info req on gps watches

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

paramart

info req on gps watches

Post by paramart »

just looking for info on gps watches mainly for running/cycling any good recommendations, ta as carting my 800 around is poop
it's not that I can and others can't, it's that I will and others won't.
Dave Barter

Re: info req on gps watches

Post by Dave Barter »

I have a basic Garmin Forerunner 10. does the job but it takes a few minutes to get a location fix which means I have to jog on the spot like a hampton for a bit whilst waiting.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

Garmin 235 here. Wear it 24/7 as an activity tracker. Does about a week between charges in that mode.

GPS is about 10% battery an hour.

Cold fix is 60s or so, normally fixes within a couple of seconds.

If I had the money I'd get one of the new fenix 5's
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Lezyne have a new wearable available, saw it on Singletrackworld this morning in the news section.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

The Lezyne one looks pretty good

What do you actually want it to do? Some function in some ways better than others

Personally I use an Apple watch, it's not a brilliant fitness tracker, not does it have its own GPS chip, but I find it brilliant for everyday use/cycling combined with my phone - I can dictate messages while I'm on the bike ("i'll be home in 20 minutes"), controlling music, stopping/starting strava, paying for stuff in shops without getting my phone out, checking updates/messages, checking my to do list

BUT, it's not as good as something like a Garmin for specific fitness stuff. And the battery life isn't brilliant

But I've been wearing it for nearly 18 months and it's ace
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

I have a fenix 3 that I use for running, hiking and cycling.
Works well.
A "running dynamics" chest strap that enables the watch to display various running parameters. Ground contact time balance is particularly useful.
A version of the fenix 3 (or all fenix 5) permit on-wrist heart rate measurement
Wear it as an everyday watch, though it is a little large on my slim wrists.
Garmin announced the fenix 5 recently.
Apparently the watch can control a VIRB camera.
The watch can receive notifications via the Garmin Connect app running on ones phone.
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

garmin 235 is half the weight of the fenix, half the price and does 90% of what the fenix does.

mine will do 10hr GPS/GLONASS with HRM, general activity tracking and 24/7 HR is about 6-7 days between charges and only takes an hour or so to charge from USB.

smart notifications are useful. upload to strava is seamless 99% of the time.

no mapping etc. but then 99% of the time I know where I am and where I'm going.
paramart

Post by paramart »

thanks for the help, want it to track fitness activities mainly running/riding, no interest with music playing functions, but would like gps, heart rate was looking at tom tom 3 with hr monitor
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Personally, for that sort of thing, I'd stick with Garmin

I've always had TomTom as being a better car sat nav, but Garmin being a better gps for everything else. This is all IMHO obviously!
evilgoat

Post by evilgoat »

I have a TomTom runner 2. it's good at tracking and nice having HR, although people question the accuracy of optical HR.

Battery life is good. something like 10 hours in tracking mode, a week easily in activity monitoring mode.

BUT I would not buy another TomTom and wouldn't recommend you do, the bluetooth connectivity with my android phone is shocking. always dropping out, sometimes failing to connect. I prety much always have to plug it into my laptop to upload an activity. The apps on phone and laptop are rubbish and flakey.

I am not alone in my experience and multiple complaints to the Tomtom customer service by lots of people dosen't seem to make any difference. They haven't fixed it in many firmware upgrades. Have a look at the tomtom discussion forums for details.

My wife's garmin fitness tracker has seamless bluetooth connectivity with her phone.
paramart

Post by paramart »

thanks for the info in the end I went for the tom tom runner3 cardio,