ITT GPX online library

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ianfitz

ITT GPX online library

Post by ianfitz »

It seems that these are sometimes tricky to find. would it be helpful if I sorted out a 'definitive' resource that had links to all of the known UK (and further afield??) ITTs?

I've got a fairly large collection of them as it is. I feel a list coming on!

Bearbones 200 - >2013, 2014, 2015, 2016. someone will surely want to ITT the 2014, right?
Braunton 150
Borders 350
Cairngorm loop
Cambrian traverse (IB version)
Capital Trail
Deeside trail
EWE
HT550 - 440, 2015,2016
Hebden 200 - (still unridden Greg?)
Jennride (south lakes) 2016
Lakeland 200
North south Divide
Northern Way
One ton of gravel
Peak 200
PBW double
PBW E2E
Ridgeway double
South Downs Double
Smoke Ring
Tim W coast to Coast
Two tonnes of Gravel
TCW
TCW double
UK divide - not yet ridden (or a definitive route agreed on)
WHW double
Yorkshire Dales 200 - 2015, 2016
Yorkshire Dales 300

Are there any others people can think of?
benp1

Re: ITT GPX online library

Post by benp1 »

would it be helpful if I sorted out a 'definitive' resource that had links to all of the known UK (and further afield??) ITTs?
I think you know the answer to that already :grin:

Great plan sir
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Great idea.

And then Dave can overlay them all onto some OSM Mapping. .... :wink:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

OK, no problem. Feel free to add any other UK ones you are aware of - or have planned and not ridden! Plus any European and world wide ones. It would be a big help if you have links to, or the actual gpx file

post on here and email gpx to info@18bikes.co.uk with FAO ianfitz in the subject line. or PM me.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Nice one Ian.
danielgroves

Post by danielgroves »

ianfitz wrote:OK, no problem. Feel free to add any other UK ones you are aware of - or have planned and not ridden! Plus any European and world wide ones. It would be a big help if you have links to, or the actual gpx file

post on here and email gpx to info@18bikes.co.uk with FAO ianfitz in the subject line. or PM me.
How are you planning to collate them Ian? A wiki or GitHub repository seems like an ideal way to collate all of this information together. Happy to help out here if I can.
Adventures and Photography Blog: danielgroves.net/adventures-photography
Twitter: @danielsgroves
Instagram: @danielsgroves
Photography on Facebook: facebook.com/danielgrovesphotography
Photography on Instagram: @danielgrovesphotography
Roo

Post by Roo »

Excellent idea Ian, although I would say this as I was thinking the same thing 2 hours before you posted! Weird coincidence!

I like the idea of being able to look around a map and get an idea of where the routes are that I keep hearing about.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

GitHub repository
Sounds like a description of this place :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

Wow
Yes yes
Cracking idea.
:-bd
Grubby little urchin.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

ian - yes, mine still unridden, will release when I've it ridden.
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Great idea that Ian

Wondering if it would be of any use if I put up my Oban to Aberdeen trip - 200 miles, done in 1997, end of October ?
On second thoughts I'll put this as new topic under Routes
cycleofaddiction

Post by cycleofaddiction »

If anyone's interested I have a gpx of a 350 mile looped route around the Pennine's. The route incorporates the EWE & Pennine bridleway routes starting in Hope, with about 41,000 feet of elevation gain. I think with most of the UK ITT routes being around the 150-200km mark and doubles around the 200miles there isn't any middle distance routes apart from the Borders 350 before the often daunting HT 550. I think this route could be another really good warm-up route for anyone thinking about doing the HT 550. I'm thinking of spending about 5-6 days touring it late spring early summer next year, but I think a sub 4 day could be possible for the racing snakes. I've added a link and would be interested to hear what people think, especially anyone who has ridden on any of the route and if they think it stacks up as a possible ITT route. I've called it the Pennine Loop 350 but if anyone else wants to run with it and call it something else, feel free. http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=mpeesxkjqwnqhutg
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

cycleofaddiction wrote:I think with most of the UK ITT routes being around the 150-200km mark and doubles around the 200miles there isn't any middle distance routes apart from the Borders 350 before the often daunting HT 550. I think this route could be another really good warm-up route for anyone thinking about doing the HT 550.
Cairngorm Loop is another - about 300km. It's a pity there's no standard on whether it should be km or miles though. I'm guessing they'll all have to be in miles soon because Brexit.

Pennine Loop would certainly interest me. It's an area I don't know and a nice distance
cycleofaddiction

ScotRoutes wrote:
cycleofaddiction wrote:I think with most of the UK ITT routes being around the 150-200km mark and doubles around the 200miles there isn't any middle distance routes apart from the Borders 350 before the often daunting HT 550. I think this route could be another really good warm-up route for anyone thinking about doing the HT 550.
Cairngorm Loop is another - about 300km. It's a pity there's no standard on whether it should be km or miles though. I'm guessing they'll all have to be in miles soon because Brexit.

Pennine Loop would certainly interest me. It's an area I don't know and a nice distance
This is my point other than the 350 mile Borders route all the others are at most 200mile/300km's distance which then leaves a big jump to the 550 mile Highland Trail so a Pennine 350 mile route could be a really good option?
Chew

Post by Chew »

cycleofaddiction wrote:If anyone's interested I have a gpx of a 350 mile looped route around the Pennine's. The route incorporates the EWE & Pennine bridleway routes starting in Hope, with about 41,000 feet of elevation gain. I think with most of the UK ITT routes being around the 150-200km mark and doubles around the 200miles there isn't any middle distance routes apart from the Borders 350 before the often daunting HT 550. I think this route could be another really good warm-up route for anyone thinking about doing the HT 550. I'm thinking of spending about 5-6 days touring it late spring early summer next year, but I think a sub 4 day could be possible for the racing snakes. I've added a link and would be interested to hear what people think, especially anyone who has ridden on any of the route and if they think it stacks up as a possible ITT route. I've called it the Pennine Loop 350 but if anyone else wants to run with it and call it something else, feel free. http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=mpeesxkjqwnqhutg
Personally if you're setting out a potential ITT route it needs to be something that highlights the best riding in that area. Unsure if merging other existing routes together is the way ahead.

From that route the bit on the Pennine bridleway from Diggle to Glossop is very 'urban' and the bit above the MTL is very uninspiring.
Cut Gate is all but a bog fest the majority of the year.
There's quite a bit of road which some is very busy.
Is the double slog across the Vale of York, worth the short Moors section.
Also there's a lot more interesting ways through the section, around Halifax.

If you are thinking of riding it, shout up and I can give you pointers for the middle bit :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

There's the Cambrian Trail - https://cambriantrail.wordpress.com/ at 513Km which is, errm, 513Km.

Outside of Scotland it becomes quite awkward to come up with a cohesive route longer than 300Km just because of the scale of our upland areas.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
cycleofaddiction

Chew wrote:
cycleofaddiction wrote:If anyone's interested I have a gpx of a 350 mile looped route around the Pennine's. The route incorporates the EWE & Pennine bridleway routes starting in Hope, with about 41,000 feet of elevation gain. I think with most of the UK ITT routes being around the 150-200km mark and doubles around the 200miles there isn't any middle distance routes apart from the Borders 350 before the often daunting HT 550. I think this route could be another really good warm-up route for anyone thinking about doing the HT 550. I'm thinking of spending about 5-6 days touring it late spring early summer next year, but I think a sub 4 day could be possible for the racing snakes. I've added a link and would be interested to hear what people think, especially anyone who has ridden on any of the route and if they think it stacks up as a possible ITT route. I've called it the Pennine Loop 350 but if anyone else wants to run with it and call it something else, feel free. http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=mpeesxkjqwnqhutg
Personally if you're setting out a potential ITT route it needs to be something that highlights the best riding in that area. Unsure if merging other existing routes together is the way ahead.

From that route the bit on the Pennine bridleway from Diggle to Glossop is very 'urban' and the bit above the MTL is very uninspiring.
Cut Gate is all but a bog fest the majority of the year.
There's quite a bit of road which some is very busy.
Is the double slog across the Vale of York, worth the short Moors section.
Also there's a lot more interesting ways through the section, around Halifax.

If you are thinking of riding it, shout up and I can give you pointers for the middle bit :-bd
Thanks for your comments Chew, I threw it out there just as an idea of a possible Pennine Loop and this was just the kind of info and knowledge that I was after . My understanding of the EWE route was that Aidan Harding wanted it to include some of the UK'S best natural trails?
cycleofaddiction

whitestone wrote:There's the Cambrian Trail - https://cambriantrail.wordpress.com/ at 513Km which is, errm, 513Km.

Outside of Scotland it becomes quite awkward to come up with a cohesive route longer than 300Km just because of the scale of our upland areas.

Yes this one did slip by me. If there's one area outside of Scotland that could possibly contain a ride of this size it has to be the Pennines?
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Ian

Would you be interested in additions to established routes?
I rode from Salisbury to Winchester last week as a prologue to the SDW.
I think farawayvisions has a route to Salisbury from deepest Dorset so in total you are close to doubling the overall distance.
I am planning on Devon C2C Plymouth to Ilfracombe next month which passes through Braunton. Again if you add from and return to Plymouth to the B150 you are doubling the overall distance.
Am also working on a Dartmoor northern loop but needs for them to stop live firing long enough to try it out. :lol:
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Chew

Post by Chew »

cycleofaddiction wrote:My understanding of the EWE route was that Aidan Harding wanted it to include some of the UK'S best natural trails?
He has when hes asked for people to provide certain sections, Stu, Ian, etc...
To be fair theres no good way to get from the Peaks to past the M62 offroad and theres no good offroad options across the Vale of York due to the geology.
Also I believe Aidan kept to bridleways, whilst most of the good stuff in Calderdale involves cheekiness.
stucowp

Post by stucowp »

I'm currently building one Ian and will let you know when it's completed, hopefully around March as its part my winter riding schedule. Currently called 4 counties and around the 350 mile mark with a little bit of elevation gain here and there. :-bd
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Chew:
Have to disagree on that.

"by Chew » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:20 pm
To be fair theres no good way to get from the Peaks to past the M62 offroad"

The PBW after Glossop goes past Mossley, then Uppermill, Diggle, and some good riding as far as Hollingworth Lake, and beyond that too. Then it joins the MTL past Summit, Stoodley Pike, Widdop, and the excellent riding over Extwistle Moor. :-bd
I believe it's a bit tedious from Wycoller to Long Preston, but then some great riding taking in part of the Settle Loop etc.

(still on with my phase of quality riding as Priority No. 1 - .... (and avoiding roads... :mrgreen: )
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I'd say the tedious bit of the PBW is really from just after the descent off Weets Top (near Barnoldswick) to Long Preston. It's not so much tedious as serpentine with odd little loops to avoid a farm yard or some ruinous pile owned by lord muck.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Mariner wrote: I think farawayvisions has a route to Salisbury from deepest Dorset so in total you are close to doubling the overall distance.
Would that not just be a section of the Wessex Ridgeway? That route could possibly go on the list as an ITT though.
https://www.ldwa.org.uk/ldp/members/sho ... x+Ridgeway

Ian worth asking Charlie for his Dorset Gravel Dash route? (about 100 miles in memory serves)
cycleofaddiction

ericrobo wrote:Chew:
Have to disagree on that.

"by Chew » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:20 pm
To be fair theres no good way to get from the Peaks to past the M62 offroad"

The PBW after Glossop goes past Mossley, then Uppermill, Diggle, and some good riding as far as Hollingworth Lake, and beyond that too. Then it joins the MTL past Summit, Stoodley Pike, Widdop, and the excellent riding over Extwistle Moor. :-bd
I believe it's a bit tedious from Wycoller to Long Preston, but then some great riding taking in part of the Settle Loop etc.

(still on with my phase of quality riding as Priority No. 1 - .... (and avoiding roads... :mrgreen: )
I think Chew was referring to the EWE part of the route I was proposing not the PB? I still think there's scope for a loop around the Pennines though?