SS Boost Hubs with freewheel thread?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

GregMay

SS Boost Hubs with freewheel thread?

Post by GregMay »

Any one know if there is anyone making Boost spaced SS hubs that'll with a freewheel thread?

Before you suggest it, I don't want a Boost hub with sprockets. I want to keep using my White Industries freewheels.

New frame debating, and this is currently a sticking point.
wriggles

Re: SS Boost Hubs with freewheel thread?

Post by wriggles »

No, but given its only 3mm wider on each side, could you not just space out the hub OLN and disk mount, as an interim, whilst the usual suspects (Surly, WI, Pauls etc) catch up? With Surlys Gnot Boost standard i would be surprised if they dont update their hub at some point.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

wriggles wrote:No, but given its only 3mm wider on each side, could you not just space out the hub OLN and disk mount, as an interim, whilst the usual suspects (Surly, WI, Pauls etc) catch up? With Surlys Gnot Boost standard i would be surprised if they dont update their hub at some point.
I'd debated this - but I'm not one for having things that need to be bodged to work on my bikes, I like things that work and don't need tweaking :/ Will probably end up holding off to see what others produce. Surprised WI don't have one done yet. NO sign from Pauls or CK either.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

wriggles wrote:No, but given its only 3mm wider on each side....
Is it only 3mm wider each side? That's going from 142x12 bolt through to the boost bolt through which is 148x12. Aren't most single speed hubs either QR or bolt in, which are 135mm wide? So it's quite a big increase that way. I also have a feeling that the boost qr standard is a different width to the boost bolt through but I'm not sure on that one.

Edit, I've just had another search on the web and the boost QR standard is 141x9 which is 3mm wider either side than the old 135 rear QR standard. I've never seen a boost QR in real life but that might be because all the new bikes my friends have bought in the last year or so are either 650B enduro bikes or short travel 29er XC racers and they all had bolt thorough rears for increased stiffness. I'm afaid none of this is much help for Greg. Hopefully once the new standards have been about for a while then the manufacturers will start making hubs to suit.
Last edited by sean_iow on Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Boost QR is 141mm :roll: Either way its a 3mm increase either side. Its a good question by Greg though as I'm thinking of a new frame and want Boost for 2 x 10 plus tyre clearance, but would want to run my existing Singlespeed wheel if needed, and I hadnt thought about this. I guess going down the spacer route would maintain chainline with existing cranks as well though.
Last edited by wriggles on Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

wriggles wrote:Boost QR is 141mm :roll:
My apologies :oops: See my edit above.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Think there is a Marin out there with 141 QR

(Edit: My rolly eyes was frustration at the minefield of Hub standards :smile: )
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

wriggles wrote:Think there is a Marin out there with 141 QR
It was the Marin Pine Mountain which I found which had the description of the hub standard. A very quick search hasn't found any 141 rear hubs let alone a ss one :sad:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

wriggles wrote:Think there is a Marin out there with 141 QR

(Edit: My rolly eyes was frustration at the minefield of Hub standards :smile: )
The hub 'standards' are getting out of hand. There's 4 widths for disc braked rears not including the fat bike sizes :roll: The Marin uses Joytech hubs (which don't usually get good reviews) but only on the bottom 2 models. The top of the range Pine Mountain uses the 148 bolt through.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

I "get" a wider rear boost hub for wheel stiffness and plus tyre clearance but dont understand why the 150mm downhill standard wasnt used!

I am not against using spacers on hubs though if it works. My fat bike front wheel is a 135 RDS fitted to a 150mm bolt through fork using the correct Hope spacers and a Superstar Centrelock/6 bolt adaptor to space the disk out and it has worked fine for 12 months. Saved buying a new hub/spokes and rebuilding the wheel.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

It's easier when you don't think of them as standards. Just options.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

I would prefer the option of easily swapping components between bikes and frames though :grin:

(I can currently use the wheels from my Full Suss Turner Sultan on my Tripster touring bike. I like that Option)
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I think one of the Alpkit bikes uses the 141mm Boost QR option too.
jameso

Post by jameso »

About 141 hubs, QR 141 is the width of a thru axle 148 boost hub when you take off the width of the thru axle endcaps that recess into the frame dropouts, for QR this isnt needed. So Hope etc boost hubs should have the ability to convert between the 2 at some point soon, it's just the caps that change not the hub.
Prob known to some but just for clarity : )
mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

but I'm not one for having things that need to be bodged to work on my bikes, I like things that work and don't need tweaking
For what it's worth I've been using one of the front hub boost adaptors (2xmm spacers electrical taped to existing hope 15mm end caps and a 5mm rotor spacer) and it's gone entirely unnoticed by me. Swapping the wheel onto a different bike would only be as much hassle as it would normally (assuming I had to change the rotor). Yes, it's a little bit of a bodge (most things involving tape are, in my experience) but it really doesn't bother me and that sort of thing often does. On a singlespeed rear I can't imaging it would need any more tweaking than the usual setting of the chainline.

I suppose I'm trying to say is yes, it's a little bit of a bodge but don't let it stop you doing something you want to because it's not that much of one.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Onyx do a boost SS hub, but it's for sprockets :(
https://onyxrp.com/store/mtb-hubs/mtb-b ... 12mm-thru/
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

mountainbaker wrote:Onyx do a boost SS hub, but it's for sprockets :(
https://onyxrp.com/store/mtb-hubs/mtb-b ... 12mm-thru/
Yeah, I'm getting the same feeling from other buddies at the moment.

I'm in no rush, if anything, it'll stop me buying a new frame for a while longer :)
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Or just buy a non-boost frame. Not very trendy tho.
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

I'd be giving White Industries themselves a call to find out if they can build you what you want (if they don't make it off-the-shelf).
FLV

Post by FLV »

Look at this old thread! But just what I was looking into this afternoon.

So, singlespeed specific 148x12 Boost hub options... (not just freewheel maybe?)

Paul Boost disc WORD?
Any others?

Freewheel options to go with, 19 or 20t?
White ind?
Any others?

I'd much rather a combo that doesn't cost so much!

Then specific SS hubs? (Not standard boost geared hubs with a rack of spacers)

Anyone know ?
FLV

Post by FLV »

Poked around the internet a little, preference would definitely be a mini cassette hub in the style of the Hope SS/Trails. But

Industry nine or Onyx in the regeon of 425 - 499 USD is a little excessive!
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I settled on a frame with normal spacing, was easier at the time :)

DT do some hubs that work with a bodge- 240s singlespeed - had a chat with Chris Plesko about this over email he's been using it with a lot of success. Also had a chat with a few other SS riders I know... all sticking to "normal" spacing.

Superstar have this:
but I prefer my hubs to not explode randomly.

EDIT: Also, HOLY thread resurection Batman!
FLV

Post by FLV »

Cheers Greg, me too on the superstar front.

So far for my best value option... I think I can*... Convert my existing Hope SS hub twice

*tbc, still checking

1, Swap the 10mm bolt in axle to a 142mm through axle.
2, Use the 148 boost conversion of end caps + disc spacer, I think this pushes the 'cassette' over so I may need a minor re-dish to centralise the rim.

As you stated earlier, I'm not massively keen on bodging with spacers etc but the only thing out of the norm from the usual end cap game is the rotor spacers really. With some loctite and proper torqued fasteners that will likely be a non issue even though a sub-optimal fix :smile:

Unless I can find a more cost effective solution I might give this a go. The whole idea is that my 'second' mtb can be the one that goes out in the Crud for shortish rides and doesn't grind itself to bits in the grinding paste. Splashing hundreds more cash on it would negate that idea.

GregMay wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:44 pm EDIT: Also, HOLY thread resurection Batman!
I know !
I nearly did a new one but though why not leave it all in one search
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

IIRC the Hope bodge can work - if it is one of the new Hope hubs. Though I've not bothered!
FLV

Post by FLV »

Ive ordered an axle and the 148 conversion. I'll have a good measure before i start hitting stuff with the hammer.
I'll report back.