Turin - Nice Video

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dave Barter

Turin - Nice Video

Post by Dave Barter »

For anyone thinking of doing it this year, this video was posted yesterday featuring myself and Chicken Legs briefly in the opening sequence.

https://vimeo.com/202758190
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Mike

Re: Turin - Nice Video

Post by Mike »

Enjoyed that film and kinda makes me wanna do it over a longer stint. Let's see what this yr brings to the table :cool:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I was beginning to think there wouldn't be any marmot footage, luckily it all came good.

Where did he get that deckchair from, I didn't have a deckchair, nor did I ever see one - did he carry it?
May the bridges you burn light your way
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Thanks Dave, enjoyed that.
@ Mike. I've put myself down for it this year and I too have been wondering about what approach to take. I think for me with the climbing involved 7 days would be a (hopefully) achievable target. Then again I once spent 5 days high camping in the mountains near Prali Gigo and I would love to do something similar again and just enjoy the whole high mountain experience. Nothing like the high camping when all the walkers and bikers have descended to the valley, so now thinking 10 days might be even better.
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

Is it a good event? The scenery looks amazing. The climbs look tough / long but mostly doable.
I would have to do it pretty slowly (and not this year) but it looks less balls out than some of them.
A lot of these events seem very much aimed at the elite riders & to push them really hard.
I'm not exactly an elite rider, tbh only just above a sub standard rider. But I think I'd enjoy taking my time and doing something like this.

Of course I could just steal the route and do it on my own. :)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

James has created a great route but it's certainly not a race and I hope it never becomes one. :-bd

What the film probably doesn't portray fully, is the climbing. You'll measure climbs in hours and thousands of metres and generally, when you're not going up you'll be going down, knowing that another big climb awaits. In all seriousness, I would say to anyone considering it - if you don't like climbing or aren't willing to suffer it, don't go. Ask yourself, are you willing to climb the height of Snowdon 5 or 6 times in a day?

I also wouldn't want to string it out for too long either. At most, 7 days should be enough for most people to complete it - you can only chase marmots around the mountains for so long and after a bit, you'll become slightly dulled to the views :wink:
godivatrailrider

Bearbonesnorm wrote:James has created a great route but it's certainly not a race and I hope it never becomes one. :-bd

What the film probably doesn't portray fully, is the climbing. You'll measure climbs in hours and thousands of metres and generally, when you're not going up you'll be going down, knowing that another big climb awaits. In all seriousness, I would say to anyone considering it - if you don't like climbing or aren't willing to suffer it, don't go. Ask yourself, are you willing to climb the height of Snowdon 5 or 6 times in a day?

I also wouldn't want to string it out for too long either. At most, 7 days should be enough for most people to complete it - you can only chase marmots around the mountains for so long and after a bit, you'll become slightly dulled to the views :wink:
The climbs look hefty in the graph, bu the video looks ridable.
Thanks for the advice. Will look elsewhere :)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The climbs look hefty in the graph, bu the video looks ridable.
They are rideable - in the main. They're just long and pretty unrelenting, there's no easy days, only easier. :wink:
jameso

Post by jameso »

Joachim may be regulated for unsupported use of deckchair support, it has been noted .. :grin:
godivatrailrider wrote:Is it a good event? The scenery looks amazing. The climbs look tough / long but mostly doable.
I would have to do it pretty slowly (and not this year) but it looks less balls out than some of them.
A lot of these events seem very much aimed at the elite riders & to push them really hard.
I'm not exactly an elite rider, tbh only just above a sub standard rider. But I think I'd enjoy taking my time and doing something like this.

Of course I could just steal the route and do it on my own. :)
You can't steal what's free anyway : ) happy to mail you some files if you'd like to use it as a basis for a trip idea, or just sign up to the mail-outs from the TNR site.

I'd agree with Stuart re the climbing. It's a free + open event but I'm fairly comfortable that it'll not get too swamped by high rider numbers as it's really not easy to complete and there's no incentive that attracts anyone for whom making a mark on a 'longest/hardest/biggest' etc event appeals. For every epic instagram post there's a 2 hour climb to get to that view and I expect the reputation of the climbing will temper some initial enthusiasm. Depends on how you judge a route or how you feel about hills I guess. If there were more rolling contouring roads the ride would use them but there's not many in that area. TLS is a good tip ..

Having got the climbing warning out of the way I really think it's worth the effort. Since it's not a race of any sort* there's nothing wrong with checking the map to skirt round a few of the cols, pick and choose - the valley roads often aren't as nice but they're fairly flat. There will be a couple more easier alternates hinted at for yr 2 just to help keep options open but anyone who can hold a map the right way up will find options to suit if needed.

*no rider entry lists, no times or results posted anywhere and no official route anyway due to the options presented. If you want to ITT it though feel free, a few did last year and I'd be lying if I said I had no interest in seeing what it'd be like to ride it in that style at some point.
jameso

Post by jameso »

(can you spot the use of a word that I thought the filter would pick up?)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

(can you spot the use of a word that I thought the filter would pick up?)
My guess is 'epic'.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

For every epic instagram post there's a 2 hour climb to get to that view and I expect the reputation of the climbing will temper some initial enthusiasm.
And longer in some instances. It felt like it took 2 days to get to the top :wink:

If you want to ITT it though feel free, a few did last year and I'd be lying if I said I had no interest in seeing what it'd be like to ride it in that style at some point.
Because, let's not forget -

godivatrailrider

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
What a photo :-bd looks tough but churnable, can't be as hard as that road climb back to Staylittle ;)

I'd love to go there ... assuming there is a bar at the top ;)
gairym

Post by gairym »

It's great to see just how much attention this video is receiving on the Facebook (and elsewhere) today - such a great route and event, it deserves the recognition.

But it is/was a nasty little bugger in terms of climbing!

Nothing technically unrideable and perfectly achievable if you're not overweight and undertrained (and mentally prepared for some tough hours in the saddle) like me and the views more than made up for the suffering.

Watching this video made me realise how annoyed I'll be not to be there in September!
24tom

Post by 24tom »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I was beginning to think there wouldn't be any marmot footage, luckily it all came good.

Where did he get that deckchair from, I didn't have a deckchair, nor did I ever see one - did he carry it?
I've forgotten exactly where the deckchair was, but I seem to remember it being at the top of modest gravel climb. Do believe Mr Woodruff and I stopped there for a spot of lunch. It required some repair work with a stick to make it functional. Good to see that it was still in good repair for Joachim... presumably later the same day. He had a habit of catching us up :-)

Brief shot of me nearly crashing Greg May's bike. Was a bit weary at the top Col D'Izoard. That combined with loaded bike made for a wobbly hands free moment ;-)
24tom

Post by 24tom »

In fact, here's a photo of Jon, enjoying a spot of shade. https://www.dropbox.com/s/d301bri49uz2r ... 9.jpg?dl=0

My phone tells me it was taken at Vernante Piedmont
godivatrailrider

gairym wrote:perfectly achievable if you're not overweight and undertrained (and mentally prepared for some tough hours in the saddle)
Ahhhh 0/3 ain't good :)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

See what you mean about the stick Tom :wink:

jameso

Post by jameso »

Brilliant, I thought it was the director's chair from the 2 film-maker's car ..
Ian

Post by Ian »

Liked that.
Was hugely disappointed not to do it last year. Hopefully nothing will conspire against me for this year :YMPRAY:
jamesatthelodge

Post by jamesatthelodge »

Im signed up . it will be my first long distance bike packing adventure. Im thinking 7 days to really enjoy the experience.
godivatrailrider

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Which climb is this?
Chew

Post by Chew »

jamesatthelodge wrote:Im thinking 7 days to really enjoy the experience
Thats what we thought before we went, but i'd say for anyone 'average' 10 days would be best.
Dont think in terms of the distance you think you can ride each day, but the amount of climbing you can do each day (back to back).

Highly recommended route and will be back again at some point :-bd

24tom

Post by 24tom »

godivatrailrider wrote:
Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Which climb is this?
It looks like Colle delle Finestre to me
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

24tom wrote: Brief shot of me nearly crashing Greg May's bike. Was a bit weary at the top Col D'Izoard. That combined with loaded bike made for a wobbly hands free moment ;-)
Explains why it came home crying and missing it's owner who has totally never crashed it ever... nope...not ever. :???: