Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by JohnClimber »

Top work Stuart :YMAPPLAUSE:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

You're good people Stu... but those of us that can glimpse beyond your gruff exterior have always known this. :smile:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

We need pictures Stu (please) :grin:

Lovely story btw, very touching
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You lot have got me all wrong, I'm only doing it in the hope he leaves me something nice when he dies :wink:

I'll do you a picture when it's fully finished Simon.
May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Looking forward to it Stu
RIP

Post by RIP »

Watching the goldfinches on our birdfeeders. Great entertainment. I'd say "free entertainment" but they're going through those sunflower hearts like me through a choccy bar. We're having to buy them by the lorryload to keep up.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

RIP wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:20 pm Watching the goldfinches on our birdfeeders. Great entertainment. I'd say "free entertainment" but they're going through those sunflower hearts like me through a choccy bar. We're having to buy them by the lorryload to keep up.
Nice Reg. Here this morning I was watching the family of blue tits (yes, people need to stop letting blokes name birds) in the tangled mass of vegetation at the bottom of my garden. They're into the sunflower seed feeder and the suet blocks. They're lovely, as is the robin that occasionally turns up to bully the life out of them (little thug) I've also managed to attract four magpies, which Im pretty sure is mum, dad and two kids, and various other blow ins, including a lesser spotted woodpecker, thrush :roll: lovely fat wood pigeons and blackbirds.

But my favourite is the massive mob of starlings that turn up to fight over a handful of mealworms I chuck out every morning. They are hilarious.
I'm just going outside ...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Aye another weekend beckons. Weather looking pretty rubbish so hoping to grab some BB200 practice in my local hills. After a few beers natch.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Anyone remember James May's Toy Stories? Just watched the "glider" one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y19b0KCFiVc

What I like is the way you (well OK, a Famous TV Personality, but the point is still valid) can select an absurd, hare-brained, why-do-it, bound-to-fail scheme and then loads of experts, amateurs, crackpots and wellwishers suddenly get behind the project and make it happen. There are many examples of this, no matter how bonkers the idea (or because of?). It's uplifting (*). Marvellous.

(*) 5 seconds later, yes, I realise that's A Pun! I'm getting old.
Last edited by RIP on Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

"We appear to have reverted to impatient ten year olds but in reality we're a crack team....... Oh. Unfortunately Fatty Carswell our Australian cameraman has confused his van keys with a fun-sized Mars Bar".

This sounds horribly like any one of Reg's bikepacking outings!
Last edited by RIP on Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

TheBrownDog wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:05 pm
RIP wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:20 pm Watching the goldfinches on our birdfeeders. Great entertainment. I'd say "free entertainment" but they're going through those sunflower hearts like me through a choccy bar. We're having to buy them by the lorryload to keep up.
Nice Reg. Here this morning I was watching the family of blue tits (yes, people need to stop letting blokes name birds) in the tangled mass of vegetation at the bottom of my garden. They're into the sunflower seed feeder and the suet blocks. They're lovely, as is the robin that occasionally turns up to bully the life out of them (little thug) I've also managed to attract four magpies, which Im pretty sure is mum, dad and two kids, and various other blow ins, including a lesser spotted woodpecker, thrush :roll: lovely fat wood pigeons and blackbirds.

But my favourite is the massive mob of starlings that turn up to fight over a handful of mealworms I chuck out every morning. They are hilarious.
Continuing the avian theme, I’ve been worrying about a family of swallows that have been rearing a very late clutch. All the rest of the swallows have flown weeks ago. Well a couple of days ago they fledged and now they too have gone. I hope they make it.

While I’m here, these swallows remind me of a tale of a swallow that didn’t want to fly south so hung around until it got too cold and he had to revise his plans. But he’d left it too late and while flying, his wings iced up and he crashed down into a farmyard. While lying there, dying of cold, a passing cow pooped (as they do), all over him. Now, because of the heat in the poo he revived a bit and, feeling chirpy, (sorry), started to sing. Big mistake. The farm cat heard him, pulled him out and had swallow for dinner.

There are three lessons to be learned from this tale:-

1) Someone who sh*ts on you is not necessarily your enemy.
2) Someone who pulls you out of the sh*t is not necessarily your friend, and
3) If you’re warm and happy in a pile of poo - keep your mouth shut.

Sorry :wink:
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Turned into a bit of an expensive Friday, bid on a motorbike off f***ing ebay, won it, paid for it, picked it up today..... :???:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What you bought Phil?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

'70 Triumph Trophy 650. I.e. like what I used to have. Except this one is a US bike which is totally original and in remarkably good nick - pretty much exactly what I've been looking for and relatively reasonably priced.... So will get it running and if it sounds OK put some miles on it then do a leisurely engine rebuild over the winter to sort the oil leaks.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Very nice too :-bd
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

RIP

Post by RIP »

Ah, thanks 'Slide, well spotted! Reg as Hamlet, now that's a weird fusion.

Fairly cheery Friday as it happens. Mrs Perrin driving us up to your neck of the woods for a week in t'Peaks (Elton). Haven't told her about the old mine shaft over the back wall just yet. Not had a hols for yonks. Parachuting into Steel City to extract daughter Perrin just before the portcullis slams down, so she can have a few days away too. Will dump her at the border afterwards and she can make her way back into the mayhem. Was hoping to pop in to Guat Shoes in School Rd but that's out now, and Mrs P says I'm Not Allowed to go to Hathersage for AK either so that's slightly less cheery.
Last edited by RIP on Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

298 Abbeydale Road Sheffield S7 1FL

You're welcome...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A nice trip to Newtown to purchase a new grinder - lovely 4.5" Makita and just £49.95. I've already removed all the safety features, so we're good to go.

While that may not sound too cheery, I feel it will probably be the highlight of the next 17 days, I'm just hoping I've not peaked too early.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:40 am I've already removed all the safety features, so we're good to go.
:roll: :grin:

RIP

Post by RIP »

Landslide wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:29 am 298 Abbeydale Road Sheffield S7 1FL

You're welcome...
Currently in delicate negotiations. <Sybil>"That's not the quickest way to X Rd now is it? You did this to me last time" </Sybil>, <Basil><hunched-up>"no dear, but it's quite near to that shop you like in Nether Edge"</hunched-up></Basil>. Might have to give up something in return.
Last edited by RIP on Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Forge Bakehouse next-door does excellent pastries if that's to Sybil's liking.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Ooh, good call. <Hipster Alert> Had a really nice cheese and mushroom sourdough toastie in there once.

Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

It's my birthday. Where's all my cards?

So what random present should I treat myself to.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Happy birthday.
Hope you get cake.
Sorry I'm a bit far away to supply said cake.