Best padded short for ITTs

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mbnut

Best padded short for ITTs

Post by Mbnut »

I have a variety of cheap to mid priced padded shorts, mostly Endura, which have served me well enough for normal rides of up to 5 hours.

I am looking at doing some longer distance stuff and was wondering if there are any stand out options that stay comfortable and bacteria free over the course of a couple of days.

Thanks in advance.... from the heart of my bottom!
Borderer

Re: Best padded short for ITTs

Post by Borderer »

For all day in the saddle I won't wear anything other than Endura's FS260 range. Really thick comfortable pad that makes all the difference. With lesser shorts I get saddle sore after half a day, but these I really can ride all day in.

https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/endura ... horts.html
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

R@pH4 are well worth trying, only padded short I'll use.

Also, buy a saddle that properly fits you and you may not need padding (just done 140km in two days on Brookes Cambrian without padding and was ok - few more rides and it soon harden up :shock: )
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

So personal really. My go to shorts are Assos then DHB so that's most expensive then cheapest :roll: The worst are the Endura "Click-in" liners.

As Simon says: a good saddle (for you) will sort out a lot of problems as will having the saddle at the right height, fore-aft position and angle.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
zofo

Post by zofo »

I treated myself to the Pactimo Summit Raptor bib shorts in one of their sales last year and find them the best shorts I've ever worn.

https://www.pactimo.co.uk/collections/m ... essentials
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I realise I'm not actually answering the question but I still believe that given a little time to become accustomed, this is the answer:

May the bridges you burn light your way
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

While I agree that you need to become accustomed to longer rides for pressure sores, keeping your bits and bobs dry does help with chaffing. I too prefer the Endura pads with the gel inserts. I was plagued by sores for a while and don't have the same issues now. Creams help as well for chaffing.

I recently got a single speed bike. I have way less issues as I climb out of the saddle and generally spend more time standing on the pedals.

Chris
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Deffo Assos (S5) for me. Had a few sets of Endura over the years & have got 3 sets of Gore, but the thinner Assos pad is, for me, easily better than the others..
I've looked at the Crikey, how much ones as i'd heard good things, but they seem too similar to the Gore ones for me to part with my hard earned.. Not looked at the 2017 stuff though, as it's supposedly been 'updated'..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

DHB aerons are really good. I also have assos and pearl izumi but the DHB's equal both for comfort and are much cheaper.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I really rate RedWhite bibs. The pad is top notch and they manage moisture very well too.

Full disclosure - I am now supported by them, but I bought a pair at rrp first long before that and was only prepared to enter into the sponsorship deal as I'd wear them anyway!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

All my longer rides last year were done with Endura MTR bibtights.

When choosing for yourself be aware that some companies vary pad shape according to whether you're likely to be riding a road bike or MTB
Chew

Post by Chew »

I'd also have a look at the spacing straps.
Gore ones where causing nipple chaffage :shock:
Castelli ones have been fine
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

Lusso, cheap chearfull and i find them softer on the whole ;) Lol
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Gore ones where causing nipple chaffage
These one's Chew?

May the bridges you burn light your way
Chew

Post by Chew »

You know me, it's all about the glamour :wink:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Lawmanmx wrote:Lusso, cheap chearfull and i find them softer on the whole ;) Lol
Ah, I see what you did there. Silent W? :wink:
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

everyone should have a w in front of their hole .... in my ideal world of course ;)
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Ràpha Brevets, super comfy, designed to quick dry and free repairs if you fall off. Not cheap but I've decided I'd rather have a few good things than loads of bargains from Lidl, etc that aren't up to much.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Endura bibshorts for me. Got a few pairs and even the 5 year old ones are still good.

A clean undercarriage is essential in my experience to avoid boils / spots on multi dayers, this is where cream can help.
Also waterproof overshorts if it's wet as sand/grit in a wet pad can get very uncomfortable.. :oops:
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

I've started using Rivelo.
Often discounted on sportpursuit. Very comfy, on long multiday rides. And a Uk brand as well
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

slarge wrote:Endura bibshorts for me. Got a few pairs and even the 5 year old ones are still good.

A clean undercarriage is essential in my experience to avoid boils / spots on multi dayers, this is where cream can help.
Also waterproof overshorts if it's wet as sand/grit in a wet pad can get very uncomfortable.. :oops:
Mudguards for me rather than waterproof over shorts. They weigh similar but stop the grinding paste at source :-bd
slarge

Post by slarge »

ianfitz wrote:
Mudguards for me rather than waterproof over shorts. They weigh similar but stop the grinding paste at source :-bd
Yes, I'm thinking about that strategy now, as waterproof shorts can get hot....
cycleofaddiction

Post by cycleofaddiction »

+1 for "the bibs" from red&white and unfortunately I'm not sponsored, bought them when they were pretty new to the market just over 12 months ago for £90 and a bit of bargain at that price, but not so much at the £125 they are now. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them though or buy another pair especially when the thermal bibs come out! Prefer an ass saver to a full rear mudguard, easier to remove and you can stick one in your jersey pocket!
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

I do find Assoss work best for me, and they also last well and do free repairs; that said I'd never pay full RRP. I almost always use 3/4 length for bikepacking (can't be bothered faffing with knee warmers) unless it's guaranteed hot for the entire trip - TNR was the only time that's happened. Keeping your ass dry makes a massive difference when it's wet, and at less than 200g for my cut-of Army surplus waterproof shorts, that's not much of a weight penalty.
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

I swear by my Btwin Aerofit bibs, worn extensively over long...ahem...road rides.

Minimal padding (find too much holds sweat and numbness) but excellent fit, more to hold everything in place than provide cushion.
Fabric choice is something im happy with and have no qualms about taking these around the country, and for the £22 theyre a quarter the price of my other bibs and i much prefer them

Hate to sound cliche but the best shorts are the ones that fit you, everyones different and shape/cut is far more important than mearly padding or cushion.

For offroad trips id rather just wear baggies without a liner now, im used to the saddle and over rough terrain a chamois is a bit useless.