Sleeping systems for the dog?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dodgypenguin

Sleeping systems for the dog?

Post by Dodgypenguin »

Didn't think my Sprocker really felt the cold, as she spends most time outdoors getting as wet as possible. Had managed for most of the year with cutoff foam sleeping mat and microfleece coat for overnight. We did an overnighter at the tail end of November last year at Loch Eanaich where the temp dropped a couple of degrees under zero. Dog sleeping system fail. Dog sad. Down jacket donated to dog. Smelly jacket in morning. Anyone got a better 4 season solution for the subzero hound in a tent? Some very expensive dog bags online. Any good?

http://www.ruffwear.co.uk/dog-gear/dog- ... eeping-bag ??

Any suggestions welcome (other than replace the dog with a husky).

ImageIMG_4047 by Dodgypenguin, on Flickr
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Sleeping systems for the dog?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I saw something in the iron-mongers in Montgomery the other week - sort of like a big fleece dog coat but it covers the entire dog (minus head), so like a sleeping bag. Looked very toasty and remarked at the time how good it would be for dog camping. I can't recall the name but I think the idea was that you pop wet, dirty dog inside to stop you getting your car dirty, so maybe a search on-line? I recall they were about £20.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dr Nick

Post by Dr Nick »

Known as a dog onesie! :roll:

Will check brand when I get home. Does dry wet dog very well. Would be good overnight as Stu suggests...
Not so much a gravel grinder.... more a gravel (mud and tarmac) groveller...
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I've always got away with fleece blanket and a reflectex mat, even in genuinely Baltic conditions (frozen lake, frozen bottles etc)

Bigger dog though, labs
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

There's number of options. A coat, plenty available through eBay. Different materials, I've got a fleece (think human fleece top not sheep) that slips on, covers the front legs and hips. Packs small and is like light. They do several variations on it from full legs to none. I occasionally make them for the dogs as well out of towelling or an old dressing gown with wadding in the middle for extra warmth.
Or a bag, based on the old postman sack, restricts movement (not a bad thing) keeps all the dirt and wet in, they come out clean, dry and warm. Again packs down small
Dodgypenguin

Post by Dodgypenguin »

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Something like this?
Yep, that kind of thing :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

i have a brown Lab and he is a bit of a wendy.
He likes to be out of the wind and well insulated from the ground.
Main problem is, he makes a bee line for any kind of water to cool down.
This leads to being too cold.
I have had most success with one of those waterproof backed picnic blankets and a piece of cut down ccf mat.
On the rare occasion I do any kind of an overnighter with the dog I usually make a small fire.
For some reason he attracts a lot of attention from foxes.
I guess he is just special.
Grubby little urchin.
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

When my dog was young enough to come along with me, I carried a vet bed for her to lie on. A synthetic sheepskin, pretty much.

I've got one of those bags, and it's great for taking a filthy dog in a clean car but I'm not sure she'd sleep in it!

Whenever she got cold, I'd just make sure she is fairly clean and put some of my sleeping bag over her..... This is in a tiny tent with a synthetic bag though, probably better with a fleece blanket for the dog if you don't want a smelly down bag or no insulation for yourself!
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/ ... g-bag.html

May be an odd suggestion - but these baby sleeping bags from vango spring to mind, a decent quality warm down bag but only half sized.

They pack down quite well too - i've only.ever put babies in mine, but i imagine it would keep a dog toasty too