Turin - Nice for the Time Impaired

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

DanLear

Turin - Nice for the Time Impaired

Post by DanLear »

Hi,

3 of us are planning the Turin-Nice rally route (or an approximation of it) at the start of July...however we only have 5 days of riding available to us due to other commitments/life etc.
Given I reckon we have ~100km/day in us over the 5 days what can we realistically hope to achieve? Does anyone have route recommendations/shortcuts/variations to the "official" route (I have the GPX's for it)?

One thing we've spotted is the Cuneo/Nice rail line runs alongside the route for part of the way, so we were considering this as an early finish to get the train back into Nice from one of the stations on this section. Anyone tried this?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Cheers
Dan
Chew

Re: Turin - Nice for the Time Impaired

Post by Chew »

We thought 100k a day sounded reasonable with the amount of road, but it wasn't. Think in terms of the amount of climbing you want to achieve each day and plan on that basis.

I'd be tempted to join the route in Sampeyre
The two most memorable sections for me were the 'road of death' (which was a total surprise) and the section through 'little Peru'
Both these come up after Sampeyre.

The sections we missed after are the ones which will Be a draw to go back in future years.

I'd also say don't be in a rush or have a fixed schedule. Some others had issues hitting shops/restaurants when closed. We had a few hours to chill out before the restaurant opened in Ponte Marmora and made plenty of things 'possible' :wink:
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

You'll do it in 5 days if you start early/finish late, don't faff about too much and the weather is on your side. Looking at the calendar, we started on the 6th and I was in Nice for the afternoon of the 11th. I'm not the worlds fastest rider and I faffed about quite a bit/stopped to eat often, but we had the weather on our side.

You could start in Busseleno instead of Turin and cut out the first col which will save you 1/2 - 3/4 day of riding depending on your pace. Or Briançon, which skips the first 3 cols and a good climb out of Cessana. Might save you 1.5 - 2 days. Or start in Turin and bail to Cuneo to get public transport further south. You have a lot of options.

Greetz

S.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Hi Dan, Chew and Scott's tips make a lot of sense to me. You could have a crack at Finestre-Assietta-Izoard-Agnel-Sampeyre-death road-Peru- trainline goes within maybe 2hr ride of Dronero to Nice, thats a major col a day plus a bit. Or if theres time, get train just past Dronero, off at Limone to ride up Col Tende and one of the Tende options, hop back on same line in Roya valley to get to Nice.

Handy train line .. a few used it last year.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The two most memorable sections for me were the 'road of death'
Just make sure you put your lights on before going into the first tunnel :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

What's the earliest you could realistically attempt the route in the summer?
jameso

Post by jameso »

When the snow melts : ) (sorry). Next daft answer, depends on what bike? I've seen plenty of snow on the Galibier or Bonette in late May to early-mid June in different years, enough to think that a dirt road over 2200-2300m that isn't managed like a main road could be iffy then. The Agnel had a lot of snow for the Giro at end of May .. http://www.thebikecomesfirst.com/colle- ... o-arrives/
.. opened early perhaps, not sure if the Finestre or Assietta would be clear then though. If you get past the Assietta and use the Izoard road route then it should be OK as the rest is probably too far south or close to the plain to the east hold snow then. Apart from the Via del Sale, maybe. I think mid June would be early enough to be interesting but likely to be OK.

And a sensible answer, I know a glider pilot there who probably could say from seeing the whole area and knowing it well. Shall I ask? I'm hoping to be in the area in late June to try to link up some stuff in the southern half, if you're thinking of being out there then.
DanLear

Post by DanLear »

Thanks for all the info so far...one more question - what season bag would you recommend? No idea of the temps up top in End June/ Start July...
Cheers!