Tubeless... what do you carry in case of emergency

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mitomaniac

Tubeless... what do you carry in case of emergency

Post by Mitomaniac »

My New bike is tubeless(gorilla tape and stans valves), ive managed to change the tyres myself and think i have grasped how to do it and understand that minor punctures should seal with the sealant in the tyre but say you have a complete flat what would you be carrying trail side to fix it ?

ive got a Tube i can put in just incase i need to and small piece of duct tape to patch any holes in side walls etc... Should i pack a CO2 inflator and a small measure of sealant aswell as this tho ?

All opinions and advice greatly recieved.

PS i have a CO2 inflator as use it on my road bike
whitestone

Re: Tubeless... what do you carry in case of emergency

Post by whitestone »

CO2 isn't the best thing to use with tubeless as it interacts with the sealant. These quotes are from Stans:

"Using CO2 is not recommended as it may set up the sealant. During a race though do what you have too to win. Just make sure the valve is at the top. And give the sealant a second to flow down to the bottom of the tyre so not to be blasting right on the sealant.

It can shorten the life of the sealant in that it can turn the once liquid sealant into one rubber ball. If you must use CO2, you can inflate the tyre without sealant, then deflate the tyre and add your sealant through the valve stem. With most tyre and rim combinations, the beads of the tyre will stay on the benches of the rim making re-inflation much easier.
"

I take a tyre "boot" which is basically a bit of old toothpaste tube to help deal with major sidewall splits. "Anchovies" are used for smaller sidewall splits. Also a single inner tube.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

As above, you want some tubeless repair anchovies - basically little rubbery grommetty things you poke into a hole that is too big for the sealant to fill. A big sidewall cut usually means you'll need the tube and a tyre boot like the Park Tools ones. And a sense of perspective. Never leave home without a sense of perspective.
I'm just going outside ...
Mitomaniac

Post by Mitomaniac »

whitestone wrote:CO2 isn't the best thing to use with tubeless as it interacts with the sealant. These quotes are from Stans:

Co2 would only be a last resort option ill maybe get a bottle with a measure of sealant in it and carry that and a valve core remover so i can administer it...

I have some of them anchovie things ill make a boot when toothpaste is empty heehee

thanks
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

Would second the anchovy route although not had cause to try them yet. My thoughts about not wanting to rely on a spare tube are due to me thinking that the inside of my tyre is likely to be covered with sharp thorns etc which have been sealed by the stans. If I chuck a tube in I could see it instantly being punctured in 100 places. Might be being paranoid but nevermind...
Stumpym4

Post by Stumpym4 »

New to tubeless myself and found out the hard way this week , drove for an hr, rode bike 3 miles, small cut to side wall, sealant couldn't seal it and i couldn't undo the valve nut to insert inner tube :( .... 3 mile walk back to car and hour drive home !!
post man bought me a weldtite tubeless repair kit today, all repaired and still inflated :)
lesson learnt
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

mechanicaldope wrote:Would second the anchovy route although not had cause to try them yet. My thoughts about not wanting to rely on a spare tube are due to me thinking that the inside of my tyre is likely to be covered with sharp thorns etc which have been sealed by the stans. If I chuck a tube in I could see it instantly being punctured in 100 places. Might be being paranoid but nevermind...
Carry a slime tube as a spare, might just be enough for such an occasion
jameso

Post by jameso »

The kit I'd take for a long ride / trip -

Strips of inner tube cut to be used like anchovies
A small bottle (60-120ml) of latex solution - dilute upto 50-50 to make top up sealant or use neat to help plug a stubborn hole
Superglue powerflex - seals holes and small cuts
Tyre boot - bits of sidewall and smaller bits of inner tube to glue over a sidewall cut
Needle and dental floss to sew up a cut if needed
A tube (a slime tube is a good call in some places)
Also some tiny xmas cracker pliers for the valves

Much of that is kit I'd take to fix a tued tyre anyway, just adding the glue and latex mainly to cope with sealing tyre holes. The other thing I do is only use tyre and rim combos that can be seated by hand and a mini pump (the main reason I don't use Schwalbe and most non TR tyres).
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

Try these buggers :) also available in smaller :-bd

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141326193573? ... EBIDX%3AIT
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

With regard to removing the valve cores, my Lezyne multi tool has a valve tool on it, although I've never seen reference to it in the literature. On the chain tool the flat bit with lezyne on it, when removed from the threaded part, the open end which is 'U' shaped is the right size to fit a valve core. It's uppermost on the pic below. I've had the tool for years but only found this by chance recently when looking at the end and thinking that the shape was familiar.

Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

In my pack I keep :

a spare tube,
normal tube repair kit + tyre levers
tubeless repair twiglets,
motorbike patch for sidewall tears
little bottle of sealant.
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

spare tube , tyre levers,

b twinn tubeless repare kit ( have usedd 2 times and worked both !!!!!!) https://www.btwin.com/en/bike-tyres-acc ... r-kit.html

small amount of sealent
danielgroves

Post by danielgroves »

I just keep a spare tube and a couple of patches in my bag. When I've split the sidewall before I've just applied a normal inner tube patch to the inside of the tyre. Often I've had enough success with this to not even need the tube.
Adventures and Photography Blog: danielgroves.net/adventures-photography
Twitter: @danielsgroves
Instagram: @danielsgroves
Photography on Facebook: facebook.com/danielgrovesphotography
Photography on Instagram: @danielgrovesphotography
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Hmm if you can patch it with a normal patch then it's not really a proper split — tyre boots are more for when a split is 2 to 3 inches.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

2 tubes for long trips
Superglue
A bit of inner tube
tubeless gooey strips (AKA dog turds)
tub thread and needles for big rips
Motorcycle patches
Sealant.

I suspect that lot blitzes the weight benefit of tubeless but hey ho.

I've used the gooey strips - motorbike ones cut up - twice recently on a glass cut and a snakebite and they work well.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

jameso wrote: Strips of inner tube cut to be used like anchovies
A small bottle (60-120ml) of latex solution - dilute upto 50-50 to make top up sealant or use neat to help plug a stubborn hole
Superglue powerflex - seals holes and small cuts

The other thing I do is only use tyre and rim combos that can be seated by hand and a mini pump (the main reason I don't use Schwalbe and most non TR tyres).
This saved my bacon last year when my rear Maxxis split at the rim after the water bar pounding descending from Ben Alder. Rubber strip + latex solution into the hole, bit of superglue for good measure, refilled the tyre with a small bottle of Stans, crossed my fingers, inflated, and (much to my surprise) it held out for another 400+ miles without losing any pressure.

I do worry about my new 2.6/2.8 Schwalbe tyres and WTB i35 rims - if they ever have to come off the rim for repair, they are not going back up without a compressor and lots of patience / swearing or a suitable inner tube.

Anybody tried these:
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/schwalbe- ... -2016.html
Look interesting, if extremely difficult to get hold of in the UK.
Mitomaniac

Post by Mitomaniac »

Thanks for all the info I agree schwable tyres are a pain to seat but unfortunately they are my tyres of choice lol hence the co2 trick I'll have to find a better way in the field
MarkW

Post by MarkW »

sean_iow wrote:With regard to removing the valve cores, my Lezyne multi tool has a valve tool on it, although I've never seen reference to it in the literature. On the chain tool the flat bit with lezyne on it, when removed from the threaded part, the open end which is 'U' shaped is the right size to fit a valve core. It's uppermost on the pic below. I've had the tool for years but only found this by chance recently when looking at the end and thinking that the shape was familiar.

Thanks sean. I have this multitool too and didn't know it had a valve tool.
Dovebiker

Post by Dovebiker »

I try and avoid breaking a tubeless tyre bead when out on the trail - fortunately only had to do it once in the last 5 years. I carry with me:
Spare tube
50ml bottle of sealant
Spare tubeless valve & remover
Weldtite tubeless repair kit
Tyre boot - piece of sidewall from dead tyre
Pump
Tyre levers

I don't bother with CO2 and Slime tubes are a waste of time IME.