Anyone know anything more about this?

https://www.facebook.com/KinesisUK/vide ... S_TIMELINE

Looks like you get to have a fire on a beach :roll:
Bearbonesnorm

Re: "The Distance"?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Anyone know anything more about this?
No.

It says multi-day event, yet no one in that video is carrying any kit whatsoever ... must have really big pockets or summat :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Gari

Post by Gari »

Popped up on my instagram feed too, they're all at it eh?! :grin:
Multi day (not) racing is clearly the new black.
psling

Post by psling »

A 2 day event referred to as multi-day; I guess that is technically correct :???: Kinesis is a bike manufacturer?

We've kind of already discussed on here the likelihood of more and more of this type of event cropping up as bikepacking becomes more mainstream and 'soft bikepacking' [tm] with provided facilities is the easy-in option where people will pay for the experience. The bubble will burst when the money makers move on to the next big thing. Probably.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

'Soft-packing' ... can we have that? Seems quite apt :wink:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Looks like an entry requirement is to be able to manual over a stream on a fully-loaded* drop-bar bike. They probably won't let me in then.

*for a summer day-ride, apparently
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

thenorthwind wrote:Looks like an entry requirement is to be able to manual over a stream on a fully-loaded* drop-bar bike. They probably won't let me in then.

*for a summer day-ride, apparently
yeah I was thinking that I'd be more likely to barrel roll over the bars than manage a manual there!

Will be interesting to see what it is but I have horrible visions of baggage transfers and organised camps.

Lovely bit of the country, did the Gallop there 2 years back.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Dissapointed, thought this was a Bob Seger thread and I wasn't alone in my dubious music tastes.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

jameso wrote:Dissapointed, thought this was a Bob Seger thread and I wasn't alone in my dubious music tastes.
Nothing dubious about Bob Seger :cool:
Ian

Post by Ian »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:'Soft-packing' ... can we have that? Seems quite apt :wink:
Only if we can have it on a badge:

"Bear Bones: It's not f*cking soft-packing"
jameso

Post by jameso »

PeterC wrote:
jameso wrote:Dissapointed, thought this was a Bob Seger thread and I wasn't alone in my dubious music tastes.
Nothing dubious about Bob Seger :cool:
It may be for the others in the car when I have it on for the whole drive : )
Also disappointed that I mis-spelled disappointed again. :grin:
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

What's the accepted Bones views on the Polaris challenge then, 'cos we were doing overnight, competitive 'backpacking by bike' trips before the internet caught on. Rigid bikes, skinny tyres and some even used drop bars.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

boxelder wrote:What's the accepted Bones views on the Polaris challenge then, 'cos we were doing overnight, competitive 'backpacking by bike' trips before the internet caught on. Rigid bikes, skinny tyres and some even used drop bars.
Surely thats gone soft too. Didn't you used to have to carry over night kit back in the day?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Surely thats gone soft too. Didn't you used to have to carry over night kit back in the day?
I didn't realise that'd changed - have they got porters now?
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

Oh yeah polaris events.
I've done a few of those.
They were fun.
Apart from the tent carrying part.
Was that bikepacking then?
Who knew?
Grubby little urchin.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
I didn't realise that'd changed - have they got porters now?
I think it's from a fixed camp...
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

test: Overlanding
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Kumquat wrote:Oh yeah polaris events.
They were fun.
Who knew?
must have been overlanding
:cool:

I used to call bikepacking bivybiking and enduro freeriding. Gosh, things have changed.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Alpinum wrote:test: Overlanding
Not made it to the swear filter yet ;)

I organised a couple of Polaris's (Polaries?) back in the day, as well as participating in a good many. I remember when we (solo competitors) were allowed to actually use a Bivvy bag instead of a tent. Those were the days :YMDAYDREAM:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I'm just going to carry on doing whatever regardless. They'll all get bored in a few years and it'll be quiet again.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Alpinum wrote:
Kumquat wrote:Oh yeah polaris events.
They were fun.
Who knew?
must have been overlanding
:cool:

I used to call bikepacking bivybiking and enduro freeriding. Gosh, things have changed.
Enduro is all mountain surely?

I do like winding up customers when they tell me they 'ride' enduro*! Surely you 'race' enduros** and ride all mountain/lite free ride/etc etc

*assuming the enduro they refer to is not the marathon style!

**Yes, I'm a dick...!
psling

Post by psling »

boxelder wrote:What's the accepted Bones views on the Polaris challenge then, 'cos we were doing overnight, competitive 'backpacking by bike' trips before the internet caught on. Rigid bikes, skinny tyres and some even used drop bars.
Let's face it, the internet hasn't really been around for very long anyway and stoves in saddle bags were available back in the 1930s. Not sure about the racing aspect back then though...
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

GregMay wrote:I'm just going to carry on doing whatever regardless. They'll all get bored in a few years and it'll be quiet again.
Me and a mate once said that about mountainbiking. That was 25 years ago.....

The Polaris I did in the dales involved carrying a tent and all your kit. The camp site was a saturated field with a 20 degree slope....
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

Do you actually notice more people bikepacking when on your little rides out or is it mainly a rise in internet chatter and sponsored soft-packing type events? When a large part of the appeal can be the isolation I can see how a rise in popularity could be annoying. On the other hand, there wouldn't be such a lot of quality kit easily available if only a handful of people were interested so I guess it must be a bit of a double edged sword.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

mechanicaldope wrote:Do you actually notice more people bikepacking when on your little rides out or is it mainly a rise in internet chatter and sponsored soft-packing type events? When a large part of the appeal can be the isolation I can see how a rise in popularity could be annoying. On the other hand, there wouldn't be such a lot of quality kit easily available if only a handful of people were interested so I guess it must be a bit of a double edged sword.
I guess there is a difference between interest/ aspirational marketing and actually doing it.

Still don't see many people actually out, actually riding bikes with kit on. Even in the busy Peak District.

Although a friend did scathingly tell me he's seen a woman just riding down abbeydale road. With bike packing kit. ON A ROAD BIKE! The outrage.

I enquiried when and what time this was.

Turned out to be Craigie having ridden a wondering route from Oxford then stayed at ours was on her way to Leeds for a talk that evening...