Magnetic dynamo connectors

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

mat_swan

Magnetic dynamo connectors

Post by mat_swan »

http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/11/10/dyn ... onnectors/

Seems like a pretty tidy idea if it does what it says on the tin and is properly waterproof.
jam bo

Re: Magnetic dynamo connectors

Post by jam bo »

They only seem to claim weatherproof and I can't see much sealing.
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

Why do they need to be waterproof? The shimano connections aren't, and I've never had any issues as long as I clean the grime off it every once in a while. My understanding is that because the voltage is so low it doesn't really matter if it's wet? Would be interesting if someone with more electrical knowledge can say for sure...
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

They look useful, and not just for dynamo wires but I can think of other non-bike uses.

I had an similar idea about connectors for dynamo lights inspired by the magnetic power connector on my macbook. It occurred to me that with a magnetic connector for the power lead it would be possible to make a dynamo powered helmet light. One end of the connector can be fixed to the bars next to the brake lever
mount and the power lead can run down your arm to a short wire with the other connector on. When getting off the bike it would just come undone and you could just connect it back up when getting back on? With the small size of the kLite it would be ideal for helmet mounting?

Sean
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

Interesting, having previously killed a few garmins with water, I sealed the USB lead into my edge1000 with Sugru and fed it to a waterproof plug and socket.
But a mag connector would take the hassle out of quick disconnect for cafe stops, and remove the family bit of loose wiring of the bike.
Thinking could use Sugru to fix connector to base of Garmin pointing in direction of my choice, snap cable on and off, simples.
The old git in the yellow socks
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Having pulled a lead out of the crimp when trying to remove a Son Dynamo wheel beside the trail/road I can see how they would be useful.

Also useful if you wanted to run two different sets of forks and easily swap them.
(or two different types of dynamo hub e.g. one Son and one SP, leave wire on bike and swap last portion with connectors)

However at £18 for one set of connectors delivered...I think I'll just be more careful disconnecting wires in future and continue to consume zip ties shifting wires/looms about. :roll:
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

This looks like neodymium magnets and spade connectors wrapped in heat shrink. Can easily be made for buttons from eBay / Maplin parts.

e.g. epoxy or Sugru some of these into these leaving the exposed magnet face clean and clear, making sure you orient the magnets in pairs so they attract. The magnets will attract and conduct.