Veloviewer map - explorer tiles

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Re: Veloviewer map - explorer tiles

Post by Richard G »

Dyffers wrote:Road riding, offroading riding, what's the difference?
In my experience, about 10mph.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it. I just said I'd be more impressed if it was offroad.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Richard G wrote:
Dyffers wrote:Road riding, offroading riding, what's the difference?
In my experience, about 10mph.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it. I just said I'd be more impressed if it was offroad.
Get over this idea that roadies are somehow a lower class of cyclists.

I live in the south of England, where they've tarmaced a lot of rights of way so trying to ride offroad only all the time would be some perverse hairshirt effort, and not necessary.

I've ridden roads on the MTB to get to an offroad explorer tile I needed. I've ridden offroad on 23mm road tyres when there was a tile nearby to a road ride I was on. It's all good.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

So, has anyone recently updated VeloViewer and checked their Max Square?

:lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ScotRoutes wrote:So, has anyone recently updated VeloViewer and checked their Max Square?

:lol:
Interesting. I think that previously if you were close to the edge of a square (something like 50m) then the VV algorithm assumed you'd visited it. Looks like the margin of error as it were has been reduced.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
benp1

Post by benp1 »

ARGH! I'm down to 11x11 now...!

There's a tile in the middle of my potential max square that I have nearly hit from 2 different sides, almost on the border, but haven't properly been through

Will have to rectify that! (Actually I'm heading near it tomorrow so I'll detour if I remember)
chris n

Post by chris n »

Ha, mine's gone from 18x18 to 11x11. :grin: At least it'll be easier to get my score up again.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yeah - I'm back down to 8x8. Getting back to 11 should be easy - three squares to visit.
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

Oh feckin arse. Updated yesterday - 3 at 18x18! Updated today and now I have 5 at 13 x 13. Bunch of arse. Got some work to do again.
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Dyffers wrote:Get over this idea that roadies are somehow a lower class of cyclists.
Where the hell did I say that? Might not want to put words in someone else's mouth.

I've done both, and the explorer tiles I got when on the road bike were much easier attained. That simple. Any more you want to read into it is entirely up to you.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Interestingly, I've lost a square that I actually went through. I think there might be some bugs needing to be ironed out.

Chew

Post by Chew »

Down to 14x14, loosing 2 squares which are easy to pick up, which to be fair I probably havent visited.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Richard G wrote:I think there might be some bugs needing to be ironed out.
Thats Strava. On longer rides it limits/condenses the gps points, so may only register 1 in every 3/4/5
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

They're the same rides that you see there in the two screenshots. The underlying data is fine.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Richard G wrote:They're the same rides that you see there in the two screenshots. The underlying data is fine.
There's something on the VV Facebook page tat might be relevant..

After visiting the Activity's Details page the map tiles for that Activity are populated using all of the data points available. This means you will no longer get gaps as long as there are data points being recorded.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Not sure what happened to my post earlier. Anyway I have gone from 33x33 to 14x14 so probably makes me the biggest loser.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

ScotRoutes wrote: There's something on the VV Facebook page tat might be relevant.
I can confirm that's correct.

So if anyone is missing tiles they think they shouldn't be, they can just load the activity associated.
mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

Wow, lost one I really have expected- right in the middle of loads of others!

Very happy that reloading a ride got me back one square in particular though- it's right in the middle of an awkward bit of land, all the roads and bridleways go round it except for one which just skirts the corner. I checked before I planned the route through there!
Pete-G

Post by Pete-G »

16x16 down to 9x9 . thats going to make for a few detours to regain some of those. Slightly frustrating but means I have to work a bit harder at it. Should be able to pick one square back up with an extra loop on the commute tomorrow morning which will make a useful increase.
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

Hmm. Without doing anything at all I appear to have regained a square, and gone back up to 5 at 14x14 from 13x13 yesterday. Odd. It's a square where the VV line clips a corner, but the route followed is right on the corner where the grids cross. I'll have a trot across there to make sure I don't lose it again, but it'll be a walk as there's no roads or bridleways in there.
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Blackhound wrote:Not sure what happened to my post earlier. Anyway I have gone from 33x33 to 14x14 so probably makes me the biggest loser.
Wow, that's a blow. Are there many tiles to recapture to get back up there?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Pickers wrote:Hmm. Without doing anything at all I appear to have regained a square, and gone back up to 5 at 14x14 from 13x13 yesterday. Odd. It's a square where the VV line clips a corner, but the route followed is right on the corner where the grids cross. I'll have a trot across there to make sure I don't lose it again, but it'll be a walk as there's no roads or bridleways in there.
Likewise. I'd dropped from 12x12 to several 7x7. Just looked now and I'm back up to 9x9 but haven't ridden my bike in the interim. :|
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I'm back to 13x13 from 11x11, picked up the straggler in the middle yesterday. Although I appear to have 3 13x13 squares showing up, which I guess is possible on the way to a 14x14

He's been doing a few updates - http://blog.veloviewer.com/whats-new/

Went to check out my max square and there's a new button on the activities tab, to the right of the Explorer tick box

Appears to zoom you to your max square, although it shows up not quite right for me.. i.e. zoom to middle of them, rather than view the overall max square
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

There's this post http://blog.veloviewer.com/explorer-til ... n-updates/ about the update to the Explorer algorithm. As I suspected earlier, he's removed the circle of uncertainty so that squares "almost visited" that were previously marked as visited to allow for errors are now marked as being unvisited.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Went for a recapture ride today :wink: Thought I'd got three rogue squares but I must have turned back about 10 metres too early for one - it only leads to a farm, technically a private track. The other two involved a bit of the A65 :shock: but it wasn't too busy.

Now back up to 11x11 having dropped from 12x12 to 9x9.

I'm going to have to head out for a walk one evening - there's a moor with open access (on foot) that will get me another 8 squares.
Pete-G

Post by Pete-G »

Just added the Veloviewer extension for chrome, works brilliant for plotting new routes to tick off a few of the more troublesome squares.