GPS mapping for France - IGN?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

24tom

GPS mapping for France - IGN?

Post by 24tom »

Morning everyone

Was wondering whether the collective wisdom here knew whether it is possible to get IGN maps (or mapping of a similar kind of detail) on microSD to use with a Garmin device? Ideally not at a huge cost...
ianfitz

Re: GPS mapping for France - IGN?

Post by ianfitz »

I've had success with those Dutch free garmin maps. (Also used in Italy and Tenerife too)

Used in the Alps and Pyrenees. Found some excellent singletrack by following dots off fire roads at the meeting side of the Pyrenees.

Based on OSM maps but been impressed
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I did buy some online proper maps for memerory map on iPhone. They were resonantly priced
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

OSM are easy to get, I've the French maps if you want them. Contoured versions.

IGN maps are availible for Memory Map: https://www.memory-map.co.uk/mm-france-25-standard Deep pockets needed.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

GregMay wrote:OSM are easy to get, I've the French maps if you want them. Contoured versions.

IGN maps are availible for Memory Map: https://www.memory-map.co.uk/mm-france-25-standard Deep pockets needed.
I bought the MM maps by area. You can purchase however many square kms and then just down load the area you need.
Ideal if you are riding a specific route. Or doing day rides from a fixed place.
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

I use the MyTrails App with IGN mapping and the VTTrack overlay to show me off-road trails with their technical level. IGN Mapping is cheap but not free on this app.

MyTrails App
VTTrack Blog post - use Google Translate

Those with a more IT-literate-hacky bent can probably still bootleg IGN maps using some version of MoBAC or another, but frankly I found it less hassle to just cough up and use them with this app.
24tom

Post by 24tom »

Thanks for pointers, folk - and for the offer Greg. May well take you up on that :-)