cairngorm loop info please.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

cairngorm loop info please.

Post by ton »

where does the route go? anyone got a map handy.
sure I have done most of it in sections, but think I fancy a steady potter round it all.
whitestone

Re: cairngorm loop info please.

Post by whitestone »

Assuming you mean the ITT route then http://www.cairngormsloop.net/map.html should be enough to work it out. There's not a lot of alternative tracks so for most of the route it should be obvious, the bits you need to take care on would be through Rothiemurchus forest and around to Tomintoul. I'm sure Colin will be along with more accurate info.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Mailed you the route Ton, and map info.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Looks like you're sorted Tony. I'm not sure the ITT double loop qualifies as a pootle :lol:

The outer loop, avoiding Fealar is almost all rideable though.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

ScotRoutes wrote:Looks like you're sorted Tony. I'm not sure the ITT double loop qualifies as a pootle :lol:

The outer loop, avoiding Fealar is almost all rideable though.
Outer loop is frankly excellent! Fealar....yeah, not the best part. Carry on down Glen Tilt if going for fun not a route completion.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

If only doing the outer loop then I'd avoid the very northernmost section of the ITT route. There are two better alternatives; one via the Speyside Way and on via Glenmore/Ryvoan.

There's also a Speyside Way extension that could be used from Tromie/Feshie to avoid the road bit past Inshriach if the Loch Gamhna/Loch an Eilean route doesn't appeal for some reason.

I'll put some sort of map together with my recommendations Tony.
Mart

Post by Mart »

ScotRoutes wrote: There's also a Speyside Way extension that could be used from Tromie/Feshie to avoid the road bit past Inshriach.
That might risk NOT being able to sample the excellent cake at the nursery tearoom :shock:
2924 miles per Gallon
Gari

Post by Gari »

^^good point, well made :grin:
ton

Post by ton »

should have added, not a ITT whatever that is. just a nice gentle tour with no time restraint.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ton wrote:should have added, not a ITT whatever that is. just a nice gentle tour with no time restraint.
There's two Cairngorm loops: there's the one with a group start (the Individual Time Trial) which I linked to which has the inner and outer loops and is roughly 300Km; there's also the earlier Cairngorm Loop which is roughly the same as the outer loop of the ITT. The latter is described in one of the MTB guides to Scotland, I can't remember which, it's given as a four day ride.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

whitestone wrote: There's two Cairngorm loops: there's the one with a group start (the Individual Time Trial) which I linked to which has the inner and outer loops and is roughly 300Km; there's also the earlier Cairngorm Loop which is roughly the same as the outer loop of the ITT. The latter is described in one of the MTB guides to Scotland, I can't remember which, it's given as a four day ride.
I think it's in the Kenny Wilson book. I need to re-read it sometime to see just how many of the routes I've now ridden without knowing they were in "the book".
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

(If you don't know about something, you shouldn't give advice but what the hell) Here's one info on bikepacking.com
http://www.bikepacking.com/routes/cairngorms-loop/

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to say it's not the correct route*

*disclaimer - never done the route but remember the article!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The book I was thinking of is the Vertebrate guide: Scotland - The Wild Trails The original one not the newer vol-2
Chew

Post by Chew »

Tony, I have a copy of the VB Scotish wild trails book you can borrow.
It has the outer loop route in it.
ton

Post by ton »

Matt, please mate. would be ideal.
techno

Post by techno »

Any idea when the first group start is next year?
I'm guessing last weekend in April or first weekend in may?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Given previous years I'd guessed 4th May.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

ScotRoutes wrote:Given previous years I'd guessed 4th May.
It is always the weekend of the first bank holiday in May, and the HT550 is on the second bank holiday weekend.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

AlasdairMc wrote:
ScotRoutes wrote:Given previous years I'd guessed 4th May.
It is always the weekend of the first bank holiday in May, and the HT550 is on the second bank holiday weekend.
There’s been a September start too for the last couple of years
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

"There’s been a September start too for the last couple of years"

Only 4 of us (me , Andy ,Crispin and ian) of us showed up for sept start this year.

Not sure the loop has the same number of people attending since it was dropped as a qualifier to the bigger events.

Still a loop any budding bikepacker or outdoor enthusiast should do as it goes through stunning locations and some great trails.
FLV

Post by FLV »

The outer loop with a couple of friends still stands out as one of my favourite ever trips.

Back in the day of paper maps.

Been round it several times and never disliked it

Touring I'd not bother pushing over the top probably
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Trail-rat wrote:"There’s been a September start too for the last couple of years"

Only 4 of us (me , Andy ,Crispin and ian) of us showed up for sept start this year.

Not sure the loop has the same number of people attending since it was dropped as a qualifier to the bigger events.

Still a loop any budding bikepacker or outdoor enthusiast should do as it goes through stunning locations and some great trails.

I’ve still not ridden all of it yet. But yes a classic must-do ride for sure.

I suspect that it is less popular these days because it was one of the first group start ITTs back when there weren’t that many. These days I’m not sure you could even fit them all in, time and fitness permitting.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Mart wrote:
ScotRoutes wrote: There's also a Speyside Way extension that could be used from Tromie/Feshie to avoid the road bit past Inshriach.
That might risk NOT being able to sample the excellent cake at the nursery tearoom :shock:
The tearoom now only caters for groups I'm afraid. Pity as it was bloody good and located at the bottom 'Cake or die', a particularly fine descent...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Are there still two group starts each year? Seems a bit odd if so.

Without getting off my backside to have a look at the VB book I'd say the best version of the outer loop would be (assuming a Blair Atholl start): follow the route over the Gaick to Feshie Bridge then through Rothiemurchus to Glenmore. Rather than going right just before Ryvoan which would take you round the inner loop, go left/straight ahead and past the bothy to pick up the outer loop. Follow this past Tomintoul and Braemar then at the Geldie Burn head over the watershed to gain the upper Tilt. Don't bother with the Fealar loop just head down Glen Tilt back to Blair Atholl.

The technical sections on the above would be: the traverse of the hillside above Loch an Dun; short bits in Rothiemurchus; crossing the Burn of Brown; the track around Loch Builg; the gorge at the head of Glen Tilt. Everything else is pretty much estate/forestry vehicle tracks. (I'm sure Colin will say I've missed something :lol: )
techno

Post by techno »

Thanks all, plenty of food for thought there.