2017 plans

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

SR

Re: 2017 plans

Post by SR »

I am going to give a shot next year. After to much grown stuff going on this year. :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'll start a thread outlining details a little nearer the time.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I'll start a thread outlining details a little nearer the time.
Loving the new avatar Stu :-bd
rando nomad

Post by rando nomad »

Starting to make 2017 plans. Would any one up in Scotland have a suggestion about a nice town one could base themselves out of for a week? Ideally a range of road and off road options leading from town, but a big enough town
to have some dinner options and cake options during/post ride? Wife is interested in more base camp options next year. Rail service to Edinburgh would be ideal.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

rando nomad wrote:Starting to make 2017 plans. Would any one up in Scotland have a suggestion about a nice town one could base themselves out of for a week? Ideally a range of road and off road options leading from town, but a big enough town
to have some dinner options and cake options during/post ride? Wife is interested in more base camp options next year. Rail service to Edinburgh would be ideal.

Peebles would tick those boxes.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Dare I suggest Aviemore?
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

ScotRoutes wrote:Dare I suggest Aviemore?
You can but may be accused of bias :wink:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

True.

DON'T COME TO AVIEMORE!!!
Gari

Post by Gari »

Yeh, what Colin said. The riding is pants here, and the cake!! :grin:
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

rando nomad wrote:Starting to make 2017 plans. Would any one up in Scotland have a suggestion about a nice town one could base themselves out of for a week? Ideally a range of road and off road options leading from town, but a big enough town
Peebles, Fort william and aviemore are obvious choices. But Moffat and dumfries puts you in stanes country and some good roads as well. Pitlochry as well, arguably the best trails in Scotland for enduro type riding. Nice road riding as well, good apres cycling also. Dumfries and Moffat will also cut your journey if coming from across the boarder significantly.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Loving the new avatar Stu
NWA - Norm With Attitude :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Loving the new avatar Stu
NWA - Norm With Attitude :wink:
Col killa *grins*

Greetz

S.
landel

Post by landel »

Very disappointed having to pull out of the BB200 this year due to the early arrival of our son and the consequential lack of training. All my focus for 2017 is on the TransAtlanticWay Race in June. Nearly 100 signed up with some big names, it's going to be a good one.
cragrat73

Post by cragrat73 »

Well after a 2016 of running events such as Man v horse, gloucester marathon and cheltenham half marathon. i think it's time to abuse myself on the bike, although i did do 2016 Singlespeed UK Champs, but that was a different abuse (a sheep outfit caked in mud).
So the Ridgeway double (hopefully) beyond that ?
unless i see other longer running events :wink:
Scott L

Post by Scott L »

Ian wrote:My plans are, probably in order of execution

Rovaniemi 300
High Rouleurs Journey
Everesting - Suburban
Cairngorms Loop
Everesting - Soil (thus completing the SSSS elite class)
Borders 350
TNR
BB200
Ian, are you thinking Borders 350 as a group start or ITT? You don't happen to know the group start day? I quite fancy a go at it also.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Scott, not sure exactly - first weekend of July has been the trend for the last two years.
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

Cycle more miles than drive. Big life style change coming my way thank goodness!
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Justchris wrote:Cycle more miles than drive. Big life style change coming my way thank goodness!
I've managed this for the last two years and expect to next year too. Most of the miles driven are for fun reasons. Don't need to drive for work
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

ianfitz wrote:
Justchris wrote:Cycle more miles than drive. Big life style change coming my way thank goodness!
I've managed this for the last two years and expect to next year too. Most of the miles driven are for fun reasons. Don't need to drive for work
Much of my work is driving ;-)

Mind you, it's not all bad. I get to drive round some really scenic bits of Scotland with cyclists on holiday, chatting about where they're going, where they've been, what they've seen and acting as a bit of a tourist guide. It's a hard job etc etc etc :lol:
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Moffat and dumfries
:lol: Marriage counselling and divorce solicitors available in Dumfries too......
Scott L

Post by Scott L »

Ian wrote:Scott, not sure exactly - first weekend of July has been the trend for the last two years.
If that is the case that will tie in nicely with my holidays as I am working in a school just now. (hoping to start teacher training next September)

So I will go for:

Either a Cairngorm Loop or Deeside Trail ITT.

Borders 350 group start

An eastern Europe touring trip.

Probably no HTR, I have some more learning to do before I return to that race. But I'm planning to work towards really putting down a time in it!
gypsumfantastic

Post by gypsumfantastic »

Ride my bike
Smile lots
YD300 again
Survive wild camping with a 4yo and 6yo

I've got 1 eye on the HT550 in 2019 for my 40th
gazaddy

Post by gazaddy »

Its my 50th next year so let the adventures begin...new to bikepacking so the new year will be the starting point..
Bivi a month
Dirty Reiver
3-4 day Manchester - Snowden with walk up Mt Snowden - Manchester via canal towpaths.
Pennine bridleway sth-nth
Capital Trail....hopefully
--------------------------------------champagne lifestyle on lemonade budget
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Hoping to get more rides and more overnight trips (by bike and on foot) than this year.

Also looking at a duathlon style ride as a fundraiser - around the boundary of south Yorkshire. Should be approx 25mile fell run from Burbage bridge to somewhere near Marsden, then a minor roads, tracks and bridleway ride around the rest. Hopefully doable in daylight hours around the longest day.

Also fancy a go at the peak 200.
Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

Mbnut wrote:My goals vary a little to most here.

Though it is all just riding my bike.

I am hitting 50 in 2017 so will be a young Grand Vet, so I figured I'd have a go at a complete race series of the Enduro kind. If I can avoid injury etc I am hoping to get on the podium but that would be the icing on the cake rather than the cake itself.

Then there are a couple of trips away, a week in Les Arcs and a week in Tuscany, these will be very much descent orientated. Plus the usual trips to Wales (very much my spiritual home) that I fit in whenever possible.

In the bikepacking line I am hoping to give the bivy a month a good go.

One or two BB events and I have to say that the Spanish coast to coast ride Mr Piston has posted up is calling me.

But the main goal is to stay healthy and happy.

So things change.

I have all but let the idea of a full race series go, the reasons are two fold. One being that no series has all rounds that call out to me (apart from the Scottish Enduro Series but I live in Kent so kinda a tall order) and the other is I find I want to mix in more of this bike packing malarky.

Maybe even having a go at a couple of group starts, the Braunton 150 and September Cairngorms Loop being the ones that have caught my eye.

The main goal remains.... I would venture made easier by the fact I have discovered the aforementioned malarky!