Veloviewer map - explorer tiles

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

benp1

Re: Veloviewer map - explorer tiles

Post by benp1 »

More tweaks to the map on VV, including settings for changing colours. Now much easier to see where I need to go (I'm red green colour blind)
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The Explorer map cluster is a bit weird. I got the purple squares before getting the button to centre on them (and thus explain what they were). Looks like the maximum contiguous squares that don't have an edge bordering a square you haven't visited. I think I've described that OK.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Pete-G

Post by Pete-G »

That pretty much explains it, but I still had to look at the explorer map to see what you meant. Slightly different slant on the max squares I guess.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Max Cluster is on the leaderboards now. I'm assuming that it only calculates it the next time people update.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I was first out of two the other being Veloviewer Ben when I looked at the cluster. I read it was to do with people who cannot get to a square for some reason although been all around it. For instance Jack P has said an air force base is stopping him getting a square.

Back up to 19x19 so may pop out tomorrow to get 3or 4 squares back that I hadn't been to anyway ;-)
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

10x10 for me now. Will be interesting to see where it takes me next year.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Richard G wrote:10x10 for me now. Will be interesting to see where it takes me next year.
Back up to 11x11 but I've got seven of them :lol: Need a few "cheeky" diversions to fill in some of the missing squares.

One current goal is to get my Dales/Pennines visited tiles linked up with those in the Lakes. If you hear of a cyclist being seen heading up the hard shoulder of the M6 .... :oops:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

:lol:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Big ride today, stupidly hilly, lots of squares, adding... 1 to my max square! :lol:

In fairness though, I've only got to go on a fairly easy ride to significantly increase it now.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Richard G wrote:
ScotRoutes wrote: There's something on the VV Facebook page tat might be relevant.
I can confirm that's correct.

So if anyone is missing tiles they think they shouldn't be, they can just load the activity associated.
So apparently this isn't foolproof. I've lost a square that was very hard to get to, and re-loading the activity hasn't done anything.

More annoyed about it than I should be. =/
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Managed to sneak into Grangemouth docks tonight, grabbed 2 of the 4squares in there before they caught me and threw me out. I think if I wait a couple of weeks I can sneak back in and get the third but no way I'll get to the forth, it's part of the oil refinery and has tight security, may have to invest in an inflatable kayak and paddle out there!
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Such a brilliant thing to get arrested for. :lol:
Pete-G

Post by Pete-G »

Haha. I've got something similar, there's one square I can see in the not to distant future that will stop me from getting a nice big number and it's out in the Severn estuary. I really don't fancy finding out how soft the mud is out there.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Pete-G wrote:Haha. I've got something similar, there's one square I can see in the not to distant future that will stop me from getting a nice big number and it's out in the Severn estuary. I really don't fancy finding out how soft the mud is out there.
Does Strava have a canoe category? :wink:

I'm approaching the point where I'll be hemmed in by various estates that are either anti-bike or anti-everyone :| I'm back up to 13x13 after the algorithm change. The square that's stopping the next expansion is mostly really rough moorland and has just one track into it (FP only) that goes right through a farmyard!
quimarche

Post by quimarche »

Can you not hike-your-bike along the footpath?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

quimarche wrote:Can you not hike-your-bike along the footpath?
Looking at the map (always good!) the footpath actually stops at the farm, there's no track or open access land on the other side. It's not one of those daft change of designation instances you occasionally get at parish boundaries where one parish said it was a bridleway and the other said it was a footpath.
giryan

Post by giryan »

*edit* Just got to your post where you mention the colour settings.

I'm only 4x4 atm, with some annoying omitted squares, so short ride soon, to fill in about 6-7 squares and I'll get to 10x10 :D
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Assuming the ride on Sunday doesn't kill me, it should put me up to a fairly respectable grid...
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Up to 14 by 14. Should have been a couple higher but the ride didn't play out like I wanted.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

A decent ride yesterday got me up to 11x11, if only I could get that last one in the docks I'd be at 12! Anyone got a canoe I can borrow? :lol:

Looks like I'm heading north west to keep expanding
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Thats annoying! Lash two fat bikes together, it'd be like a pedalo

I forgot about this thread. I had a good ride a little while back and pieced together quite a few missing random tiles. I'm up to 15x15 now

I need to go another ride to pick up about more random tiles, 3 more to get to 16x16 and 6 more to get to 17x17

After that it's going to get a lot harder
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Beacons and black mountains are my next expansion areas. Going to be a ton of climbing if I want more squares. :|
chris n

Post by chris n »

Made it [back] to 11x11. Finally, 6 months after moving house, I've got a blue box around where I live. :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Back on 13x13. One tile will get me to 15x15 and another two will get me to 16x16 before a further separate two will get me to 18x18. A final pair will see me to 18x18 and then I've some fairly big blocks hemming me in.
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

Just been poking round the explorer tiles on this. Looks like they can show the explorer tiles with an OS map backdrop now - I'm sure they didn't used to be able to do this. I like this bit alot!
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike