When you're not sure if it's a spoof....

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ScotRoutes

Re: When you're not sure if it's a spoof....

Post by ScotRoutes »

Should we start a crowd-fund for bleeper batteries?
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

metalheart wrote:Mavis Grind C-to C is a bitch though....m :wink:
Wow! That's quite an undertaking. What's the ITT record?
Were you accompanied by otters, by any chance? Or carrying a viking longboat?
I believe some London hipsters may be attempting it, 'unsupported'. Can't wait for the film... :wink:
May you always have tail wind.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Dave Barter wrote:
Bearbonesnorm wrote:I quite like the idea of 'b' and I have a longstanding idea resurfacing :wink:
Can I be in it?
Me too, although i can't grow a beard because if i try i end up with a rash on my face cause i'm allergic to my cat..

Although i initially thought i was taking part in idle chit-chat, I now feel that i need to clarify that i have nothing at all against Shoreditch hipsters or any other type! In fact i used to live there myself (next to Spitalfield market to be exact) & had a few hipster friends in the area. One even has a handlebar moustache & a fat bike!

But what that vid is really crying out for is a Stooge with a Lauf fork.. :wink:

:-bd
Last edited by Wotsits on Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

Does your cat try and nest in your beard?
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

adjustablewench wrote:Does your cat try and nest in your beard?
Cats don't nest, well not in the hirsute sense....
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Stu does that idea involve and said island and a reservoir by any chance coz if it does I'm still up for it. It's been on the back burner for ages now although it maybe the wrong time of yr now but would make for a great movie clip if we could film it :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Can I be in it?
Course you can Dave, it'll need a glamour element.
Stu does that idea involve and said island and a reservoir by any chance coz if it does I'm still up for it.
No, I think we'll have to save that for next summer :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Wotsits wrote:
Dave Barter wrote:
Bearbonesnorm wrote:I quite like the idea of 'b' and I have a longstanding idea resurfacing :wink:
Can I be in it?
Me too, although i can't grow a beard
If you require a token beard present (although I'm so hip, I just don't dare)...postcards to Scattamah, Nowhere, Salop.

Points to those that spot the music references.

Greetz

S.
vorlich

Post by vorlich »

Why does everything have to be a test of physical strength and mental fortitude. Are we not happy unless folk are grimacing through howling wind and rain and sleeping in ditches? THEY EVEN STOPPED TO SLEEP, THE SHAME OF IT! :roll:

There is certainly an element, not just on here, but in outdoor pursuits in particular who love to look down on folk doing their own thing, 'Hiking their own hike' or whatever. Personally I thought it looked like a very enjoyable ride. Fantastic scenery and good weather.

As far as annoying hipsters go, these folk barely register.

Agree about the fire though.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

With a few weeks notice I can be the bearded interest. Saturday is, after all, the last day of BST (British Shaving Time).
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

At least they are riding their bikes and not driving around in Chelsea tractors. Heck, they even got the train to Lairg which is more than I would have done.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Well this is all much nicer isn't it :cool: I saw this and thought of the thread:

Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Can I be in it?
Course you can Dave, it'll need a glamour element.
You've not seen me naked
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

vorlich wrote:Why does everything have to be a test of physical strength and mental fortitude. Are we not happy unless folk are grimacing through howling wind and rain and sleeping in ditches? THEY EVEN STOPPED TO SLEEP, THE SHAME OF IT! :roll:

There is certainly an element, not just on here, but in outdoor pursuits in particular who love to look down on folk doing their own thing, 'Hiking their own hike' or whatever. Personally I thought it looked like a very enjoyable ride. Fantastic scenery and good weather.

As far as annoying hipsters go, these folk barely register.

Agree about the fire though.
Agreed. I love reading folks tales of daring do.... Gunthers Australian adventure ("500km... might be able to do that in a day" :shock: :shock: ) and his Arizona Trail report has kept me entertained at work this week ;) ) but this bears no relationship to what me and my bikepacking mates get up to. We usually ride to a pub and get sh1tfaced, , that's certainly the plan this coming weekend :) No massive distances, or climbing, but we're out there exploring the area and having a laugh.
Overtime we'll venture further afield .... and we do on occasion .... we made it to Bearstock and back :)
Each to their own :)
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Hipster Insight: http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... f=7&t=8731

Watching this has helped me work out what I think was bothering me about this video. That search for "authenticity" is danger of making some folks lives and culture look twee and backwards. Can't blame the hipsters, it's been a feature of first world tourism since at least the Victorians.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

I enjoyed watching this slickly produced promotional film, which has certainly achieved its aim of widespread viewing through forums such as this, generating interest for the people and companies supporting the venture. The deliberate inclusion of stereotypical 'Hipster artefacts' will appeal to some (focussed on the aesthetic/product aspects of this lifestyle), and irritate others, but it all gets us watching and discussing this film. They're not just pretty beards...!

Best of luck to them. I would be very happy to make a living from being creative, if I had any talent, although I don't envy the urban environment that many of these guys dwell in. No wonder they want to get out into the wild for a little adventure and respite from the MacBook and cafes.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

John the Ferryman is legend. Must be 75 odd years old. His dad was a shepherd - didnt retire until 92. His Grandmother lived on Harris until she was 106 I think. Have met him a couple of times, each one a laugh. Its his own business so he is a bit of a law unto himself but why not! Hope he is still doing it in 15 years time!

Not seen this thread until now - nice little film that made me smile. Must stay at that Bothy next time I go over there though!
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

BTW...anyone got the Ferry across and ridden back down the coast please?
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

wriggles wrote:BTW...anyone got the Ferry across and ridden back down the coast please?
There would be a fair carry until you got to sandwood bay. It's fine from there though.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

There would be a fair carry until you got to sandwood bay. It's fine from there though.
Cheers. No tracks at all through there? I have often wondered
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Don't even think about crossing the Parbh by bike. It's trackless heatheriness between the road to Cape Wrath and Sandwood Bay.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Some guys found a map and it inspired them to go on an adventure that took them out of their comfort zone. They met some interesting people, who will have lead a very different life to themselves.

Dont see why people seem to find the need to look down at others who may lead a different existence to themselves.

Makes me think of this:
https://youtu.be/4VxkltwS9g0
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Chew wrote:Dont see why people seem to find the need to look down at others who may lead a different existence to themselves.
Which, I think, is the way the riders came across to me.
Chew

Post by Chew »

That would make you both as bad as each other then :wink:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Possibly :oops: