29+ vs 27+ front

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

duncdan

29+ vs 27+ front

Post by duncdan »

Hi

Im looking to build a front wheel around an XT hub dynamo and a wtbi35 rim but not sure weather to build a 29+ or 27+ for my Charge cooker 1? Does anyone have experience of fitting a 29+ wheel to a 27+ bike?

Had the charge for 6 months and im really pleased with it as it replaced a rigid steel kona which I loved.

Thanks
Charliecres

Re: 29+ vs 27+ front

Post by Charliecres »

I've got a Swift and a Stooge, both with 3.0 tyres on the front. I've tried other bikes with 27+ on the front and I prefer the bigger option, at least for a rigid bike.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm the opposite of Charles and prefer the 'less wheelbarrow' feeling of B+. Always feel that I'm having to somehow push 29+ along.
May the bridges you burn light your way
duncdan

Post by duncdan »

And this is why we have such a choice of wheel and tyre sizes!! :lol:

Norm is this on all terrain or just tarmac / hills? Also do you think this is a weight or tyre issue?

Thanks
duncdan

Post by duncdan »

Im looking to buy this hub for lights and charging duties:

https://www.rosebikes.com/article/shima ... aid:515917

Any thoughts on this or other options?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Any thoughts on this or other options?
I've got one of the cheaper 6 bolt Shimano hubs, can't fault it so far. Bit heavier than a SP or SON but both cheaper and with user serviceable bearings.
Norm is this on all terrain or just tarmac / hills? Also do you think this is a weight or tyre issue?
More noticeable on flat / uphill as you'd expect. Downhill the 29+ front is a steamroller, nothing knocks it off-line or slows it down, I just find those traits don't translate too well when gravity is pulling in the opposite direction. B+ seems to provide more than enough grip and cushion with less of a trade-off IMO.
duncdan

Post by duncdan »

Thanks norm. I think that was the conclusion Genesis came to as well. I don't have the funds to try both unfortunately.

I'm still tempted by a 29 but it would be simpler to have same wheel front and back.....
gairym

Post by gairym »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I'm the opposite of Charles and prefer the 'less wheelbarrow' feeling of B+. Always feel that I'm having to somehow push 29+ along.
I've been banging on for a few years now about how a company should come along who tailor the wheel size and accompanying geometry to rider size.

Tiny folks on 26", medium sized folks on 650b and normal sized humans (I'm 6'2"!) on 29ers.

How that's not just a logical thing I'll never understand.

It'd be weird if you (Stu) suited 29+
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

gairym wrote:Tiny folks on 26", medium sized folks on 650b and normal sized humans (I'm 6'2"!) on 29ers.

How that's not just a logical thing I'll never understand.
Would it perhaps be because 29er wheels roll better regardless of rider height?
gairym

Post by gairym »

Sure, once up to speed and with enough power to keep the momentum going.

26" wheels are more agile (regardless of rider height) but I think that there's a sweet spot for each rider height.

Anyone tried those 32" wheeled monsters?

I'd be keen but there's got to be a limit, bigger isn't just automatically better.
mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

Quite a few companies do that to a degree but tend to just limit it to 650b and 29, with maybe the small and med available as both so you can choose your trade off. I'm definitely influenced by advertising but i think trek have a tagline 'ride the fastest wheel that fits' (my lbs is a trek dealer...)

One of the german man brands (liteville?) go further and have xs is 26 front and rear, s is 650/26, m 650/650, l 29/650 etc or something similar. Pity the man who has to handle their warehouse.
jameso

Post by jameso »

I looked into the proportional wheel size thing when 29ers came along as a mainstream option, came to the conclusion that it's illogical. Sorry Gairy : ) Liteville agree with you and make a good case for why they do it, same reasons that 69ers can feel fun. I just see wheel size as a major influencer of bike ride style and handling, not a general fit aspect. Primary reason for changing wheel size is bike use so 2 or 3 wheel size combos to me means that bike is effectively 2 or 3 different models. So I'm with trek, unless your height is at the extreme end, wheels for use and handling preferences, geometry for fit and pulling it all together. Edit to add, problem with this idea either way is none of us can test the theory very well.. needs Stretch Armstrong as a bike tester. If I had 2 bikes, 2 versions of wheel combo a 'size' apart , I could ride both OK and length/fit aside I'm pretty confident the wheels would be a (subjective) major factor in which one I preferred.

29+ or 27+ front on a 29er bike, depends on current handling I guess. I've not put a 29+ on my 29er mainly because I like the handling as is. A bigger front wheel adds trail and flop effect, changes the balance a bit. Might be a good thing on some bikes and less so on others. Personal stuff really.
Dovebiker

Post by Dovebiker »

I have a rigid 29+ and have no problems being at the lower-end of the height and weight spectrum - I love the way it just rolls over everything and totally bomb-proof on descents - just let it go!
slarge

Post by slarge »

Not sure if rider height proportional wheel sizes are the right approach, although it may depend on the type of riding. I'm 5'7" and my 29er hardtail is very light and quick. However I purposefully went for wheels that were the same weight as the 26 inch wheels on my old hardtail, so the inertia effect should be small. I am sure if I did downhill stuff it would be a different story though.

Would like to try + size tyres to see how much extra grip and bounce they give.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm the same height as you Steve but I have long legs / short body. I don't find the extra height associated with 29" or + an issue, my main problem is finding frames with short TT. Luckily, over the years, I've noticed that many 29ers had shorter TT than their 26" wheeled variants - longer chainstays but same wheelbase kinda means a shorter TT.

The upshot is, I often find that bigger wheels suit me better.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Wee legs and muckle wheels can screw your luggage carrying capability
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Check tyres available for each - limited for 29+
duncdan

Post by duncdan »

limited choice but enough i think.

looking at these panaracer fat b nimble:

http://nextdaytyres.co.uk/details.aspx/ ... TB-29/1839

listed as less than 800g

I think i have to try 29 plus to know, might be an expensive experiment but only one way to find out.

As a dyno virgin im looking at this as an adapter:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-BIKE-PHON ... Sw3ydVh6fU

And not sure what the best option is for lighting? If anyone has any suggestions for a cheap / simple option ?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've used FatBnimbles on my Pact. Useless as a front tyre as soon as the ground is at all soft and wet. Passable on the rear if you're happy with letting the back end of your bike find its own way. Might work as a grrrrravel tyre.
gairym

Post by gairym »

boxelder wrote:Check tyres available for each - limited for 29+
Not prohibitively limited in my experience.

You've got the FatBNimble, Chronicle, Knard, Chupacabra, Bombolino, Trax Fatty, Dirt Wizard and a few others I can't think of I'm sure.

But whilst there may be a fair bit around now, one thing I think will be a factor is that the industry has decided that B+ is where it's at and so for general future-proof-ness 29+ is more risky.

I'm keeping an eye out for tyre deals so I can stock up just in case things get scarce for my Rooster.
duncdan

Post by duncdan »

Any tyre recommendations? The cupacabras look like the fat b nimbles?
Last edited by duncdan on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

duncdan wrote:Any tyre recommendations? The cupacabras look like the fat b
I had fat B nimbles and they had a casing defect causing them to 'wobble' on the rim. I exchanged them and the defect was still there. I believe it's been sorted now. More of interest they size up small, around 2.8 (a mate now runs it in the rear on his Fortitude)
Currently running Chronicles, not a great lover of them in the mud. They do roll well however I was looking to replace them with the chubacabra as they are over 200g lighter each, albeit not cheap.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

rufus748 wrote:
duncdan wrote:Any tyre recommendations? The cupacabras look like the fat b
I had fat B nimbles and they had a casing defect causing them to 'wobble' on the rim. I exchanged them and the defect was still there. I believe it's been sorted now. More of interest they size up small, around 2.8.
The 27.5 x 3.5" version is the same width as my 3.0" Nobby Nic - around 75mm.