Is there such a thing?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

Is there such a thing?

Post by JohnClimber »

Is there a battery powered large memory stick type thing that you can transfer photos and movies off an SD card to without the need for a laptop or tablet?

And if not why not?

Cheers
ianfitz

Re: Is there such a thing?

Post by ianfitz »

JohnClimber wrote:Is there a battery powered large memory stick type thing that you can transfer photos and movies off an SD card to without the need for a laptop or tablet?

And if not why not?

Cheers
Transfer them to where John? Would a spare SD card not work for you?
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

ianfitz wrote:
JohnClimber wrote:Is there a battery powered large memory stick type thing that you can transfer photos and movies off an SD card to without the need for a laptop or tablet?

And if not why not?

Cheers
Transfer them to where John? Would a spare SD card not work for you?
This really, that way is lessens the chance of loosing data if it's spread over several cards.

Not what you're asking for though...
Chew

Post by Chew »

Assuming its for video John?

Photos, just take spare SD cards.

If you have specs for your video setup I can put you in contact with someone whos worked in the industry and they may be able to help/suggest something.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

About a decade ago you could get portable hard drives with a built-in battery that would do just what you want: plug in an SD (well compact flash back then) card and it would copy the contents onto the drive. This was all well and good when such cards cost nearly as much as the hard drive itself but these days even reasonably specced flash cards are so cheap that it's far easier just to take a handful of them.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
quimarche

Post by quimarche »

You can still get battery powered backup devices, but they're not cheap. See NEXTODI & HyperDrivere here: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Stan ... 4000227848

Also, see the review & comparisons here: https://havecamerawilltravel.com/photog ... 901-review

The WD MyPassport Wireless seems a reasonable punt for the price: https://havecamerawilltravel.com/photog ... ess-review
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Western Digital do a HD built expressly to do this for backup duties. It's not cheap, but it is portable.

I'd personally do both this and multiple SD cards in a Pelicase if I was worried about losing images.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

As above, £20 for a 64gb microsd, why risk your data by putting all your eggs into one over complex basket?
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I could make such a thing using a £6 Raspberry pi and a few bits. I reckon total cost £20 - £30 and I would use it having lost a days shooting in the Forest of Bowland. Might have a tinker...
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Thanks for your input.

More SD cards is the answer
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

JohnClimber wrote:More SD cards is the answer
I think a USB OTG (On-the-Go) adapter allows you to transfer data from most / many Android phones to an external memory card / stick / hard drive, meaning that you don't have to open up your phone to swap stuff out.