Veloviewer map - explorer tiles

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

In Reverse

Re: Veloviewer map - explorer tiles

Post by In Reverse »

Yep, had one of them at the end of a 93km ride last year. Garmin crashed with about 2km left. Luckily it was a wonderful route so I rode it again a few days later.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

.My personal rules for a contributing activity are:
* Self-powered activity (cycle, walk, climb, paddle, swim).
* Enter the tile from another tile
Not sure I understand the second point - how else would you enter a tile?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

belugabob wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:02 pm Not sure I understand the second point - how else would you enter a tile?
Drive to the tile, get out of the car, walk round the car recording, get back in the car and drive home. The self powered activity must start outside the square to be collected.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Chew

Post by Chew »

belugabob wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:02 pm Not sure I understand the second point - how else would you enter a tile?
Think Pete means from one you've visited in a prior trip.

I have a similar (self imposed) rule.
Kinda links into you cant just drive somewhere and walk about for 5 mins to get a tile.

Unless its an event/ride that someone else has initiated, but then I dont have the control of where the start/end point(s) are.
PJG

Post by PJG »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:07 pm
Drive to the tile, get out of the car, walk round the car recording, get back in the car and drive home. The self powered activity must start outside the square to be collected.
Yes, as Sean said. If you've got 1 isolated tile, the temptation is to drive to the tile, and stroll round the car then drive off. I at least require myself to cross one tile boundary (it's not much of an obstacle I admit :lol:)
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Gentle bimble in the furnace today, nudged my max up to 31x31 :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Ah - that makes more sense
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

PJG wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:54 pm
Yes, as Sean said. If you've got 1 isolated tile, the temptation is to drive to the tile, and stroll round the car then drive off. I at least require myself to cross one tile boundary (it's not much of an obstacle I admit :lol:)
Got one to grab, tomorrow - will involve a walk along the beach, though, as you can't drive into the tile
composite

Post by composite »

Did a burn out at Coventry today which took me to 27x27.
More to the point though this now leaves me 1 ride away from 38x38!

Also here's my latest episode with a bit more square related stuff going on.
Diary of a Randonneur - Episode 14 - Season restart predictions and modified season goals
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Nice one Neil! I thought I was keeping in the game coming up to 34 but you’ve banked a few there, I could go to 34+ with one ride but at the moment I’m suffering from serious foot pain, much over 20 miles and I’m gambling on having to unclip and pedal with my midfoot balanced on a crank brothers candy. So what’s after 38? Job done or shooting for the top, it’s a little addictive, with the additional bonus of discovering new places.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
slarge

Post by slarge »

Ok, so I'm a bit impressed Neil, but it's only a matter of time (and a lot of miles) before I catch up. This Sunday I will get to 27x, then it's only 32 rides and about 2 years to get to 40x. I'm on your tail fella
composite

Post by composite »

BigdummySteve wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:35 pm Nice one Neil! I thought I was keeping in the game coming up to 34 but you’ve banked a few there, I could go to 34+ with one ride but at the moment I’m suffering from serious foot pain, much over 20 miles and I’m gambling on having to unclip and pedal with my midfoot balanced on a crank brothers candy. So what’s after 38? Job done or shooting for the top, it’s a little addictive, with the additional bonus of discovering new places.
I think 50x50 will be the next target. That's an extra 6 squares top and bottom and then 5 on the right and 7 on the left.

Honestly, the exploring angle is still the thing that is keeping me getting out there. Seeing new places and just not riding the same old same old is what I'm living for right now. I never would have seen myself driving to still relatively local locations to ride but I just can't keep looking at that same 30-45mins to get anywhere away from home.

Now that it looks like the Audax will start again on August 1st I have some decent distance targets to meet before the end of the season in October. Basically I will need to do 1800km in August and September so why not do those 9 200km rides as square hunting routes and hit several goals at once!
slarge wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:07 pm Ok, so I'm a bit impressed Neil, but it's only a matter of time (and a lot of miles) before I catch up. This Sunday I will get to 27x, then it's only 32 rides and about 2 years to get to 40x. I'm on your tail fella
I'm sat at the cafe waiting mate. Coffee and cake on me. :grin:
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

Nice one Neil, your getting into the 100 mile ride to go anywhere new territory. Don't think I will expand mine into Brum in a hurry, so more interested in drawing pretty pictures with my cluster now. Hoping to link up to all those lovely Welsh off road bits come Jul 4th :grin: Image
The old git in the yellow socks
composite

Post by composite »

numplumz wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:24 am Don't think I will expand mine into Brum in a hurry, so more interested in drawing pretty pictures with my cluster now. Hoping to link up to all those lovely Welsh off road bits come Jul 4th
I was looking at my cluster only this week. I did a trip to see my Nan in March, Cambridgeshire, before she died and took 2 slightly different routes. I need to go back over that way to help sort out her house so I might do the return journey but 2 slightly different routes again and link up a long corridor of cluster there and back. I too have a lump of squares in Wales that I could try to link in the other direction.

EDIT: Thinking about a coast to coast cluster link up goal. :grin:
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

A nice 27 mile ride, in the lovely Sussex countryside, last night, bagged the group of tiles needed to go from 19x19 to 25x25

Before...

After...

4 or 5 more rides should get me to 30x30

Creeping up the bear bones leaderboard. But have pretty much reached the South coast, so will have to start venturing into "the smoke" in the medium to long term future
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'll not lie - I look at these achievements with a massive amount of respect and awe. However, I'm also aware of the fact that they are largely made possible due to the density of population and the nature of the terrain, neither of which I'd swap for my local area 😉

I like the idea of a coast-to-coast cluster. Might start route planning....
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Excuses excuses........ I believe you have something called “right to roam” ?? So nowhere should be off limits to you :wink: :p
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:43 am I'll not lie - I look at these achievements with a massive amount of respect and awe. However, I'm also aware of the fact that they are largely made possible due to the density of population and the nature of the terrain, neither of which I'd swap for my local area 😉

More to do with the density of the roads/trails, , in my case, TBH.

Despite being sandwiched between London and the coastal conurbation, Surrey and Sussex are surprisingly undeveloped. It's fairly easy to ride for several hours with seeing many people.

It's not Scotland, though - I'll give you that.
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

belugabob wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:53 am
ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:43 am I'll not lie - I look at these achievements with a massive amount of respect and awe. However, I'm also aware of the fact that they are largely made possible due to the density of population and the nature of the terrain, neither of which I'd swap for my local area 😉

More to do with the density of the roads/trails, , in my case, TBH.
This, really. I might have said before here, there's a plethora of roads and bridleways around here with very few gaps that make square hunting a relatively straightforward process. My 29x29 square that looked really good a month ago is now a bit beleaguered!
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
FLV

Post by FLV »

Sorry if I have failed to find it in the thread somewhere but,

Is there an iphone version or alternative to explorer helper?
You know, a live map position overlayed with tiles?

My work has provided me a phone now so I didnt get to choose. I used to really like the helper to check if I'd made it into a square, particularly round my way where getting into a square can involve tromping across tussocks for a while.

Cheers
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

FLV wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:36 am
I've used Maps.me in the past - you need a .kml file to show the tiles and then overlay onto a live map. Works on Iphone and Android I believe.
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
techno

Post by techno »

Pickers wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:48 am
I've used Maps.me in the past - you need a .kml file to show the tiles and then overlay onto a live map. Works on Iphone and Android I believe.
Looks like that will work in Google "my maps" too. Not sure if that's available on iOS.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Pickers wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:48 am
Cheers, thats worked.

*I think someone has told me about that before so apologies if so,
techno

Post by techno »

Does anyone know any way to overlay the veloviewer Kml file over an OS map?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've made screenshots of OS Maps and overlaid them on Google Earth.