm
Loved that :-bd Almost enough for me to dig out the old 1980s BSA... almost.... it's hung on the workshop wall and when I'm drinking a tea and looking at the 2x5 gearing (which seems to be mainly sized around flat road speed) I do wonder how I ever managed to ride it uphill, I must have been tougher then, certainly younger, so much younger that I still had hair like those lot :smile:
You had 10 gear.! We all had 5 in Yorkshire... :-bd

You probably stood up 'n' mashed the pedals. With ne'er a thought that the chain might snap. Else you'd'of repaired with your Cyclo chain 'riveter' tool.
Not get to the top? Not if your mates were there! And absolutely Never in lowest gear.
Gear chain changes,' grind-slip, whizz, then fine tune by ear.... Suntour / Simplex
Down tube shifters...
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:13 pm Is that the Triumph you bought Phil?
Yup. Not quite out of the woods yet but reg not likely to appear until end of March so plenty of time to fettle.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Raggedstone wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:40 pm Its been a good day motorbike wise the Postman delivered a letter from the DVLA containing a registration document for the lockdown project and I also managed to get my old Ariel started after it has spent a long time unloved .
Just got back from a ride on the Malvern's glorious sunset one side fantastic moon the other Bivvy set up in the garden for tonight and this morning I found a bumblebee that looked dead put it in the sun and tried the sugary water trick and a couple of hours later it flew off so that's definitely a reason to be cheery .
More detail (and pics) required. Whit Ariel?
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

htrider wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:15 am
Raggedstone wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:40 pm Its been a good day motorbike wise the Postman delivered a letter from the DVLA containing a registration document for the lockdown project and I also managed to get my old Ariel started after it has spent a long time unloved .
More detail (and pics) required. Whit Ariel?
It is a 1958 nh350 found in a very sorry state it had been turned into a cafe racer the seat/tank unit was a home made fibreglass effort but it looked like the rest was still the original bike without mudguards and cylinder head .
ImageIMGP0254 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
I had taken the engine out by this stage for a strip down and all was good it came with the speedo that read 12500 miles which i think was genuine and the seat unit had a registration number which after a lot of effort and research the DVLA agreed i could keep . The Kitehead Trust were a great help with the records and it was them that showed engine frame and registation numbers all belonged together .
I put it back together wanting a bike that wasnt to smart for all year use but when new tank seat and paintwork is done its another mostly shiny one .
ImageIMG_0737 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
That was around 2014 after which for various reasons it was just left in the back of the shed . When i tried to get it going again the spark had gone the magneto neeeded re magnetising fuel poured out everywhere and oil all over the floor thats sorted just got to sort out the charging now and it will get used this time .

Lock down project now this was supposed to be shiny

ImageIMG_0371 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
I only sent the dating certifiate off to the DVLA two weeks ago and log book back already i was expecting around six weeks so you may have to crack on with the Triumph Phil
Last edited by Raggedstone on Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

BSA's lovely Kevin.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Two lovely bikes there Kevin. :-bd
Ariel singles are great things (I have two!) a solid engine design and really good handling.
Interesting that you got your log book so quick. Must crack on!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sorry, just an update from last Friday ... I'm thinking the candy black / silver combo is a bit bland. I'm now working on something similar but with a bit more sparkle :-bd

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Let the blower do the talking :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That's going on something else Steve :wink:
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:13 pm That's going on something else Steve :wink:
Please tell me it’s a step-thru or something wildly inappropriate :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Please tell me it’s a step-thru or something wildly inappropriate :-bd
Funny you should say that. Had I got hold of an AMR300 rather than a 500, I was going to build a 140cc blown Honda Cub but a 500 is too big a capacity for it.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Yay, the sun is shining again at last, and even the dogs know it's cheery Friday! Very rare (as they're both a bit old and stiff and generally can't be asked), but they had a bit of a proper play with each other this morning :grin: - all fur and teeth and bad breath everywhere (and that's just me :lol: )

And I'm going to go for a March BAM in the garden tonight... have been putting it off as it's been so cold, but I've checked the weather forecast and it's going to turn wet, so I'll take dry and cold anytime. Now question is where shall I pitch? Hammock or tent?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Tent.

As it happens, one of my favourite Bonzo Dog tracks. Here's the lyrics for you to sing yourself to sleep:

I'm gonna get you in my tent, tent, tent tent, tent
Where we can both experiment, ment, ment, ment, ment
Yeah, yeah, it's so convenient, ent, ent, ent
Let's take a taxi to my tent
Oh yeah, my love is so insatiable
In a stoic sort of way
But my baby is as beautiful
As a tourniquet
I'm gonna, I'm gonna, I'm gonna, I'm gonna, I'm gonna, I'm gonna
I'm gonna get you in my tent, tent, tent tent, tent
Whoa, whoa, it's only common sense, sense, sense
I know that you won't mind the stench, stench, stench
Of the sacrament
Go on, let this love destroy her
I can't control this paranoia
I have to get a showbiz lawyer
To stop me
Spill, smash, smash, spill, spill, drug, wipe, wipe, trap, scream, tear, spit,…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOE5nLGkHJE
Last edited by RIP on Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

CF indeed. So I've just had my nanotrackerbot installed and am fully plugged into The Matrix as a result. If you believe the conspiracies I'm now a genetically modified organism (*) as well so presumably won't be allowed into Waitrose any longer. Oh the shame. The best bit was rolling up on the Brommie and causing all sorts of confusion about whether she is a bike or not.

(*) this is complete bollox obviously
Last edited by RIP on Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Following last Friday's candy black panel, I thought I'd do another but this time a metallic black base with some silver flake ont' top ... hello 1974 :wink:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

RIP wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:14 pm CF indeed. So I've just had my nanotrackerbot installed and am fully plugged into The Matrix as a result. If you believe the conspiracies I'm now a genetically modified organism (*) as well so presumably won't be allowed into Waitrose any longer. Oh the shame. The best bit was rolling up on the Brommie and causing all sorts of confusion about whether she is a bike or not.

(*) this is complete bollox obviously
I still believe you are, almost completely human! *.

We're only 50% human as mature adults, (there must be atleast one on this site!).
We were 100% when pre-Born. Built have be diluted by (necessary) freeloader, bacteria, faura & fauna in out gut and other surfaces.
So all the dirty Backpacking is a wonderful pre (& Pro?) biotic!
(Further listening more science)
BBC Radio: Frontiers Gut Microbiota
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b03h429g
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..