Cairngorms loop in April group.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Justchris

Cairngorms loop in April group.

Post by Justchris »

Anyone planning to do the cairngorm loop at the end of April in the group departure? I know of one other who has sent his email to steve.

Thanks

Chris
PJG

Re: Cairngorms loop in April group.

Post by PJG »

Thanks for the reminder !
Just sent my email now.
Chew

Post by Chew »

50/50 for the April start
Sent an email to Steve, but not herd back
touch

Post by touch »

I sent an email for the April group start a few days after opening date but didn't get a reply yet.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Thinking of the September edition this year.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Justchris wrote:Anyone planning to do the cairngorm loop at the end of April in the group departure? I know of one other who has sent his email to steve.

Thanks

Chris
Am I that one other? Martin is signed up too.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Just sent my email now.

Let's hope for better weather this time; it was a long drive north last year to abandon!
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

AlasdairMc wrote:
Justchris wrote:Anyone planning to do the cairngorm loop at the end of April in the group departure? I know of one other who has sent his email to steve.

Thanks

Chris
Am I that one other? Martin is signed up too.
Yeah its you. Didn't know Martin was going. If the conditions were ok he would probably be a strong finisher as well.

I think alot of people will favour the September date as it gives them the whole summer to prepare.

Bout time you did a sub 24h Alasdair!
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

Chew wrote:50/50 for the April start
Sent an email to Steve, but not herd back
He probably won't reply for a bit. Maybe February. Unless he gets swamped for places.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Justchris wrote:
Bout time you did a sub 24h Alasdair!
Unlikely! You have seen me ride, yeah?
Howard

Post by Howard »

I had a brief email conversation with Steve at the start of December - mainly along the lines of surely it can't be as bad as last year! Anyway, barring injury I'm definitely doing the April start a) because it's a brilliant route and b) it's part of my prep for the HT550 :-bd
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I am very keen to ride the cairngorm loop but am not convinced that early May (or late April) is the time of year to permit my optimum enjoyment of the area :wink:
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

ianfitz wrote:I am very keen to ride the cairngorm loop but am not convinced that early May (or late April) is the time of year to permit my optimum enjoyment of the area :wink:
However, it is a fantastic shakedown for the HTR550, so worth it for that alone. It's also a lot of fun
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

April is out due to incoming family constraints. So I'll hopefully be on the September start.
adamwwallace

Post by adamwwallace »

I'm hoping to do it in April but I came off the bike on ice over Christmas and landed pretty hard on my shoulder. Turns out it's a grade 3 AC joint separation which is pretty unhelpful but I should be back on the bike in a few weeks and able to get training for this.

For anyone that can't make this but still wants to do some riding in the Cairngorms, the Deeside Trail start will be on the 24th of June which should give enough of a break between doing this and the HTR.
Howard

Post by Howard »

adamwwallace wrote:... I came off the bike on ice over Christmas and landed pretty hard on my shoulder. Turns out it's a grade 3 AC joint separation which is pretty unhelpful but I should be back on the bike in a few weeks and able to get training for this...
You're not having much luck Adam - hope you get back to full fitness.

I can recommend the Deeside Trail - not as severe as the Cairngorm Loop, but definitely not to be underestimated - some very challenging sustained single track that was beyond me in many places!
KamelTrek

Post by KamelTrek »

I sent an e-mail application, fingers crossed I hope to be there at the start in April.

I rode it over three days with some friends from Germany and they were blown away, as I was. We did have perfect weather though and a slower pace. I feel this ride will be a very different animal.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Getting close to decision point for those travelling a long way for the event this weekend.

Any Cairngorm based Boners care to give an opinion on the conditions expected for the weekend? In particular the state of rivers after the forecast rain over the next few days?
ianpv

Post by ianpv »

ha - I just asked the same question on another thread. It looks like the low level snow has gone. forecast improving but still cold and windy.

As I've already done the CL, I think I may go for the lakeland 200 instead. Need some hike-a-bike training for the HT550, it's closer, and the forecast is better...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've just been shopping. It's lovely and mild. I didn't need a coat or a hat!

The local weather man has this to say
Since it is midweek here is a look at what we can expect for the Weekend and into next week.
Well it is good news as i have been saying for a few days now, all parts much milder, there will be a lot of dry, bright weather with just a few scattered light showers over the weekend, it will become windy though especially on Sunday as we see patterns changing.
Monday could well see a little rain but after that we see much milder air following from the south and temperatures will begin to rise as will sunshine amounts, we can expect to be seeing high teens towards 20c for some, not all from Tuesday.
However as always there will be differences from east to west, as the feed will be from the east as it often is in May that means areas inland and towards the WEST will see the highest temperatures, North Sea coasts and those a few miles from are likely to see much cooler temperatures and the risk of haar and low cloud at times.
Nights inland will be cold with frost in the glens and straths.
At this stage the dry, settled weather stays until the end of next week and into the weekend but it will turn cooler for all with a freshening easterly wind meaning west will hold onto the best of the temperatures and no doubt the sunshine, the east and NE feeling cold.

View from the window 5 minutes ago

A couple of other points for those that may have missed them from other recent threads.

* Ruigh Aiteachain bothy is still being rebuilt so it's not available.

* The big landslip at the Allt Garbhlach (NN851953) is still there, so the steps end several feet above the river bed. It's passable with a wee bit of care.

* The landslip further down the glen (NN851961), where the Feshie took a big chunk out of the bank and I put rocks across the track to warn the unwary, has now been bypassed to the right (away from the river). It's obvious.

* In general, the "official" route through Glen Feshie is out of date. Follow what seems to be the obvious track. If you want to keep dryer feet though, the wee bit of singletrack at NN862900 still avoids two river crossings for the sake of a wee gravelly scramble.
Last edited by ScotRoutes on Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

That's for this weekend Colin? We're heading to the north west :grin:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

whitestone wrote:That's for this weekend Colin? We're heading to the north west :grin:
Aye, that's this mornings update. Lee, the local guy, is based in Carrbridge and has weather stations all around the Highlands and Islands. He's very good at applying local knowledge to what the "big" forecasters are coming up with.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ScotRoutes wrote:
whitestone wrote:That's for this weekend Colin? We're heading to the north west :grin:
Aye, that's this mornings update. Lee, the local guy, is based in Carrbridge and has weather stations all around the Highlands and Islands. He's very good at applying local knowledge to what the "big" forecasters are coming up with.
He might be the guy who used to do similar in the Skipton area - I seem to remember him moving to the Highlands a couple of years ago.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I noticed the weather forecast too - looking pretty bloody good, pity it won't last until the end of May!
West is best (for a change)
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

htrider wrote:I noticed the weather forecast too - looking pretty bloody good, pity it won't last until the end of May!
West is best (for a change)
You don't fancy joining us this weekend?