Veloviewer map - explorer tiles

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Re: Veloviewer map - explorer tiles

Post by whitestone »

Here's my max square (19x19) and max cluster ...

Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Yup. Am on the Strava BB club.. Coolest club in the whole of UK, how could I not be on there...

Thats ace that it swttles the leaderboard in terms of cluster thingies. Now I finally undersrand why everyone wants to find a boggy marsh to wade through or get a rubner dinghie from PX and have the bike ride on that :grin:

I'm gonna have to embrace them boggy marshes myself as theres a few squares in my VV thats not got anything but greenriness! (is that a word and if so did i manage the proper English spelling :lol: )

Here we go: my lovely blue square with some lonely bare patches inside it

Wonder why theres not multiple clustwrs where we have filled the adjacent/up and down etc squares next to them!!
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

:-bd impressive. I think I need multiple commute routes that run through different squares
whitestone wrote:Here's my max square (19x19) and max cluster ...

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Wonder why theres not multiple clustwrs where we have filled the adjacent/up and down etc squares next to them!!
Yeah, you can only have one Cluster. I've suggested an option to click on any filled square and for VV to show how big that cluster is. This is being considered for a future upgrade.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wonder why there's not multiple clusters where we have filled the adjacent/up and down etc squares next to them!!
You can only have one max cluster and for another group to be added to it you need a "road" of at least three squares wide to connect the two. Note your solitary missing square above Ripponden: the squares that touch the sides of that square are green but those that "touch" the corners are purple so are part of the max cluster.

Also any human powered activity counts so: walking, running, cycling, paddling. I've had one or two squares that it's just not possible to get a bike to - going through farmyards with "no cycling" signs for example.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Colin, Andy - thanks for the info on the app. Sadly i'm on an iphone so android no use for me :sad:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

My efforts so far...

Joining that Inverness/Nairn cluster to my Aviemore one will be quite a jump.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Connecting those two looks an interesting challenge, you'll just have to leave Glen Feshie alone for a while :grin: I had similar concerns with a cluster in the north of the Dales and the one in the Lakes. A "very" cheeky ride across boggy moorland on the fat bike last autumn while things were still dry linked up the northern Dales but there's one square (paradoxically not far from where I grew up) blocking the Lakes link up that will be tricky to do on a bike.

Edit: redefined - you have incoming regarding Strava :wink:
Chew

Post by Chew »

Heres mine:
Those are all of the ones which i'd need to visit to get 100x100

For me its just good inspiration to go to new places, I havent yet visited.

Good to know Bob has most of the squares to the north of me, Andy to the south west, and i'm assuming Ian Fitz has the ones to the south
touch

Post by touch »

ScotRoutes wrote:My efforts so far...
That looks familiar!
My max square is centered around Inverness and i'm missing the same squares as you in the middle of Loch Ness, Beauly Firth and Moray Firth. I can only expand South East.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

My expansion west hits the wastes of the Monadliath. That's going to take a bit of effort.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ScotRoutes wrote:My expansion west hits the wastes of the Monadliath. That's going to take a bit of effort.
Just looked at the map - I see what you mean :shock: Have you thought of taking up ski-mountaineering? :lol:
touch

Post by touch »

ScotRoutes wrote:My expansion west hits the wastes of the Monadliath. That's going to take a bit of effort.
Yep, that's my only option for expanding the max square unless I take up kayaking and get the squares I need in the water.
The one in Loch Ness is very close to shore. I've tried looking at a few different maps to see if I could get it from right at the water's edge. I think it might require wet feet (or a short swim) though :(
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

There are squares in there that aren't even on Geograph. For all I know, there might still be wolves (and dinosaurs).
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Packraft is already on standby for Loch Ness. There's that odd square, plus a few between Fort Augustus and Foyers.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Good to see everyone's pics. :-bd

These 2 sentences perfectly sum up my couple of months of doing this:
techno mail wrote:seems like a good game to provide a bit of motivation. Useful when heading into the chilly months.
Chew wrote:For me its just good inspiration to go to new places, I havent yet visited.
I've probably ridden 50% more than I would otherwise have done, and have been down loads of new trails and places I wouldn't otherwise have considered. I've got right back into riding my "go anywhere" Surly, which is nice too.

My square/cluster as of tonight. I think once the nights get a bit lighter there's a project looming to fill in the rest of the Clwyds and join that up to my main cluster...
techno

Post by techno »

Got my max square up to 13x13. Has taken a while to get those two stray squares!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Small ride today, but big result.

My VV cluster went from this

2019-04-11_06-10-35 by Colin Cadden - Flickr2BBcode

to this

2019-04-11_06-10-52 by Colin Cadden - Flickr2BBcode

449 squares to 802. A few obvious fillers should get me heading towards 900.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Impressive

There's a new leader of the max cluster. He's lives in the Netherlands (I think) so he can't get to much of a max square. As a result he's focusing on max cluster and is absolutely killing it!
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Not been riding much, lately, but beginning to pick up a bit.
Went for a social ride with some friends (their route) and was gutted to find, afterwards, that I very narrowly ( as in " I could have just ridden down the wrong side of the road" narrowly) missed two new tiles.

Will just have to go back, now, won't I? ;)
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

That app is great, thanks...
Realised thanks to it that I'm only one short ride away from going to 12*12 from 9*9... And then fairly easy to get to 15*15. There's my plan for next week's time off then!
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

After a pretty frustrating week, and a wasted morning, trying (unsuccessfully) to get my Etrex35 to navigate a downloaded route (looks like it's borked, as the same route works on my GPSmap 60csx) I headed off for a road ride in the sunshine.
Bagging three new tiles took my square from 11*11 to 13*13 - and found a cracking, sweeping, steep descent - so the day was rescued.
A good Friday, indeed :)
techno

Post by techno »

Got my max square up to 14x14 last night, lovely evening for a ride and saw 13 hares. By far the most I've seen in one ride. :-bd
Screenshot_20190430-234549.jpg
(66.06 KiB) Downloaded 2391 times
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

AlasdairMc wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:23 pm I hit 17x17 yesterday with a meandering ride mixing road plodding, some mucky trails and some bog trotting. I only needed to get one square but ended up taking a few more, which will make things easier to start getting bigger scores. Sadly the outliers for 18x18 are on opposite sides of the square so I need to consider two rides for them.

I’ve only got one square left to ‘finish’ the Pentlands Hills, which I’m quite chuffed with, although typically you only find this out after riding maybe 200m away from it on another ride...
I got back into this recently with the return of decent weather. Completion of the Pentlands, and a few outliers, got me to 18x18. A single square on the other side took me to 19x19, and then I hit 20x20 last night with a post-work trudge through a bog, getting me home at 11pm.

I think 23x23 is achievable in a few targeted rides, but then it starts getting much harder. I've stuck to my ethos of riding to or from my house - no cars or trains involved (yet).
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Did a couple of short diversions on the way into work, last week, to bag a couple of tile, then another couple of diversions on the way home, for a few more.
Now up to 17x17, and getting to the point where bagging any more, on a ride from home, require 40 mile rides.
I don't mind doing the distance, but I'd rather do more exploring per mile, so I might have to start driving out to the edges, before riding.