Downs 300 ITT

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

slarge

Re: Downs 300 ITT

Post by slarge »

I think a published route using footpaths would be a bad idea, especially down south where its a bit more populated. It could be a judgement thing though, wher if you knew how well used the footpaths are, and likely risk of conflict, then it may be ok. Or you could get the landowners permission....
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I think you'd be asking for trouble, unfortunately.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Good point. I don't think an 'official' or readily-available online route for bikes should use footpaths, not a good precedent to set. Especially in the SE near to a well-known walking route. In reality the additional traffic it causes will be negligible, it's just the principle really. ITT pressure and walking rideable stuff doesn't seem to fit, but also ITT/S-S ethical standards are pretty good, mostly. The thing is that a route shared online doesn't always come with all the ethics that most of us would learn via racing or the D300 site may express, it'll just be a route to ride.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

@mat_swan I'm in north Dorset at the top end of the Gravel Dash route. If you want some help / suggestions for routing round my way send me you current route and I'll have a think. dyffers at hotmail.co.uk :-bd

@dlovett I'll also have a go at your ITT, and am not adverse to a bit of cheeky riding but I agree with the above that its just not cricket to publish something with footpath riding involved as for an ITT you're basically mandating a route.
Giacomo

Post by Giacomo »

I know the trails around Peaslake, Holmbury, Leith hill very well. Let me know if you need any assistance with that section. It would be a shame to miss out the good stuff!

Giacomo
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

dlovett wrote:One of the problems with down south, is the amount of privately owned land and as a result there are a couple of place where it's use a foot path or a major detour.

What are people's thought on a route that would have some small sections that would require the riders to officially walk bits?
I like this idea of a circular route in this area making use of the SDW and Downs link route. Barry Godin has a couple of worthwhile videos on vimeo illustrating the good riding to be had.

I would avoid footpaths as an option though, even if pushing - technically it's still a trespass as a bike isn't considered a 'natural accompaniment' on a footpath. I've been thinking the same for Dartmoor knowing that besides the bridleways there is also some cracking, but not quite compliant riding. An individual would have less risk of an encounter with a landowner, but a promoted group start is more likely to involve some sort of confrontation, if not with a landowner then a walker. How dealing with a trespass would be enforced could depend on what side the landowner got out of bed, but from personal experience don't be surprised if there's a LOT of shouting; if the landowner got wind of the event they could ask your local Police Community Support officer to stop a rider under the Anti-Social Behaviour act 2003. Just sayin mind, but maybe better that a group start is squeaky clean and takes the detour...
Hummerlicious

Post by Hummerlicious »

I've been mulling this over today as I'm temporarily incapacitated and can't ride, I've nicked that "Southern Discomfort" by the way as I like it!

So if anyone is near any bits and want to check them out it would be appreciated, especially at either end as I live in the middle of it.

Have a look:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18601937

As far as I can tell from the OS map overlay it's 100% legal, it covers as big a chunk of the South Downs as I could fit in within the 300KM, I can't see the point of going north to the surrey hills, it'll just add too many road links from what I can see. I've tried my best to keep them to the minimum.
------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.Sussex-MTB.com
Riding bikes, dreaming about riding bikes.
My head is on the Tour Divide
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I can't help with the route I'm afraid but I do have a sort of related question. I see it uses some bits of track twice or branches off and re-joins. On my eTrex I just have my gpx as a track and follow the purple line. Do you (or anyone else) know how to get the eTrex to show which way to branch off? When I've made my own routes which branch off or go along a track both ways I just have to either remember how I planned it or make up a crib sheet with the way to turn and the distance, i.e. "branch left first time"
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I took to writing it down on paper. lol
Hummerlicious

Post by Hummerlicious »

Richard G wrote:I took to writing it down on paper. lol
Waterproof paper?
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

That sounds a bit organised for me.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I usually take a printout of the route in case of GPS issues and mark that up with the turnings where a route splits but thought I'd ask in case there was a way to do it on the eTrex I was missing. Looks like paper is the way.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I could scout some of the western bits for you. Only fair since you picked my idea for a name :-bd
Hummerlicious

Post by Hummerlicious »

Charliecres wrote:I could scout some of the western bits for you. Only fair since you picked my idea for a name :-bd
Cheers, equally as I don't go over that way too often if you can put any singletrack or fun bits in that would be great
Hummerlicious

Post by Hummerlicious »

sean_iow wrote:I usually take a printout of the route in case of GPS issues and mark that up with the turnings where a route splits but thought I'd ask in case there was a way to do it on the eTrex I was missing. Looks like paper is the way.
Not familiar we the E trex unfortunately, I have a Touring Plus
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Charliecres wrote:I could scout some of the western bits for you. Only fair since you picked my idea for a name :-bd

Thanks I'll let you know if I want any help with that.
Javi

Post by Javi »

Hi Duncan,

Going to start early this Sunday/Monday from Henfield at km 132. Any last minute advice? Weather looks good, it should be dry.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Ooh... and there was me thinking I wouldn't have to work hard to set the best time when I do it!
Javi

Post by Javi »

No, Richard. I'm going to ride to the start after work on Saturday afternoon (115km) and I'll carry sleeping kit so it won't be 'an ultralight in one go through the night' ITT.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I think I'm definitely planning on taking sleeping gear, unless someone does it in something like 30 hours in the mean time. :)
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Good luck, but as it’s you I don’t though will need it! I was out on the downs about 4 days again and everywhere was pretty hard surface wise and dry. There hasn’t been much rain if any since then and some good winds to help dry it out further.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

You must mean Jim Barrow’s Southern discomfort route as I never published mine. I’ll update it and put a link up to it shortly. Jim’s route looks good too.
Javi

Post by Javi »

dlovett wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:53 pm You must mean Jim Barrow’s Southern discomfort route as I never published mine. I’ll update it and put a link up to it shortly. Jim’s route looks good too.
Oppss! Didn't realize it was his route.
Clanton

Post by Clanton »

Is there a link to Jim Barrow's version in the meantime? This is near me and i would potentially be interested in riding it.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »