SS Boost Hubs with freewheel thread?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

GregMay

Re: SS Boost Hubs with freewheel thread?

Post by GregMay »

Do, it'd be useful to know.

Also, what frame out of interest?
FLV

Post by FLV »

Frame is a sonder broken road.

Im awaiting a suspension frame showing up and the drivetrain on the broken road is pretty tired.
Thought id convert it for a bit. I used to ride SS a bit and enjoy it inbetween geared riding. A lot of my rides are 1 to 1.5 hours even when not locked down, SS changes things a bit thats all.

As most things, I'll be back and forth with it as i like messing around swapping stuff about in the garage too :grin:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Ahh, some bike fondling. Sorry, fettling.

I've my old Ti Fargo set up SS - surprisingly light and fun. Used my old XC race wheels and cranks - probably about 8kg all in :???:
FLV

Post by FLV »

GregMay wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:10 pm Do, it'd be useful to know.
I've had confirmation from hope that this doesnt work. The axle diameters are different so the conversion kits to get to 148 don't work together. I've pretty much given up on that wheel.
I'm considering another but not sure yet.

Screw on freewheels (paul) in boost seems to have a chainline at 55mm but my Shimano cranks are 49 or 50mm.

Faff faff, supposed to be simple!!

ah well, back to the internet it is :lol:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bit of thread resurrection here however I came across this:-
https://www.paulcomp.com/shop/component ... ord-148mm/
Almost reasonable priced :lol:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Pretty much the same price as my Hope trials hub.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

I had a look at using a Singlespeed Pro4 on my 148 boost frame a while ago. I am pretty certain you could convert a Hope Pro4 SS/T hub to 148 x 12 bolt through quite easily using a Pro4 148 axle HUB1004-10S and the normal X12 end caps.

The NDS axle dimensions are identical. The DS are different. You would need to put a 4mm approx spacer on the Axle before you fitted the DS wheel bearing (4 x HUB1009-18?) and a 2mm spacer on the axle between the last freehub bearing and the end cap. I would need to take the axles out to check the 4 & 2mm dimensions.

Im pretty certain if you ran that by the people at Hope they would mutter about warranty but agree it would work fine.

In the end I just used a normal 148 pro4 hub with a spacer set and wide based cog. The original benefit of the SS hub having a much wider DS spoke flange and less dishing on the drive side over a 135/142 geared hub is much less so than on a 141/148 boost bub.

hope pro4.JPG
(51.71 KiB) Downloaded 301 times
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

There is a youtube vid somewhere of someone doing the conversion but like you I concluded it's not worth it unless you already had the SS hub. Paul one does look nice but you'd have to factor in £100 for a WI freewheel.....
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

wriggles wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:31 pm I had a look at using a Singlespeed Pro4 on my 148 boost frame a while ago. I am pretty certain you could convert a Hope Pro4 SS/T hub to 148 x 12 bolt through quite easily using a Pro4 148 axle HUB1004-10S and the normal X12 end caps.
Got a Hope Pro 4 ssp hub for a former 135 mm frame. Then I damaged the rear triangle and got a new frame which was and still is 148 mm.

I honestly can't remember what axles and end caps I used, as I played around at my lbs until I was happy. No need to space the disc or re-center the wheel. I'm sure there's info in another, larger bike forum concerning this with what exactly you need.

So, yes, it does work just fine. No hammering or bodging. Just faffing.

Yet, it's still a Hope hub (from 2015/2016)... I have to replace the intestines every few years. Never had such issues years before with hope hubs.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

htrider wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:40 pm There is a youtube vid somewhere of someone doing the conversion but like you I concluded it's not worth it unless you already had the SS hub. Paul one does look nice but you'd have to factor in £100 for a WI freewheel.....
Cheers, just had a look at that (from "Onecogmike"?). He doesnt use the additional spacers, though which I think you would need to make sure everything stays where it should.
Anyway, I didnt need to do it myself, but thought others might find useful to know its possible if you already have the wheel and its an alternative to the Hope boost converter endcaps.