Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm pretty sure I heard they were gonna play Mach so you'd best hold out for that
No sign ont' poster Reg but I can't help thinking the Mach' punk festival could make an ideal boners weekend :wink:

May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

"Dolls in Mach" - joking of course. I think! Hmm.. maybe...

Mach Punkfest - marvellous! More gigpacking. Can't see the Maccs on there :wink: . Good tagline: "Maccs in Mach to the max". Gawd, I'm getting too booked up this year. Not sure Mrs Perrin will weather me coming back two weeks after WRT. £10 for a tent? Wonder how much for a tarp? Maybe they pay US.....

Need to be careful, I'm getting overly cheerful now so something's bound to go wrong - another cheerful item is my March BaM is now in the vague planning stage. My Golden Jubilee BaM!! Intending to come over to your neck of the woods AGAIN (maybe 25th-27th-ish) for reasons which may (or not) become clear as mud eventually :grin: . Clever types may have worked out why already :wink: . I think I may as well just buy a Leighton-Caersws season ticket this year and have done with it.
Last edited by RIP on Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

Rip...
Blyth power at hitchin.

Would that be at club85??
Insanity over vanity
mfezela

Post by mfezela »

Funny how just a few specific bars of certain music can do that, making your hair stand on end
Beginning, middle and end of this for me.

https://youtu.be/nrm2B0lhvYc

Banned in South Africa in my youth and therefore compulsory listening on bootlegged cassettes.
Last edited by mfezela on Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Beginning, middle and end of this for me.
Now yer talking :-bd
mfezela

Post by mfezela »

And this is best played at full volume through headphones whilst hurtling downhill.

https://youtu.be/zCkNu9OxThc
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

BigdummySteve wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:49 pm...for all I know it could be the first step if an evil plan for world domination...
I, for one, welcome our new sweary bikepacking overlords.*

*So long as they pronounce "scone" correctly.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Cyclepeasant wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:44 pm Rip...
Blyth power at hitchin.

My massive claim to fame is I taught Joseph Porter to naked trainspot. Seriously.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

RIP wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:59 pm A fab version of "Lambrusco" on that video. Hilarious. Still tickets going for Kentish Town by the way - admittedly in that there Londinium place :wink: . I'm pretty sure I heard they were gonna play Mach so you'd best hold out for that :-bd .
Less than 3 weeks till we cycle to Nijmegen and see the Dolls. Soooo excited
RIP

Post by RIP »

Cyclepeasant wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:44 pm Rip...
Blyth power at hitchin.

Yep, see you there!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

"Less than 3 weeks till we cycle to Nijmegen and see the Dolls. Soooo excited". That'll be ace! There's an Edinburgh date now as well.

"My massive claim to fame is I taught Joseph Porter to naked trainspot. Seriously.". Why am I not in the least bit surprised :-bd . I too have a couple of stories about JP and trainspotting :wink: . His brother's now in the line-up - Jerry Hellfire, what a superb name!

Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

RIP wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:06 pm "Less than 3 weeks till we cycle to Nijmegen and see the Dolls. Soooo excited". That'll be ace! There's an Edinburgh date now as well.

"My massive claim to fame is I taught Joseph Porter to naked trainspot. Seriously.". Why am I not in the least bit surprised :-bd . I too have a couple of stories about JP and trainspotting :wink: . His brother's now in the line-up - Jerry Hellfire, what a superb name!
I toured with them in the late eighties. They were one of the first adopters of the mobile phone to get gigs. It used to ring every night on stage and the bass player would answer. Guess which tw@t was ringing.
RIP

Post by RIP »

:-bd

This Place gets more fascinating day by day.

Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

RIP wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:02 am :-bd

Agreed, did anyone go to Bowes Lyon in Stevenage ? Many a punk gig !!
Insanity over vanity
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

RIP wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:02 am :-bd

In fact I still see John from chron gen out on his bike!! I believe they are still gigging! :cool:
Insanity over vanity
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I like this game - once had the pleasure of an evening with Dave Vanian at a Rockers Reunion do in Croydon. Ended quite badly with me getting stupidly drunk and going in search of Wombles on Wimbledon Common.
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

A little late, but I jumped through the final hoop for my new job yesterday so I hand my notice in on Monday. After that I went to Ribble near Preston and tried out a CGR Ti in their car park. I also touched an Adventure Ti and the steel version. They were all very, very nice.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

We should start a punx/ska/gig/rememberence thread.
Just youtubed adx- Chinese takeaway, vigin prunes, killing joke, Ramones, sister's of mercy, x-ray spex, Siouxie,ruts,John cooper Clark,UK subs,amebix,bahuas,cure,xmal Deutschland, Elvis Costello....etc....don't get me started on two tone, Trojan etc....our youth is alive n kickin' !!!
Insanity over vanity
RIP

Post by RIP »

Was gonna hoof this into "Today's Ride", 'cos it was, erm, today's ride. But then I thought I'll stick it in here, 'cos it's, erm, Friday and this thread needs keeping alive.

Rode to Luton on NCN6, up via Sewell cutting and Dunstable.

Image....Panda's cold, brrr.

Helped a nice lady with her road cycling confidence, as she's planning a 100-miler charity ride in Ireland in July. She's only getting back into biking after stopping as a kid, so is a bit apprehensive about the whole thing to say the least. Pronounced herself well chuffed with proceedings, and wants more lessons. So Cheery Friday #1.

Rode back to Dunstable at breakneck speed to meet another lady-of-a-certain-age who's a complete beginner. She's borrowed a bike. Managed to more or less get her going after only an hour, which both of us were extremely pleased with. Seeing her again next week. You never know what's going to happen with complete beginners, but it's fantastically satisfying when they first ride unaided. Imagine, for the rest of their lives they can enjoy biking. What could be more cheery than that eh? Cheery Friday #2.

Wishing all Boners a CF too.

'Reg'

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Good work Reg. Riding is something we obviously all take for granted but just consider how much duller or less satisfying your life would have being could you not ride a bike. You've opened a door to another world for them Reg.

RIP

Post by RIP »

Thanks Stu. I must admit that however jaded I am, I get a little giggle of pleasure when I go out with aspiring bikers. You must have had the same when you were guiding. You've hit the nail on the head - we take it for granted (usually).

Anyroad, I reckon as we speak, Barter is also hopefully having a very CF because he's presumably spinning his way to Nijmegen to see the Dollies!! Lucky sod. I'm massively jealous. In fact why the hell am I not going too? How're you getting on Our Dave?

RIP

Post by RIP »

Oh, and CF #3 is James Acaster is on telly on "Would I Lie to You?" tonight and I love his totally off-the-wall humour (see "Cheese Grater" on youtube etc etc). AND CF #4 is Frankie Boyle is later on with his tour of Scotland - Aberdeen to Oban in this episode, Love him too, refreshingly and wonderfully vicious humour with few holds (*) barred, but usually totally hitting nails on heads, even though you're sitting in front of the telly going "noooo-o-o-o-o-ooooo!!!" with your head in your hands. As he says though, comedians have hit rock bottom once they start doing travel programmes :smile: .

(*) well ok, "no holds" :wink:
Last edited by RIP on Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Reg we are driving to Ferry now

Dig that groove baby!!!!!
RIP

Post by RIP »

BAST! I've got to wait until March.

Have a great time mate - need to hear all about it later. Obv thing to do is pop over to Tilburg the next day for more chaos :wink: .

Just remember - never trust Tracey!

Gregsie

Post by Gregsie »

Was working at a school teaching kids to ride at one of the shittier parts of town - think pit village, town dump next door, high unemployment, no expectations for any of the inhabitants and that crap that even the charity shops have closed.

We managed to get 8 out of the 12 five year olds riding, plus a couple of nursery kids that the school had thrown into the mix to make it worth our while.

Looks on the kids faces when they mastered riding unaided was priceless. Not their fault at that age the had they were dealt and great to show them that they could do something.

On the gig front - turned down a chance to see the Cure for £4 when I was at poly 30 years ago on the principle that I wasn't going to pay to go in my own poly's student union. In retrospect what a nobber I was.