Veloviewer map - explorer tiles

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BigdummySteve

Re: Veloviewer map - explorer tiles

Post by BigdummySteve »

RIP wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:39 pm How you doin' anyway HOTT? Alright?
A little more optimistic now we have a little work, a few studios are tentatively opening including Pinewood, it’s fairly inconvenient cycling wise but helps pay the bills. It’s about time we got the band back together again, I’ve caught my limit of solo rides, I think the winter event was the last time, I’ve even tried befriending roadies by saying a cheery hello only to be ignored and having to follow it up with a ‘f**k ya then’
I need a proper BB ride, with puddings.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
RIP

Post by RIP »

BigdummySteve wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:00 pm
RIP wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:39 pm How you doin' anyway HOTT? Alright?
A little more optimistic now we have a little work, a few studios are tentatively opening including Pinewood, it’s fairly inconvenient cycling wise but helps pay the bills. It’s about time we got the band back together again, I’ve caught my limit of solo rides, I think the winter event was the last time, I’ve even tried befriending roadies by saying a cheery hello only to be ignored and having to follow it up with a ‘f**k ya then’
I need a proper BB ride, with puddings.
That's good. "Befriending roadies" though, steady on old bean. You'll have your BBB epaulettes ripped off at this rate. Was our last jape the Winter Event? Blimey it was wasn't it. Fingers xd for WRT - puddings and all.

(Sorry, back to the squares)
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
composite

Post by composite »

UnderTheRadars wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:57 pm There’s a German(?) chap on the same amount, has claimed squares in the middle of 2 lakes
I read about a few guys in Europe somewhere who were big square hunters that were all missing the same few squares in the middle of some lake. They teamed up to get a dingy on the go and all paddled out together. :grin:
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

PJG wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:33 pm
Looks like the number one slot in the BearBones all-time square tickers list is now firmly out of my grasp though, as Jack Peterson has come storming through in the last few weeks, and is rapidly heading towards the top of the UK chart ?

When did you take that screenshot of the leaderboard?

I got up to 25 X 25 about a week ago...
[Image2020-07-10_10-55-41 by belugabob, on Flickr

Or are we getting the leaderboard via different means?
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

The leaderboards are often in a state of flux it seems. Numbers can be all over the shop from one hour to the next.
PJG

Post by PJG »

slarge wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:03 pm Pete, not sure if it counts if you were on a tandem - I mean there's no evidence you did it under your own steam. Could have been the other rider doing all the work..... :lol:
:lol:

Steve, you'll just have to trust me that riding the tandem gives me a significant disadvantage over my solo.
I would offer that you pop up to Stockport and take my wife out for a ride, but some people might get the wrong idea :grin:
slarge

Post by slarge »

PJG wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:51 pm
slarge wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:03 pm Pete, not sure if it counts if you were on a tandem - I mean there's no evidence you did it under your own steam. Could have been the other rider doing all the work..... :lol:
:lol:

Steve, you'll just have to trust me that riding the tandem gives me a significant disadvantage over my solo.
I would offer that you pop up to Stockport and take my wife out for a ride, but some people might get the wrong idea :grin:
Don’t worry Pete- it’s a while since we’ve used our tandem, but I know where you’re coming from. It’s all about spending time together😁
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Those leaderboard screen shots, I notice in both of them for the years 'All' is not ticked. It only shows 2020 and 2019 but there may be other years ticked. You need to tick all to make sure all your historic tiles are included.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

sean_iow wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:30 am Those leaderboard screen shots, I notice in both of them for the years 'All' is not ticked. It only shows 2020 and 2019 but there may be other years ticked. You need to tick all to make sure all your historic tiles are included.
Are we looking at the same screenshots?
Both have 'All' ticked, surely?
composite

Post by composite »

sean_iow wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:30 am Those leaderboard screen shots, I notice in both of them for the years 'All' is not ticked. It only shows 2020 and 2019 but there may be other years ticked. You need to tick all to make sure all your historic tiles are included.
Sean you are reading it backwards mate. The blue button is what is selected, not the red ones.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Actually you're right, I was thinking the red was the selected years but it's the blue, so no idea what's going on with the leaderboard :???:
composite

Post by composite »

In other square hunting news, we went for a walk today and I collected 1 single new square. Probably the only square I will ever specifcally aim to get on a walk. :smile:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

After Neil tagged me in to a tweet by a chap who had got his 9x9 on the Island, the largest square possible*, and it took him 7 years i had an idea for a ride. Now I know how to export the kmz, I then converted it to a gpx to import to my mapping software and plan my own 9x9... but in a single ride. As I wanted to only get the tiles required for the 9x9 and none of the ones around the edge I had to plan the route carefully and also stick exactly to the plan. I really enjoyed it, it made tile hunting on the Island exciting again. 87 miles, 8058 feet and 9 1/2 hours of riding later we have this :grin:

The route looks a bit odd as I had to ride up and down the Island weaving about to get the squares. I took all the water and food I needed so as not to have to try and plan to go past any shops. I had 2 litres in a roll up carrier in my rucksack to refill my bottles as I went but at least it got lighter as the day went on. It's also the furthest I've ridden this year and the furthest on the Spearfish. So thanks to Neil for the inspiration.

* 10x10 may be possible but it includes a square below the high water line, so it that on the Island or offshore?
composite

Post by composite »

sean_iow wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:09 pm So thanks to Neil for the inspiration.
Saw the post, thought of you! :grin:

By the way, I feel like most of my square hunting routes look like yours. Here's a pic of tomorrows spaghetti.

UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

composite wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:34 pm
sean_iow wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:09 pm So thanks to Neil for the inspiration.
Saw the post, thought of you! :grin:

By the way, I feel like most of my square hunting routes look like yours. Here's a pic of tomorrows spaghetti.

That’s my manor, look forward to the video
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Darn it - got distracted by the farmer's market, in Lodsworth, and forgot to wiggle round the back streets. Those 2 tiles are going to be a pain to go back for.

Image2020-07-12_05-05-07 by belugabob, on Flickr
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

In other veloviewer news, a 60 mile bimble around the Cotswolds took me up to 35x35

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

belugabob wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:12 pm Darn it - got distracted by the farmer's market, in Lodsworth, and forgot to wiggle round the back streets. Those 2 tiles are going to be a pain to go back for.

Image2020-07-12_05-05-07 by belugabob, on Flickr
Bob do you have a garmin? I’ve installed ‘every square’ its limited in scope but does give a live indicator of which squares you’ve been through.

benp1

Post by benp1 »

Bloody hell, that leaderboard is crazy now

I thought I'd be in with a chance of getting up there, but you guys are ploughing on and I have three kids (one who's 1) and an 8 week old puppy, just can't find the time to build the square! I'm still plugging away at the local paths/roads because that's all I can do, I'll post up a photo at some point

Very impressive effort chaps
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Know where you’re coming from Ben, my lad is 11 now and comes out with me from time to time. He spent much of his younger life in a seat on the back then on the back of my Bigdummy, serious cycling was on hold until I did my Jogle in 2015.

Dean

Post by Dean »

I would like to have a go at some exploring (definitely not "tile collecting") but I do not have Strava, I am an app Luddite (I do not use smartphones). Does someone know how I can import the VV tile grid into Garmin Basecamp so I can plot routes over OS mapping and then upload to my GPS device?
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Bob do you have a garmin? I’ve installed ‘every square’ its limited in scope but does give a live indicator of which squares you’ve been through.
Yes, an Etrex35, where do I get that from?

I normally plot the routes beforehand, using Strava and the veloviewer browser plugin - I just wasn't paying attention, today and, by the time I'd gone through the village, the Garmin had re-routed to compensate
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Dean wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:32 pm I would like to have a go at some exploring (definitely not "tile collecting") but I do not have Strava, I am an app Luddite (I do not use smartphones). Does someone know how I can import the VV tile grid into Garmin Basecamp so I can plot routes over OS mapping and then upload to my GPS device?
If you don't use Strava then you can't use VeloViewer.

For your purposes, it would surely be easier just to base your exploration on OS grid squares.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

belugabob wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:38 pm
Yes, an Etrex35, where do I get that from?

I normally plot the routes beforehand, using Strava and the veloviewer browser plugin - I just wasn't paying attention, today and, by the time I'd gone through the village, the Garmin had re-routed to compensate
Not sure if it’s available for the etrex, it’s on garmin ConnectIQ, oh and it’s called Every tile. There’s a good app for Android phones apparently.

Dean

Post by Dean »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:49 pm
Dean wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:32 pm I would like to have a go at some exploring (definitely not "tile collecting") but I do not have Strava, I am an app Luddite (I do not use smartphones). Does someone know how I can import the VV tile grid into Garmin Basecamp so I can plot routes over OS mapping and then upload to my GPS device?
If you don't use Strava then you can't use VeloViewer.

For your purposes, it would surely be easier just to base your exploration on OS grid squares.
I should clarify, I have a free Strava account which I access through my browser and I can upload .gpx files from my Garmin to the Strava site to see which tiles I have crossed (I have done this for my TransCambrian from March, max square 2x2 unsurprisingly), I just cannot plan routes through tiles on VV or Strava.