Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by sean_iow »

Way off topic but brought back some memories that made me smile. I was looking through an old backup drive for some pictures and found these :smile:

Back in the early 2000s I had a pair of PG Tips monkeys that lived on my desk in the office. I had a running joke with the other engineer that they were in charge of the large format plotter and looked after the day to day running, sorting ink and media changes and ordering supplies. Obviously I did all this but as he never saw me do these things I insisted they did it overnight when we weren't in. When the Beijing Olympics was on (2008) I made them a Tibetan flag as a protest against the Chinese occupation.

The engineer was most impressed by their stance. Later that year I had a week off work and they came home with me as they get the same leave as I do. When we returned this was on my desk where they sit :lol:

Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

In this thread it's on topic to be off topic :smile: . And that was cheery so it's on topic anyway.

You and your furry animals, I don't know. Largest one?

Some sunflower seeds turned up in the post, I've no idea where from. Stuck 'em in pots 2 weeks ago and let them rip. I like watching the progress of my little babbies.

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I got the pipes for project Death-Trap tacked up. They're curvy, they're bendy, they both run through the down tubes. It makes me cheery.

May the bridges you burn light your way
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

RIP wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:40 am In this thread it's on topic to be off topic :smile: . And that was cheery so it's on topic anyway.

You and your furry animals, I don't know. Largest one?

Some sunflower seeds turned up in the post, I've no idea where from. Stuck 'em in pots 2 weeks ago and let them rip. I like watching the progress of my little babbies.

A little behind you but these arrived from USA a week ago apparently they are giants!
Sunflower competition is on :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:54 am I got the pipes for project Death-Trap tacked up. They're curvy, they're bendy, they both run through the down tubes. It makes me cheery.

Beautiful, I once built a large hydraulic press for rolls Royce aerospace, it had a set of twined valves linked to pressure relief valves. The 10mm pipework had to curve over and around other stuff, a proper head scratcher allowing for all the bend radius.
I bet the exhaust pipes took a similar amount of thought.

RIP

Post by RIP »

sunflower competition - ooer. I'd better start getting some tips about what to feed them then. Raw sewage? Dead mice? Scotch bonnet chilis?

"Project Death Trap" - well at least you're being honest with yourself which is always a good policy :lol: . Almost as curvy as Mrs Perrin they are. And almost as bendy as me.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:54 am I got the pipes for project Death-Trap tacked up. They're curvy, they're bendy, they both run through the down tubes. It makes me cheery.

I like them, I assume they can be removed somehow? It reminds me of one of those Chinese wire puzzles that used to come in christmas crackers where the parts had to be rotated/moved in just the right way to separate them :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Almost as curvy as Mrs Perrin they are. And almost as bendy as me.
:grin:
I like them, I assume they can be removed somehow? It reminds me of one of those Chinese wire puzzles that used to come in christmas crackers where the parts had to be rotated/moved in just the right way to separate them
Yeah, they do come off Sean :wink: The pipes are just a push-fit into the head but they go in 35mm, so I needed to allow 35mm minimum clearance in every direction. Once out of the exhaust ports they kind of unscrew through the rails.
I bet the exhaust pipes took a similar amount of thought.
Only two pipes Steve so not that bad really. I had a vague idea of what I wanted but nothing absolute which made the process easier.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:54 am pipes
Oh. Post lady's just been. Invoice from Lincoln Diesels Ltd for eight cylinder liners. £4080. Plus VAT. You and your cheery.

RIP

Post by RIP »

sean_iow wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:23 am It reminds me of one of those Chinese wire puzzles that used to come in christmas crackers
:smile: That's a nice analogy! Can just see Stu's Christmas afternoon. Everyone's bored after lunch and slumped in front of the telly (sorry, wireless in Stu's case). Stu says "hey, I've got this great little wire puzzle we can try". THUD on the table.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ouch, what kind of diameter are those Reg? Are they a press fit or screwed in / held by mechanical means?
slarge

Post by slarge »

Did you bend the pipes yourself Stu or get prebent sections to weld up?

Looks good by the way - I love complex 3D shapes like that!
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Is the complex pipe run for ideal length or just for looks? I always wanted to try hydro forming expansion chambers for twostrokes, cut two flat Plates,weld then just pump water in to expand, I had access to a stainless 40000psi pump but never got around to it.

Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

They look really good are they going to double up as foot warmers as well
or will the feet be in a more conventional position :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Did you bend the pipes yourself Stu or get prebent sections to weld up?
Mainly bought bends with a bit of tweaking Steve. My bender wouldn't have coped and would have creased them. I'd love a good mandrel bender but can't justlfy the cost when I'm only nobbing about and not earning with it.
Is the complex pipe run for ideal length or just for looks?
More the look really Steve but they're actually longer than they appear and equal length give or take a cm or so, so they should work fine ... be pleasantly loud mind :wink:
They look really good are they going to double up as foot warmers as well
or will the feet be in a more conventional position
Feet'll be well behind 'em. :wink:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 11:25 am they should work fine ... be pleasantly loud mind :wink:
I did wonder if that was the sum total of the exhaust? When you say 'pleasantly loud' you mean I'll be able to hear it from my house :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I did wonder if that was the sum total of the exhaust?
It is :wink: However, drippers (old british bike) don't tend to produce the same kind of noise that something like an in-line 4 does. It's a different sound and usually less offensive. I have left myself the option of making some lightly baffled tips should my estimations prove to be well out :wink:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 11:36 am It's a different sound and usually less offensive.
I remember when I was 18ish and still lived at home, our neighbor had an AJS 500 single which had a very distinctive sound. He used to ride it every Sunday morning but get out early to avoid the traffic. I wouldn't say the sound of that ticking over for 10 minutes before he left at 06:30 was 'less offensive' but that did depend somewhat on the severity of my hangover :smile:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:36 am Ouch, what kind of diameter are those Reg? Are they a press fit or screwed in / held by mechanical means?
10" press fit. Seals gone, coolant in oil; new rings and a couple of pistons while we're at it. Ker-ching. X_X . Lucky still used in ships etc. Growing sunflowers much more sensible pastime.

Last edited by RIP on Fri May 15, 2020 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

That’s a piston!

Just had cheery news, The BT Sport studio in Stratford is desperate for in rigging inspection, hopefully I’m going back to work for a week. Had enough of sitting around bored.

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

RIP wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:30 am
Oh. Post lady's just been. Invoice from Lincoln Diesels Ltd for eight cylinder liners. £4080. Plus VAT. You and your cheery.
My brother works part time at a quarry driving 40 tonne dumper trucks. One morning he sets off and after about 20 metres there’s a bang and the whole thing comes to a rapid stop.

They open up the bonnet to look at the engine and see a 5cm gap between cylinder block and head :o Looking at the EMS diagnostics it had apparently been doing 70mph!

It cost them £120,000 (+VAT) to fix.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
RIP

Post by RIP »

70mph in a dumper truck :o

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

RIP wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:30 am
They for the family runabout Reg?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I take it you have a tig welder Stu?
Looking forward to seeing this thing complete :-bd
Quote from 'I bought a vampire motorcycle': "Wanna see my choppaaa!"