I've been dreading this

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dave Barter

I've been dreading this

Post by Dave Barter »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-39125720

I hate the fact that when in many of the US National Parks I can't go for a walk or camp without applying 1000000 years previously for a permit.

It appears to be on its way over here.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
u02sgb

Re: I've been dreading this

Post by u02sgb »

As long as it stays to the areas around Loch Lomond that were being abused I've not got a problem with it. Aware it may be the "thin end of the wedge" though.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I heard that on radio 4 yesterday. Can't really say that I'm surprised ... although I am saddened.

Whether it'll make any difference, I'm not sure. If the problem is caused by dickheads, I wonder whether said dickheads will actually take any notice of restrictions, permits or anything else put in place to safeguard the enviroment and discourage nobbish behaviour?
May the bridges you burn light your way
benp1

Post by benp1 »

There's a wild camping article on the Beeb homepage too, with a pic showing quite a large group of tents all in the same place (which isn't great wildcamping form, nor have I seen that happen much)
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

We had a thread on this last year and fairly sure that I posted this link back then - https://cairngormwanderer.wordpress.com ... of-access/

Edit: Just read this piece on the BBC site - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39129098
Last edited by whitestone on Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I would just like to say that, I'm a little disappointed with this thread. Having seen 'I've been dreading this' posted by Mr Barter ... I was kind of hoping it would be about Dave's vist to the tattooist to get the Bah Bah Bikepack route added to the two big W's that already adorn his arse cheeks.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The Park Rangers have no powers to detain or penalise. Let's see what happens when they ask a responsible camper to move along...

A mass camp-in is already being discussed.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

The rangers will have a nightmare. They can't get the backing of police to deal with issues now. For the police its not normally a priority (odd that) and centralised call centres mean the by in large they have no idea where anything is never mind a random location on a rural loch.

There certainly are issues with parties of campers, anti social behavior and irresponsible camping, but they could be dealt with using current legislation with police support.

Definitely thin end of the wedge , but for most of us who camp late, leave early , leave no sign and are probably away from those areas its not going to be an issue.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I would just like to say that, I'm a little disappointed with this thread. Having seen 'I've been dreading this' posted by Mr Barter ... I was kind of hoping it would be about Dave's vist to the tattooist to get the Bah Bah Bikepack route added to the two big W's that already adorn his arse cheeks.
Tattooist? When I've ridden the Bah Bah Bikepack route you can all take it in turns etching a little bit on with Johnclimber's Lauf forks
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

You leave my forks out of this Mr Barter :cool:
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Is this actually new, I was under the impression that these by laws had been in place a number of years now.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Trialled in a smaller area for some years...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

The byelaw was introduced on the east side of Loch Lomond a few years ago to stop the large number of neds who pitched up most weekends and caused chaos (trans:- the large number of disadvantaged people from glasgow who can't afford to pay the top wack asked by the small number of campsites in the area and who would turn them away in any case but would still like to enjoy Scotlands beautiful countryside) There were definitely a few that were causing said chaos but most just needed a bit of education and guidance.

Be interesting to see where they will move on too as I can't see that they will pay up for the sites that are being proposed as alternatives and I can't see them suddenly deciding to stop doing it. In terms of thin end of the wedge there is no appetite to remove or change access rights but what will happen is byelaws get extended to cover more areas that people are displaced too.

About 12 years ago I attended a conference to discuss the issue and the general feeling was that more education was the solution. The Park management weren't interested and the Police were in favour of byelaws as it would be easier for them to enforce rather than trying to issue ASBOs so the byelaw got pushed through.

It will have zero effect on the likes of us bikepackers as we generally look to bivvi away from roads.....
Roobell7

Post by Roobell7 »

In today's Guardian by Phoebe Smith

Loch Lomond’s wild camping ban is a backwards and short-sighted step

[url]
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017 ... pboard/url]

Andy
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

On the money however private landowners can't introduce byelaws, only 'Access Authorities' ie Councils and National Park Authorities. So a landowner would have to persuade a council to introduce a byelaw. We'll see as the back road on the approach to Braemar from the Cairnwell would likely be the first place this may happen.
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

htrider wrote:On the money however private landowners can't introduce byelaws, only 'Access Authorities' ie Councils and National Park Authorities. So a landowner would have to persuade a council to introduce a byelaw. We'll see as the back road on the approach to Braemar from the Cairnwell would likely be the first place this may happen.
Which would be annoying as its useful to car camp there when ski touring
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

htrider wrote:On the money however private landowners can't introduce byelaws, only 'Access Authorities' ie Councils and National Park Authorities. So a landowner would have to persuade a council to introduce a byelaw. We'll see as the back road on the approach to Braemar from the Cairnwell would likely be the first place this may happen.
I've stopped there as well having driven up in the evening and before heading up to Loch Muick and Creag an Dubh Loch. Didn't realise it was popular .
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

ScotRoutes wrote: A mass camp-in is already being discussed.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

In today's Guardian by Phoebe Smith

Loch Lomond’s wild camping ban is a backwards and short-sighted step

[url]
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017 ... pboard/url]
Given what she's written in the past, I suppose her stand really isn't surprising. I wonder whether she considers herself to blame in some small way? Her books always struck me as coming from the, 'Wow this is great, c'mon everybody' camp and didn't seem to contain too much of the educational approach to the outdoors that she mentions in that ^ article.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Single Speed George wrote:Which would be annoying as its useful to car camp there when ski touring
The Scottish outdoor access code asks that you do not camp near roads in order to "avoid causing problems to locals and land managers".

http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/P ... ic/camping
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

Ray Young wrote:
Single Speed George wrote:Which would be annoying as its useful to car camp there when ski touring
The Scottish outdoor access code asks that you do not camp near roads in order to "avoid causing problems to locals and land managers".

Normally get there after dark , don't leave my there tent during the day ,so not shire how it effects the locals or land owners tbh ray ... and there isn't much other camping options in the winter if ur using glenshe as a ski touring kick off point ... And anyway we all on here wild camp and bivi in England and Wales where its not allowed anyway so ye ....
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Single Speed George wrote:
Ray Young wrote:

Normally get there after dark , don't leave my there tent during the day ,so not shire how it effects the locals or land owners tbh ray ... and there isn't much other camping options in the winter if ur using glenshe as a ski touring kick off point ... And anyway we all on here wild camp and bivi in England and Wales where its not allowed anyway so ye ....
Camped there and many other roadside places off the motorbike, either on my own or in a group. Plenty of beer drunk but we still left no trace. My consicence is clear as there are so few official campsites in Scotland (At Braemar there is a Caravan club site that no longer takes tents) and we always stayed well away from habitation...
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

htrider wrote: Braemar ..
Some 'sneaky' car camping I did there:
https://flic.kr/p/MJ5ViE

Left no trace, didn't disturb anyone, conscience clear :-)