Bearbonesnorm

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

...... and it's just started to p1ss it down :roll:
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:23 am At the start of March 2020 I was lucky enough to get hold of a ticket for an event that's very hard to get a ticket for ... then we all know what happened don't we. Well, today is the day that I finally get to go. Death-trap and myself will be meandering our way down to Usk in the sunshine, stopping off at various petrol stations to refuel on Esso premium and Greggs before admiring some of the best choppers in Europe :-bd
:-bd
Whenever I hear the word 'chopper' I'm always reminded of that scene in 'I bought a Vampire Motorcycle' where one of the bike gang blokes leers at Neil Morrisey's girlfriend and says "Wanna see my choppa!" whilst brandishing an axe.

Good luck!
Verena

Post by Verena »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:23 am At the start of March 2020 I was lucky enough to get hold of a ticket for an event that's very hard to get a ticket for ... then we all know what happened don't we. Well, today is the day that I finally get to go. Death-trap and myself will be meandering our way down to Usk in the sunshine, stopping off at various petrol stations to refuel on Esso premium and Greggs before admiring some of the best choppers in Europe :-bd
Ah is that what it was, I passed about a hundred or so lovely Harleys in Brecon at lunchtime - them trying really hard not to look uncool being stuck in the same traffic jam as everyone else....
Verena

Post by Verena »

Yay, it's cheery Friday, and I'm looking forward to a fun filled weekend with endless cafes, pubs and ice creams, with a bit of pedaling and paddling in between...
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Verena wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:06 pm Yay, it's cheery Friday, and I'm looking forward to a fun filled weekend with endless cafes, pubs and ice creams, with a bit of pedaling and paddling in between...
So am I. I'm racing in a gig regatta on Saturday then going to a Steam Fair
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Went for a ride this morning with a friend. Along the canal and the river, called in at a nice bakery for coffee and scran.
Later, bivvy time with Trep.
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

On this day, in 1972, half a century ago, :shock: I married my first wife.

We’re still married - I just introduce her as that to keep her on her toes.. :grin:
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
psling

Post by psling »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:49 pm On this day, in 1972, half a century ago, :shock: I married my first wife.

We’re still married - I just introduce her as that to keep her on her toes.. :grin:
Happy Golden Anniversary ! :-bd
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

psling wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:39 pm
frogatthefarriers wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:49 pm On this day, in 1972, half a century ago, :shock: I married my first wife.

Happy Golden Anniversary ! :-bd
Isn't a certain type of shower an olde tradition on said day?
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I think Stu's already had it:
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:02 am ...... and it's just started to p1ss it down :roll:
RIP

Post by RIP »

:grin:

Talking of showers, I'm lying on my back on the (what passes for our) lawn staring at the clouds (*). Fascinating. They're totally stationary (**) (***).

(*) Well that's what I like to do anyway on a Cheery Friday when the rest of the world's going to hell in a handcart (****).

(**) so obviously we won't be benefitting from Stu's showers anytime soon.

(***) well plainly they aren't. But it's all relative isn't it? :smile:

(****) they're having to go in a handcart because they haven't got the cash to fill up their motor.
Last edited by RIP on Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Raggedstone wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:59 pm Excellent stuff Bob, Dee/Stu and Reg had my first beans and courgettes tonight also bloody lovely . The little stream at the bottom of the garden mysteriously seems to have developed a small dam resulting in a small pool ideal for water extraction should anyone be minded to do such a thing :smile:
Hopefully our cases will be scheduled for the same day Reg
Our courgettes have been providing for a few weeks now. At some point they'll go mad and I'll have to make this year's batch of chutney :grin: Also trying aubergine this year, not sure how they'll get on or if we'll get any fruit/aubergines from them before winter arrives.

As for your stream - play the Father Ted card: "The water was just resting in my allotment" :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

Last year I managed to eat all the courgettes using every recipe I could find as the cupboard had quite a bit of chutney in it there is a gap now so hoping for a productive year :smile: The beans and courgettes went in a bit late this year so now on watch to stop the big ones
Verena

Post by Verena »

Bearlegged wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:35 pm Went for a ride this morning with a friend. Along the canal and the river, called in at a nice bakery for coffee and scran.
Later, bivvy time with Trep.
Sounds great, have fun :cool:
Verena

Post by Verena »

Dave Barter wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:33 pm
Verena wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:06 pm Yay, it's cheery Friday, and I'm looking forward to a fun filled weekend with endless cafes, pubs and ice creams, with a bit of pedaling and paddling in between...
So am I. I'm racing in a gig regatta on Saturday then going to a Steam Fair
Sounds interesting, what's a gig regatta please??
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Just had a gentle pedal out to give the bike a check after yesterday's servicing and saw the Ranskill Tyre Fire about 3 miles away. Oh dear. Well thats all the environmental benefit of every cyclist in the country for the next century wiped out in the course of an afternoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQH5skKe03Q
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

It’s a cheery Friday because it’s the first family holiday in a couple of years. We managed to miss most of the rain on the way to Porthmadog and it’s been a glorious sunny day.
RIP

Post by RIP »

We all hope DT got you there and back ok? Longest trip so far?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

We all hope DT got you there and back ok? Longest trip so far?
Yes Reg - around 200 miles total. You can just make out my handlebars (top right) :wink:

May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Thought I might chip in to the "annoyed" thread, but not again, I need to get a grip, cheer up in fact!

So... start from the basics... I've got a brew and some biscuits so I'm well fed and watered... and I'm sat in a fairly cool house (no not style-wise, no hope of that whatsoever :grin: - temperature-wise: 19c) so I'm sheltered... there's many in this world who might not be able to say those things.

The moan was going to be why do people sit in cars fiddling with their mobile phones, with the engine running? I've seen drivers doing that for minutes on end. It's often the case of starting their engine then doing the fiddling, whereas good sense might advise the other way round. Anyway, just been to town, and went past one bloke who was doing just that whilst also sitting on double-yellows. So that's THREE offences in one go - good score that man!

But... hey, let's turn it round... I went on my bike as always, so I wasn't sat sweating in the traffic queue into town, wasting time, fuel and money. Hurrah!

Next cheeriness... I'm on a roll now... and I'll combine a "done to your bike" into here as well for efficiency.... rear bike light packed up, so have replaced with a Cateye "Wearable Mini" rear light... 200 lumens and only 12g!

Finally, a third thread combined into cheeriness.... "what am I reading"... was getting jittery as no books on the go... took me Brompton into Heart Foundation charidee shop and bought: (I take 'em back afterwards, so it's more sort of hired really)
- Bob Mortimer "And Away" autobio
- "So You Think You're Clever?" (Oxford/Cambridge Uni interview questions, "here is a piece of bark please talk about it", hmm, probably why I ended up at a Poly)
- Carlo Rovelli (the renowned physicist) "There Are Places In The World Where Rules Are Less Important Than Kindness"
- Nicholas Mee "The Higgs Force"

And finally, just going out again to get a lime so I can use up the last of the tequila this afternoon :wink: .
Last edited by RIP on Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:39 pm, edited 8 times in total.

faustus

Post by faustus »

Well done Reg for being able to drink when it's hot, it always makes me hotter so I stay away from it. :grin:

Another one for the annoyed thread, but that has temporary good consequences: Most major supermarkets are withdrawing disposable BBQs from sale! Obviously late in the day, but it's be nice to think that it becomes too much of an anti-social thing to do in summer months, and a future government bans them (the current incumbents won't).
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I had to let someone go this morning after they failed a 3 month probationary period. Very stressful thing to do and made worse by them being late. I was all fired up and ready to give the bad news. They walked in and resigned immediately, got another job. What a sh1t way to be cheered up. But saved me a lot of stress.
RIP

Post by RIP »

faustus wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:11 pm Well done Reg for being able to drink when it's hot, it always makes me hotter so I stay away from it. :grin:
Just a small one, and it'll be well chilled...
Most major supermarkets are withdrawing disposable BBQs from sale
Aye, that's cheery. Just the word "disposable" makes you want to cringe. I realise that ultimately everything IS "disposable" but for some single-use items there's obvious alternatives.

(Bad luck Dave, hopefully the weekend will be cheerier....)
Last edited by RIP on Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PaulE

Post by PaulE »

RIP wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:50 pm
faustus wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:11 pm Well done Reg for being able to drink when it's hot, it always makes me hotter so I stay away from it. :grin:
Just a small one, and it'll be well chilled...
Most major supermarkets are withdrawing disposable BBQs from sale
Aye, that's cheery. Just the word "disposable" makes you want to cringe. I realise that ultimately everything IS "disposable" but for some single-use items there's obvious alternatives.
Excellent news, although there was still a big pile for sale in Lidl today... Tweet/emails on the way now...