Veloviewer map - explorer tiles

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

PJG

Re: Veloviewer map - explorer tiles

Post by PJG »

PJG wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:16 pm Looks like the very recent Strava update has included a major overhaul of the route planning. As far as I can see, this means that there is currently no integration back to VeloViewer, meaning I can no longer plot routes with an Explorer Tiles overlay :cry:

I've emailed Ben @ V-V to see if he's got any plans to re-introduce this - will keep you posted if I get a response.
Just seen that the Veloviewer integration with the Strava route planner is back in business !
Top work from Ben.

https://www.facebook.com/VeloViewer/pos ... 0524974692
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

PJG wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:35 pm
PJG wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:16 pm Looks like the very recent Strava update has included a major overhaul of the route planning. As far as I can see, this means that there is currently no integration back to VeloViewer, meaning I can no longer plot routes with an Explorer Tiles overlay :cry:

I've emailed Ben @ V-V to see if he's got any plans to re-introduce this - will keep you posted if I get a response.
Just seen that the Veloviewer integration with the Strava route planner is back in business !
Top work from Ben.

I concur - back in business!
:-bd
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Top work from Ben.

This is WONDERFUL news!
composite

Post by composite »

This is the only reason I will be paying for Strava when my free trial runs out.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

In Reverse wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:26 pm

Top work from Ben.

This is WONDERFUL news!
It’s great that it’s working again, just had a little play and all’s good :-bd I do wish there was a solution where we could use OS mapping, my current solution is veloviewer open on my phone then plot a route on the iPad or laptop using ViewRanger. Works well but you do have to cross reference lots.
What we need is a dedicated squares app, I only signed up with Strava for square hunting and the same with veloviewer.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

The changed colours for the squares your route goes through is a nice touch - would have saved me having to double-back mid-route a few times. :roll:

And it now shows your other "mini-clusters" off your main one:

In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Chew wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:00 pm
Dont think i've ever regretted an explorer ride
Amen to this. :-bd

Cluster's looking good Chew. :cool: I grew up in Bacup so shout up if you want some company filling in those bits around there.
composite

Post by composite »

Chew wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:00 pm Dont think i've ever regretted an explorer ride
When I was doing North Brum just recently, I wouldn't have said I regretted any rides as there was a certain charm about doing some urban riding, seeing and feeling the city, but many of those places I will simply never want to return to. However, there was only once that I genuinely felt like "wow I feel like a turd in a punch bowl here" on a Ti bike with deep-section wheels and I didn't slow down for the lights.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Mid and south Brum done to take me to 22x22. Happy that I’ve taken advantage of quiet roads to do the city bit- and riding through some of the more deprived areas makes me feel sad that no one cares.
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Chew wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:54 pm Suggestions are to use:
https://brouter.de/brouter-web

<Load>, <Tracks>, <Your VV .kml file>
Allows you to plot in your missing tiles and from there you can plot a route.
Only an initial play around, but looks promising :-bd
Just wanted to say thanks for posting this, very useful as non-subscriber to strava. Just playing around with it now, doesn’t seem to like plotting along canals or bridlepaths
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

UnderTheRadars wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 3:28 pm
Chew wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:54 pm Suggestions are to use:
https://brouter.de/brouter-web

<Load>, <Tracks>, <Your VV .kml file>
Allows you to plot in your missing tiles and from there you can plot a route.
Only an initial play around, but looks promising :-bd
Just wanted to say thanks for posting this, very useful as non-subscriber to strava. Just playing around with it now, doesn’t seem to like plotting along canals or bridlepaths

Changing the profile (top left dropdown box) makes quite a difference to the autorouting: Velomobile (fast) seems to stick to roads pretty well, some of the MTB ones take you off on potential bramble-fest hikeabike at every chance! Or you can edit one and create a custom autorouting profile.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

24x24 :-bd

Bloody missed a square today which would have taken me to 25 x( still a couple of rides should take me up 26x

composite

Post by composite »

BigdummySteve wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 2:33 pm 24x24 :-bd

Bloody missed a square today which would have taken me to 25 x( still a couple of rides should take me up 26x
Steve, talk to me about how you got this Square here.

I went past today and was going to try the roads marked 1, but both were gated with MOD signs on them.

Thinking of trying the gravel track marked 2 as the Satellite images show it runs on further than the map suggests. I went past the entrance and there is a sign but no gate.
composite

Post by composite »

Oh, think I have just seen on Strava heatmap where I should be going... although it looks like a proper field yomp after a stealth mission through a farmyard. :|
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Looking at the OS map there's a BW leading up to the (presumably) military installation. - http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=435258 ... &A=Y&Z=115 which should be in the square.

Not sure about English Civil War battle sites but for antiquities there should be public access. From http://www.battlefieldstrust.com/resour ... eFieldId=3 it looks like no access to the battlefield itself.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Chew

Post by Chew »

composite wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:49 pmalthough it looks like a proper field yomp after a stealth mission through a farmyard.
These are the squares you remember though :-bd

Also if you look on google earth there is a track on the ground that matches Bobs Bridleway
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

https://veloviewer.com/athletes/2455844 ... 2690515465

You can access via a farm field, in this weather it’s fine. You could then ‘accidentally’ slip sideways on the the track at no time seeing the no access signs :wink:

PS if you get shot or blown up I don’t know you :-bd
Last edited by BigdummySteve on Sun May 31, 2020 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slarge

Post by slarge »

There’s a legal route Neil. Take the btidleway by westcote farm and keep going. It hits the mid place, then follow the path left and then contour the woods and you end up on a farm track then an access road. It is signed as a bridle way, ending up in kineton. All quite legal
composite

Post by composite »

The bridle way is the Strava heatmap line. I should have looked on the OS map. Become so used to using open street map lately I basically forgot to look at an OS map... I should move my OS maps over to my new Garmin actually.

Thanks all.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Kineton MOD site is an interesting place. It's where loads of missiles are stored in underground silos (you can see them on google maps, or from the top of Edge Hill). My lad was thinking of buying an exMOD house next to the site - it's the sort of place that if something big ever did happen, you'd know nothing about it. It is also used for nuclear weapons storage when they're en route to wherever they go.
For all that you'd think they'd have more control over access, and I always wonder if there are hidden cameras and people detectors in the woods and fields...

And it sits on the site of the Battle of Edge Hill - something like 10,000 people were killed in a days fighting. Definitely off limits - not even TV programme makers are allowed to "research" it.
composite

Post by composite »

Episode 12. A week in the life of a Square hunter. :smile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSzl0nekHQk
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Just how big is your cap collection? :grin:
composite

Post by composite »

PaulB2 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:33 am Just how big is your cap collection? :grin:
Hi, My name is Neil and I have a cap problem. :-bd
composite

Post by composite »

Just been for a burn out to Harts Hill, Nuneaton and Bedworth. Hot one out there but maybe the last sun cream required ride for a while so totally worth it.

Up to 23x23.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Signed up today and I’m starting from lots of 5x5 squares since it looks like most of my rides on Strava go in one of two directions. Time to start planning routes