New 26er Frame?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Blair512

New 26er Frame?

Post by Blair512 »

So I went to put a bottle cage on my rockhopper the other day and the bolt is just spinning inside the frame. I figure this is a good excuse to treat myself to a new frame however a quick google search only seems to bring up the on one inbred. Any suggestions on who still produces 26er hard tail frames? Needs to have a threaded bb and straight steerer as I just want to swap everything over from the spesh
AlasdairMc

Re: New 26er Frame?

Post by AlasdairMc »

You'll be able to find new old stock if you shop around. However, straight steerer isn't a problem as you can get an adaptor headset for 44mm head tube (I had one on an El Mariachi).

The bottle cage bolt went on my Rockhopper too, and that's the only bike that has happened to me with.
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

I have a large selection of 26'er frames, 18"/19".
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

AlasdairMc wrote:You'll be able to find new old stock if you shop around. However, straight steerer isn't a problem as you can get an adaptor headset for 44mm head tube (I had one on an El Mariachi).

The bottle cage bolt went on my Rockhopper too, and that's the only bike that has happened to me with.
That should make the search a little easier, I never knew you got an adaptor headset, cheers.

Gutted the bolts gone because its a great frame and lasted a good 6 years but I drink a lot and need the 2 cages
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

AlasdairMc wrote:You'll be able to find new old stock if you shop around. However, straight steerer isn't a problem as you can get an adaptor headset for 44mm head tube (I had one on an El Mariachi).

I'm not sure that many 26ers were 44mm. I've got a giant anthem hanging in the shed with one but thought it was rare in that regard.

I think COtic may have made some 26ers recently..
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

RobMac wrote:I have a large selection of 26'er frames, 18"/19".
Are they for sale Rob? I think the rockhopper is a large, how does that compare to 18/19"?
slarge

Post by slarge »

Trawl ebay for Stumpjumper frames. Similar geometry, lighter, and fun.

My 14 year old Stumpy hardtail is one of the most fun bikes I've ridden. Now my singlespeed but was once my £150 race bike. Still going strong
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

slarge wrote:Trawl ebay for Stumpjumper frames. Similar geometry, lighter, and fun.

My 14 year old Stumpy hardtail is one of the most fun bikes I've ridden. Now my singlespeed but was once my £150 race bike. Still going strong
I have one on long term loan to a friend. An s-works from the last year they made them in alloy. Ned Overend red, it sounds like a coke can when you flick the tubes!

One day it'll be a wall hanger..,
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

Blair512 wrote:
Are they for sale Rob? I think the rockhopper is a large, how does that compare to 18/19"?
Think thats a 19, is it rim or disc brake frame your after?
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Re the bottle cage bolt: what you need is a rivnut. It basically a pop rivet with a threaded insert, the insert tool looks like a pop rivet gun. You'll pick one up on Ebay with a pile of rivnuts for around a tenner. If you're near Bishops Stortford you've welcome to come round and I'll fix it for free.

Also, I've got a 19" Stumpjumper frame not doing a lot. I was going to put it back together and Ebay it.
Scud

Post by Scud »

Worth a look at Cotic Soul and Stanton Slackline, both great frames and loads of Cotic on ebay?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

The likes of Shand should be able to sort out your wayward bottle cage boss.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Pirahna wrote:Re the bottle cage bolt: what you need is a rivnut. It basically a pop rivet with a threaded insert, the insert tool looks like a pop rivet gun. You'll pick one up on Ebay with a pile of rivnuts for around a tenner. If you're near Bishops Stortford you've welcome to come round and I'll fix it for free.

Also, I've got a 19" Stumpjumper frame not doing a lot. I was going to put it back together and Ebay it.
I like the sound of this, I take it I'd have to drill the old one out? And then do I end up with a bit floating around inside the frame?
RobMac wrote:
Blair512 wrote:
Think thats a 19, is it rim or disc brake frame your after?
It's a disk brake Rob
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Blair512 wrote: I like the sound of this, I take it I'd have to drill the old one out? And then do I end up with a bit floating around inside the frame?
There might be a bit of swarf left inside the frame, I've done a couple and haven't noticed any rattling.

If the boss is turning inside the frame you'll need to hold it with pliers while you drill. Start off with a small drill and work up, you don't want the hole in the frame any bigger than it needs to be.
mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

I never knew you got an adaptor headset, cheers.
Hope do a crown race adaptor that works with their normal tapered headset- not sure if that's what was meant but it means i can swap back and forth easily between a tapered steerer suss fork and straight rigid.
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

mat_swan wrote:
I never knew you got an adaptor headset, cheers.
Hope do a crown race adaptor that works with their normal tapered headset- not sure if that's what was meant but it means i can swap back and forth easily between a tapered steerer suss fork and straight rigid.
Yes, that's 'if' your frame already has a tapered head tube.