Dear God make it stop!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gazaddy

Re: Dear God make it stop!

Post by gazaddy »

Yaay payday today.......1/2 price sleeping bag- ordered....25% off bucket seats for van - ordered. Both xmas prezzies off the family...

Oh and put a cheeky offer on a 29er on ebay and got it..........wife doesnt know yet...gulp...

Not a bad black friday.
--------------------------------------champagne lifestyle on lemonade budget
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

The only things that I was after (a GPS and a scanner) I've not seen any cheaper so naw.

Was off today on a flexi just couldn't be arsed with it all though.

The new Gillian Welch cd that I preordered from HMV turned up though (even got a pound refunded) but I don't think that counts :cool:
Give the dirt a little room.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Does a trip to Asda to buy some grub for a bivy count? :???:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

My bike shop is anti Black Friday, we've stayed open and have offered free tune up on bikes in exchange for charity donations (whatever value you like) for a children's hospital.
Ian

Post by Ian »

I've yet to do any Christmas shopping (on account of it still being November :roll: ), but it is my aim to buy all the presents we need from within Brecon town.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Not spent a single penny today and currently making home made yoghurt. Feeling virtuous, moi?! :lol:
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Ian wrote:I've yet to do any Christmas shopping (on account of it still being November :roll: ), but it is my aim to buy all the presents we need from within Brecon town.
Coffee shop wifi to use Amazon. :-bd
rando nomad

Post by rando nomad »

We noticed the Black Friday vs Boxing day comparison when we moved to the US from Canada via OZ. No sales after Christmas, but tons of sales before Christmas here in the US. Never made sense to me. I'd get $$ for Christmas and then go out after Christmas and spend it on the stuff that no one got me- usually cycling stuff. Or we'd buy stuff we needed- new cycling kit for winter - in November when we needed it, rather then wait for Christmas.
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Hmmm I think I might be guilty....a Cotic Escapade frame arrived today.

Technically I bought it last week.

Plus that was a 'yellow' friday sale. :wink:

(However I don't really NEED it, it's replacing my bamboo frame that is perfectly functional. It just makes fitting mudguards and a rack easier/less of a massive bodge)

I however got very little Black friday related in my inbox as I unsubscribed/blocked a lot of stuff earlier in the year so my inbox didn't fill up when I was away in the summer.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Cant complain really as Tony just reminded me by reading this to look at some wheels off superstar comps to see if i could get em any cheaper.....and boom 55 quid off making it a grand total of 130 quid for set of wheels for the cx :-bd
Ian

Post by Ian »

johnnystorm wrote:
Ian wrote:I've yet to do any Christmas shopping (on account of it still being November :roll: ), but it is my aim to buy all the presents we need from within Brecon town.
Coffee shop wifi to use Amazon. :-bd
You know that's not what I meant! :lol:
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

I think you're pushing it to expect to do all your shopping in Brecon. That's coming from the man who did all of his one year in Colliers Wood retail park and fit it all in a motorcycle top box.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Whilst I'm not a big fan of hundreds of marketing emails, I targeted one (bike-related) thing I wanted, knew what the best price I could get it for last week was and therefore saved myself £50 at 7am yesterday morning when Merlin had reduced it. Bought no other tat I didn't want, so I feel like I've played them at their own game. Mate at work did exactly the same, so knew the Garmin he wanted had reduced precisely £0.00 since last week so bought nothing. Just business innit?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I feel it has sort of worked for me. I've been looking at a 2016 bike that had already been reduced and one came up yesterday for £500 less so I went for it. Of course there's every chance it'll stay at that lower price regardless but it did mean I got the bike I wanted at a price I was (finally) prepared to pay.

I think it can work in the consumers interest if you're savvy enough.
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

I've saved loads using this:-

http://www.buynothingday.co.uk/
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

It's a load of s***e, but it has meant repairing my car is a bit more affordable than it could have been. Image
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Don't understand the fuss. Sure the marketing emails have been tedious, but I can cope with a few extra seconds pressing the delete icon. I did purchase a nice new jacket from an independent shop that had a good offer on,that I sort of needed but wouldn't have paid full price for. So I'm happy, the shop owner sells an extra jacket; what's so bad about that?

If the doom-mongers are right in their economic forecasts we need to be extra savvy (or go without), so why grumble about a bargain?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

My wife succumbed - she got a £1 Soreen Malt Loaf for 77p in Morrisons! Or is that not what is meant :???:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
atk

Post by atk »

Just for info, whichever company owns Soreen are large Tory party donors.
mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

It's been easy this year. Other half and I just bought a house and spent yesterday moving in, so I had neither the time nor the willingness to spend even more money!

Last year I had a list of things I needed and a list of things I really wanted but only at x price. Then made sure I didnt buy anything that wasn't on those lists. I like to think that gives a bit of a balance between 'buying things because just they're cheap' and refusing to get anything cheap....
jameso

Post by jameso »

Voodoo_simon's bike shop wins 2017 black friday's do the right thing award. Patagonia get a gold star too :-bd
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Patagonia get a gold star too
How so? Curious as I'm on the look out for a specific item.....

ETA: ah, I see now. Yes, def gold star!
Give the dirt a little room.
gairym

Post by gairym »

'Cyber Monday'???
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

Weekend survived, didn't buy anything "in the sales" but my partner ended up with a brand new TV....dont worry there were no riots and its actually a brand name you can pronounce :lol:

But on the Friday I did end up dropping an enormous amount of £££ on a present (talking new bike or even car money here). It wasn't in any sale and I'm still wondering if ive lost the plot....not easy dropping a years savings on one thing.

P.S points out to whomever can guess what it is :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

P.S points out to whomever can guess what it is
Is it a ring? ... if it is, there's still chance to take it back you know :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way