Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Lazarus

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by Lazarus »

presumably "we have the technology" these days to assist?
Presumably we could put sensors that trigger the stick they carry but its not exactly an easy or simple solution ?

other issue is how you cross the road when electric vehicles are silent and therefore you cannot listen for them
RIP

Post by RIP »

All fair points, although I can see "noise generators" being mandated for electric vehicles eventually....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Can we make out bikes sound like motorbikes like we did as kids :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Feels like autumn again today and looking at the forecast it would appear that today could indeed be the first day of said season but as this is a cheery thread, we'll say no more about it and focus on the following:

I changed the oil on Deathtrap yesterday for some high zinc content which should hopefully go some way towards making sure it doesn't eat its own cams.

I believe tickets have been posted for a show that I was meant to be going to in 2020 but will now be attending in a fortnights time.

I've got a nescafe latte ont' go which I'm quite partial to.
I can see "noise generators" being mandated for electric vehicles eventually....
Deathtrap and myself are doing our bit in this regard :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:48 am Deathtrap and myself are doing our bit in this regard :wink:
:smile:

Mmm it does feel like Autumn. All the dry dead leaves from those stupidly hot days are contributing to it I think.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Aye you've got to love British weather - 31 degrees on Monday, 15 degrees on Friday. Out for a nice cool bike ride later :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Cool and drizzly here. Probably better conditions for riding than earlier in the week TBH but I've been recovering from a really painful sore throat/lack of energy illness (apparently not covid though) and have spent a few hours in the kitchen making, amongst other things, a vat of leek and potato soup and a massive chocolate and banana loaf. Pro tip: loaf is healthier than cake, even though it contains exactly the same ingredients (must be a shape thing, I dunno) and also, because it's a loaf, not a cake, you can slice in and spread extra butter on it. Win-win :grin:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Very cheery Friday here in rural Cataluña, spent the morning building the furniture that we bought yesterday at the he'll on earth known as IKEA Barcelona. 6 months ago we bought a little house in our local village of El Perello and have been renovating it with new bathroom, kitchen, wiring, plumbing etc etc. We're now entering finishing straight hence the need for flat pack furniture. We decided to reward ourselves for the work in the current heatwave, it's been mid 30's + for what seems like weeks, by having lunch in the cafe at the end of the street. For those unaware of Spanish culture, the Menu del Dia is the best value food you can get, especially away from the coast. We live 6 miles inland yet today we sat down to a 3 course meal of local goat's cheese or tuna salad, monkfish with prawns and mussels, chocolate mousse washed down with a bottle of good red wine and coffee for €12 each. Once we move down to the village I'm a little concerned this could become habit forming :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Kind of feels cheery for no particular reason. I'm just making some explosion valves (don't worry, they don't actually explode themselves) and they're turning out better than I thought they would. It's not raining and I should receive a delivery of spinnaker later which will keep me busy this weekend.

Speaking of rain and therefor weather - has anyone else noticed that autumn seems to have arrived a bit early? There's a definite autumn feel / smell to the air. The blackberries are ripe and the leaves have begun falling off the trees.

Here's Ian Dury: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIMNXogXnvE
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Stills feel pretty summery up here, the sun was fair roasting as I walked down to the village shop to get lunch earlier. Not much to report here, will be nailing together the Triumph lump this weekend with gardening between times and maybe a wee bike ride on Sunday.
with some beer of course :-bd
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

I might as well continue the theme it's cheery here because for the first time in over 20 years all my motorbikes are in one place so I can do an accurate head count :oops:
Also packed and ready to go out for my July bivvy I was hoping to do something a bit more adventurous but ran out of time so a trip up the hills without any form of stove as it's tinder dry and I don't want to appear in " now I know who starts the fires" thread
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:48 pm Speaking of rain and therefor weather - has anyone else noticed that autumn seems to have arrived a bit early? There's a definite autumn feel / smell to the air. The blackberries are ripe and the leaves have begun falling off the trees.
I noticed the smell of decaying leaves when I popped out earlier. Very autumnal, though the weather still feels summery.
RIP

Post by RIP »

thenorthwind wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:17 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:48 pm Speaking of rain and therefor weather - has anyone else noticed that autumn seems to have arrived a bit early? There's a definite autumn feel / smell to the air. The blackberries are ripe and the leaves have begun falling off the trees.
I noticed the smell of decaying leaves when I popped out earlier. Very autumnal, though the weather still feels summery.
Just been on an emergency blackberry picking outing, which surely shouldn't normally happen until September?

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

RIP wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:45 pm
thenorthwind wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:17 pm
Just been on an emergency blackberry picking outing, which surely shouldn't normally happen until September?
The blackberries outside the house are starting to ripen, this is about three to four weeks earlier than normal. So definitely a bit odd.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Getting in early this week :wink:

Decided to try and grow cucumbers this year after a disastrous attempt a few years ago and they've done rather well and picked the first one tonight - rather tasty :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've just had some of Dee's freshly picked green beans for tea Bob and I'm now pretty convinced many people would eat better if their veg wasn't wrapped in plastic then sat in a warehouse for a couple of weeks ... these were lovely.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Been helping to water the 'community garden' in the park during the hot weather. Seems to have paid off because there's loads of courgettes and toms and whatnot. Looks like ratatouille for tea tomorrow then. Seem to spend all my time watering things at the moment - all my guerilla-planted oaks, hazels, hawthorns etc are still alive after weekly dousings - and before you say, using water from the river not a hosepipe :smile: . Then again I'll probably get done by the EA for unauthorised river-water abstraction :???: .

Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

Excellent stuff Bob, Dee/Stu and Reg had my first beans and courgettes tonight also bloody lovely . The little stream at the bottom of the garden mysteriously seems to have developed a small dam resulting in a small pool ideal for water extraction should anyone be minded to do such a thing :smile:
Hopefully our cases will be scheduled for the same day Reg
RIP

Post by RIP »

:lol:

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

At the start of March 2020 I was lucky enough to get hold of a ticket for an event that's very hard to get a ticket for ... then we all know what happened don't we. Well, today is the day that I finally get to go. Death-trap and myself will be meandering our way down to Usk in the sunshine, stopping off at various petrol stations to refuel on Esso premium and Greggs before admiring some of the best choppers in Europe :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The Monty Python Lunberjack Championships?

Mucho jealous.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The Monty Python Lunberjack Championships?
Maybe Bob, I know there'll be boxing (with great big gloves). I'll admit, for someone who doesn't really do excitement, I'm quite excited. :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:23 am petrol stations to refuel on Esso premium and Greggs
Quite a potent mixture that. What on earth do they put in those pasties? Have you had to modify the engine?
before admiring some of the best choppers in Europe :-bd
Sigh.

Talking of streams and suchlike, is yours still flowing OK Stu? I guess it has quite a good catchment. Bit of lead in it though?

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Talking of streams and suchlike, is yours still flowing OK Stu? I guess it has quite a good catchment. Bit of lead in it though?
Stream? Surely you mean the mighty Afon Fachdre? Obviously it's not high Reg but I have seen it lower. Reservoirs are very low though, not quite 2018 low but low.