SRT Operational Member Training.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mythste

Re: SRT Operational Member Training.

Post by Mythste »

In absolute awe at some of your stories Greg. Thanks for the update! I was up at Stoodley Pike on the bike yesterday and Heard rumours of rescue being up there due to a twisted ankle or other some such, relatively minor, thing.

As a resident of Littleborough and someone who often ventures (sensibly...) into your hills, thankyou.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Mythste wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:16 pm In absolute awe at some of your stories Greg. Thanks for the update! I was up at Stoodley Pike on the bike yesterday and Heard rumours of rescue being up there due to a twisted ankle or other some such, relatively minor, thing.

As a resident of Littleborough and someone who often ventures (sensibly...) into your hills, thankyou.
Yes, we were out just adjacent to Penny Steps.

Don't worry about being too sensible. Just sensible within reason.
Mythste

Post by Mythste »

GregMay wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:46 pm
Mythste wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:16 pm In absolute awe at some of your stories Greg. Thanks for the update! I was up at Stoodley Pike on the bike yesterday and Heard rumours of rescue being up there due to a twisted ankle or other some such, relatively minor, thing.

Yes, we were out just adjacent to Penny Steps.

Don't worry about being too sensible. Just sensible within reason.
I mean, there's only so sensible one can be on a fully rigid 29er bombing around up there, but alas.

I might even have passed you actually, thinking about it, was the silver 4x4 parked at the top of the muddy farm track on London Road yours?
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Thanks for the update Greg, sounds ace. If I lived in the right sort of area I'd love to be involved like this. Must be tough balancing work and family though

Out of interest, do you, or maybe better structured as 'does one', ever get frustrated at getting a team call out, and all the associated bits that go with that, only to be helping some selfish fool who should have known better? I suppose the same could be applied to folks in A&E dealing with drunks (or insert other)
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Mythste wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:32 pm I might even have passed you actually, thinking about it, was the silver 4x4 parked at the top of the muddy farm track on London Road yours?
Nope, I was in the big vehicle marked Mountain Rescue! Calder Mobile 1 - CM1 Image
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

benp1 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:55 pm Out of interest, do you, or maybe better structured as 'does one', ever get frustrated at getting a team call out, and all the associated bits that go with that, only to be helping some selfish fool who should have known better? I suppose the same could be applied to folks in A&E dealing with drunks (or insert other)
Not at the callout no, I'll go if I can. I sometimes get frustrated post callout at avoidable incidents. But what's avoidable for one of us is less so for others. Saying that, 4 times at the same rope swing in the past year... yeah, I get frustrated when we get a callout to that wood as the carry out is brutal.

Must say, when the weather is properly minging, I really like callouts. Somewhat masochistic, but I truly love coming off the hill wasted knowing that we did a good job.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Thanks Greg, very interesting. And very commendable attitude!
shutupthepunx

Post by shutupthepunx »

hadn't seen this before, just read the lot. very interesting stuff, well done!

thought about applying for it when i lived in hebden but i always knew it was going to be a tempory living situation for me (2years) so didnt think it was fair to get trained up and the do one.