Downs 300 ITT

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Re: Downs 300 ITT

Post by jameso »

What are people's thought on a route that would have some small sections that would require the riders to officially walk bits?
If you're going to release it as a 'thing', don't include footpaths. People won't walk them and official routes should avoid them. Pedalhead's Ridgeway double ITT makes a point of being fully legal. I may use other sections if I ride it as a very individual TT for my own fun, but anything with a name, route and fastest known time attached etc imho should be responsible and legal. Sorry ... :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If you're going to release it as a 'thing', don't include footpaths. People won't walk them and official routes should avoid them. Pedalhead's Ridgeway double ITT makes a point of being fully legal. I may use other sections if I ride it as a very individual TT for my own fun, but anything with a name, route and fastest known time attached etc imho should be responsible and legal. Sorry
Yep ^.

I predict that one day the crap will hit the ITT fan and there's no point in making anything potentially worse for yourself or others.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Javi

Post by Javi »

Did it over Easter and didn't notice the route going through any footpath. All legal for bicycles. :-bd
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I see you barely stopped. That's one hell of an effort.
Javi

Post by Javi »

Richard G wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:16 pm I see you barely stopped. That's one hell of an effort.
I had to change plans last minute and repack for a lighter set up, not having time to stop to sleep, leaving on Sunday morning instead of Saturday afternoon. :roll:
Clanton

Post by Clanton »

Thanks Richard - that looks like it.
Hummerlicious

Post by Hummerlicious »

My route is different to the one DUncan originally proposed, I have ridden it all to make sure it works and there is NO footpath, it's all totally legal, otherwise I wouldn't have put it out there.

Well done Javi, I hope it was hilly enough :wink:

And if anyone else fancies a go this is the link:

http://bikepackinguk.com/sd300/

It was last summer's labour of love sorting it all out!

Once the WRT is out the way then I'm going to have a go at riding it all in one go.
------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.Sussex-MTB.com
Riding bikes, dreaming about riding bikes.
My head is on the Tour Divide
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

WRT and FRT that is... :lol:
Hummerlicious

Post by Hummerlicious »

Very true Richard, I didn't want to confuse people by adding FRT in there too :lol:
http://www.Sussex-MTB.com
Riding bikes, dreaming about riding bikes.
My head is on the Tour Divide
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

It doesn't have any footpaths. that question was answered two years ago.
jameso wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:24 pm
What are people's thought on a route that would have some small sections that would require the riders to officially walk bits?
If you're going to release it as a 'thing', don't include footpaths. People won't walk them and official routes should avoid them. Pedalhead's Ridgeway double ITT makes a point of being fully legal. I may use other sections if I ride it as a very individual TT for my own fun, but anything with a name, route and fastest known time attached etc imho should be responsible and legal. Sorry ... :grin:
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

My route doesn't have any footpath, and is very different to the one you saw two years ago Jim.

Hummerlicious wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:30 pm My route is different to the one DUncan originally proposed, I have ridden it all to make sure it works and there is NO footpath, it's all totally legal, otherwise I wouldn't have put it out there.

Well done Javi, I hope it was hilly enough :wink:

And if anyone else fancies a go this is the link:

http://bikepackinguk.com/sd300/

It was last summer's labour of love sorting it all out!

Once the WRT is out the way then I'm going to have a go at riding it all in one go.
spindicator

Post by spindicator »

I’d be interested in this. I’ve ridden lots of it here and there but a loop would be great.
jameso

Post by jameso »

dlovett wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:15 pm It doesn't have any footpaths. that question was answered two years ago.
jameso wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:24 pm
Wasn't following it then sorry, just interested seeing a thread on a relatively local route.

Earlier post in this thread said
as a result there are a couple of place where it's use a foot path or a major detour.
... so I concluded it was meant that FPs would be used to avoid a detour. If not, all good.
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

I had a go at this yesterday, but failed miserably. I'd hoped to do it in under 24hrs and set off at 3.45am (rejigged route for Seaford start point), but got to 150 miles at about 9pm and decided I didn't have the stomach for another 4 or 5 hours in the hills in the dark! Hot-tailed it back from Washington along the road for a total of 184 miles, but disappointed I didn't get to finish it (Komoot here if you're interested - https://www.komoot.com/tour/78394062?ref=wtd).

My thoughts -
  • A lovely route. Pretty grueling, especially the western (and much less familiar to me) end, where the climbing and descending felt non-stop. Stunning views though, and a real showcase for the high-spots of this part of the world
  • The upshot of doing it at this time of year (apart from the longer days) was that it was all bone dry. That said, some of the trails were pretty overgrown and my arms and legs bear the scars of a lot of nettle & bramble interactions! Swings and roundabouts...
  • I did it on @Jameso 's steel gravel/monstercross bike and, while it is an excellent iron horse, I am feeling it in my arms, back & shoulders today. Obvious really, but on a ride with that many flints, ruts and tree roots, some sort of suspension & fatter tyres would help.
  • There are some bits without opportunities to restock on supplies, so any aspirants should carry plenty of water. I had two big bottles, but still ran out early on the section between Storrington and a rather fine pub in Singleton.
Anyway, thank you very much for designing the route and to all those who had input. I don't think I'll be trying it again, but huge kudos to the bloke who managed it inside 24hrs - a better man than me!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Retiredtester wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:38 am I had a go at this yesterday
Were you riding Jim Barrows route? I'm thinking of riding this.
Retiredtester wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:38 amThere are some bits without opportunities to restock on supplies, so any aspirants should carry plenty of water. I had two big bottles, but still ran out early on the section between Storrington and a rather fine pub in Singleton.
I've been looking at locations for water. After the pub at Singleton (The Partridge Inn) I don't think there's anything for another 22 miles when the route goes near the Earl of March and then it's another 21 miles to Arundel, unless there's somewhere I've missed?
Retiredtester wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:38 am huge kudos to the bloke who managed it inside 24hrs - a better man than me!
I thought there was only one completion to date and that was in a time of over 53 hours?

http://bikepackinguk.com/2019/07/03/sd3 ... t-victims/
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Hi there. Yes, that's the one. My mistake - I thought Javi had completed it in in under 24hrs, but I think the website you signposted has been updated since I planned my ride. I think it's definitely doable inside 24 (I managed 240 of the 300k in 17.5 hours before I gave up), but I'd recommend doing it on at least a hardtail mtb.

That section you mention between the pub at Singleton and Arundel is the longest without water options, but I added a small out and back leg at Lavant and headed about a mile south towards Chichester where there's a garage with a big co-op. That breaks it up nicely and, depending on where you're starting from, that section may come a bit earlier in the ride than it did for me, which would help.