Long term lights: real world reviews

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

AlasdairMc

Re: Long term lights: real world reviews

Post by AlasdairMc »

My current lights:

Exposure Diablo
Gets used mainly as a helmet light but I've just remembered where the bar mount is for it. It's my go-to light for most things that aren't commuting, very small so gets stuffed in a rucksack pocket in case I'm benighted. The indicator can be a bit dodgy, so I've heard you need to reset the programme every so often and that makes it more reliable.

Exposure Revo / SP Hub
Used with an axle converter to 135mm on my Jones for the HT550, and it was garbage. The shim was badly machined so it just didn't work, and I lost a lot of time charging things in cafes instead of on the bike with the Sinewave Revolution. Going back to 100mm through axle on my Stooge and it's been flawless. I keep thinking of swapping out to a lighter wheel as the days grow longer but the constant front light is possibly beneficial on the road commute.

The real pitfall of the Revo is when riding technical stuff. If it isn't bright enough, you slow down. If you slow down, it gets even less brighter, so you slow down further. That said, paired with the Diablo it's excellent.

Exposure Spark
Avoid. Unreliable crap.

I used to carry a headtorch but now don't need one.
Nitecore TUP
This puts out 1000 lumens for 25 mins, or 200 for 3hrs. Most important for me, it's small enough to keep on my keys and is USB chargeable, and is a reliable backup light. Size-wise, it's slightly over half the size of the pack of Chewits I've got on my desk.

Nitecore TIP
Smaller version of the above, 360lumen for 30 mins, 180 for 90 mins. Half the size of the above, has got me off the hills when both of my Sparks failed despite full charges. I now always carry one of these Nitecore lights when I'm out given that I've had to use it in anger - much more effective than a phone torch or whatever.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

On the topic in general... why are modern rear lights so sub standard?

I just had to try and find stock of some old AAA style lights that I use because the rechargeable runtimes are complete garbage. The highest I could find were about 30 hours... which sounds like a lot until you realise that those runtimes are on the lower settings.

My Moon Pulsar (and previously a Cateye that I had) will do 100+ hours flashing at 25 lumens. Which means on something like the winter ride I'm happy enough just turning it on and forgetting about it. That's before you get into the fact that AAA batteries are available basically everywhere.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

is it because chinese lights are so cheap and easily available?

The batteries[ in the uk] cost more in this country than the entire light which comes with batteries.

I am not spending more than £ 3 on one probably nearer £1
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Even high end stuff. It's all complete crap.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Richard G wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:44 pm On the topic in general... why are modern rear lights so sub standard?

I just had to try and find stock of some old AAA style lights that I use because the rechargeable runtimes are complete garbage. The highest I could find were about 30 hours... which sounds like a lot until you realise that those runtimes are on the lower settings.

My Moon Pulsar (and previously a Cateye that I had) will do 100+ hours flashing at 25 lumens. Which means on something like the winter ride I'm happy enough just turning it on and forgetting about it. That's before you get into the fact that AAA batteries are available basically everywhere.
Something like the Hope District? Runs off pretty hefty battery packs. I've got a 4-cell pack (5200mAh) from MTB batteries that according to the data would give something like 30hrs on maximum (135 lumens). Looking at Hope's data that would give you 400hrs on the flashing mode :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

But that's the point though, AAA batteries weigh next to nothing. It just doesn't feel like progress to move onto rechargeables.

Admittedly 100+ lumens would be kinda batshit.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I did have your issue a couple years ago and eent and got the latest cateye aaa version for that very reason. But after getting my shinier usb ones and settling on em, I've never looked back at the cateye and it was sat for ages in the shed until recently when it went to WRT charity tinghy (I think).

rear lights i live with and have been doing with for past couple years is/are:

2. The Bontrager (this https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Bontra ... feEALw_wcB) which comes on as the backup or when I really need to show traffic I'M HERE so they can (and do) give me a wide(er) berth.

1. The Exposure Strada (this https://www.evanscycles.com/exposure-tr ... n-EV302595) which is my main rear light and just gets recharged every few days and stays on throughout my rides (including 6 hour commutes). I just ensure I have it on the lost flash setting I can get away with/feel ssfe for the condtions...

Both have bee lovely and I no longer miss my aaa versions as getting new batteries was a faff in and of itself.

One negative of the Exposure is that it is particular about which charger/power bank you use to charge it (or ita just particular about the correct cable) and the rubber strap didn't last the 2 years and I had to use my MTBbatteries green strap to increase lifespan...
redefined_cycles

*it did take many moons deciding whether I should be spending so much on such 'to be seen' lights but am glad I bought em now (not at same time) and love em to pieces (well maybe not that much but you gets the drift)...

:geek:

Shafiq
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 5:22 pm Both have bee lovely and I no longer miss my aaa versions as getting new batteries was a faff in and of itself.
:shock:

But yeah, neither of those would cut it for me. 23 hours in flashing mode is pretty weaksauce.
redefined_cycles

https://www.cateye.com/intl/products/sa ... /TL-LD650/

:-bd good old cateye... I remember when one would assume theyre waterproof (and they were and lasted years at a time) but now they only put 'highly water resistant' (see below) or nothing at all (above)

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mob ... huEALw_wcB
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

I have a set of AYUPs, they are excellent. However they lost their UK distributor a number of years ago, so they are not so readily available. Excellent long lasting battery and very lightweight though.

They have even managed to last about 10 years!

https://ayup-lights.com/index.php?route ... #container
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

It looks like Smart still makes a raft of AAA options.

http://smart-bike.squarespace.com/oem-taillight
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

Rich, I’ve got an old exposure blaze that I really rate. I’ve had it for about 6 years and used it loads. Not sure about exact runtime, but it has done several multiday trips in autumn/winter where it has been used a fair bit and it lasts really well on pulse mode. I think they are similarly priced to a hope district, so not cheap, but has lasted well and has a long runtime.
Mark
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I do rate exposure stuff (as do many other bikepackers), but alas, that's still not enough runtime for me.

It's cool though, I'll just be like one of those old nutters hoarding old tech. Reminds me of buying four keyboards because I particularly liked the layout... :lol:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

The exposure rears are bright but troublesome and short lived - rear flare is hard to miss but gave no end of battery and charger probs. TraceR is fab, especially in the daybright mode but the on/off switch is pish and it only goes for about 3 hours.

The smart / phart / etc lights with the single 0.5 watt led and two normal led's are the best, value and idiot proofness wise for me. Bought (yet another) off planet xxxx for the rovaniemi with two lithium AAA's they last for ages and are plenty bright enough.