Have I gone too hot?? Sleeping bag question

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mbnut

Have I gone too hot?? Sleeping bag question

Post by Mbnut »

Hi all

A brief history.... keen mountain biker and an ex hiker/backpacker/wild camper, that having been decades ago! Can't walk down hill now due to dodgy knees.

I bought a bunch of bike packing stuff off a fella over on Singletrackworld, bar bag, saddle bag, frame bag, mat and tent. I have since got a very good deal on a stove thingy.

While the tent is ok I am really after a bivi bag and tarp, hopefully that might be being sorted via the classifieds on here.

So having gone secondhand and got together a bit of kit for sensible money I thought i'd splash out on a sleeping bag.

The Enlightened Revelation came to my attention and in a moment of madness I hit the button.... I have ordered the version that is good to -1 degree.

My feeling now is I may have gone a bit too far and that something good to between +5 to +10 may have been better.

I guess the question is will I boil myself alive???

Either way I can't wait for it to arrive, can't wait to get out there!! Though I am getting brain ache trying to get this bag thing strapped to the bars... perseverance will no doubt prevail.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Have I gone too hot?? Sleeping bag question

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

In my opinion, you've made a wise choice. A quilt is easily vented should you get too hot and -1 should be useful all year round, not just for the weekend we call summer :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I have that quilt too. But also some other sleeping options.

I sleep cold, especially after long hard days so am glad of the warmth. The advantage with a quilt though is that you can vent it in various ways to help sleep cooler.

If I could only have one quilt/sleeping bag it would be that one though. It's adaptable enough to use all year round, although winter may need a bit if something extra. The down and sewing quality are up there with anything else I've ever seen or used. Plus the treated down makes a massive difference in not wetting out and losing its lofting qualities. Much less likely to wake up with cold spots in your bivy early hours.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I'm a cold sleeper and have the -6 version. It's brilliant.
Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

Cheers all.

Sounds like the hours of reading up I did have paid off then, good to know it is a tried and tested product.

I am a reasonably warm sleeper so hopefully I have gauged it about right, I just want it to arrive now, ordered on the 28th Sept so a waiting game. Fingers crossed it arrives in time for the December night out.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I keep looking at the Enlightened site, like The Waco Kid my hand starts to shake as it reaches for the gun/card :lol:

I have a Cumulus 150 quilt (like quite a few on here) and on Saturday night after the BB200 it was more than adequate even though I was using it with a Klymit X-Frame which doesn't have the greatest insulation rating in the world - its R-value is probably about 1.01 - and is really meant to be used with a sleeping bag rather than quilt. Like Ian I get cold quite readily after long periods of exercise - I dossed down and I was chilled but soon warmed up and actually woke up warm.

It's really worth having a good quality sleeping mat like the Exped Downmat/Synmat series or the NeoAir
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

sleeping bags ratings are only really a guide, and a bad one at that.

how warm one feels are based on many factors unrelated to the air temperature .....are you wet and cold, are you well fed, are you stressed, etc etc

what is fine for one person may be too cold or hot for another.

better to be slightly too warm that too cold.

a good sleeping mat will make a big difference, we loose a lot of heat via conduction into the cold ground. Reducing that conductive heat loss will make a huge difference to your comfort; as, after all your body has to replace this conductive heat loss.

in my autumn bag I have wild camped on kinder at -3C and been cold, whereas in Iceland at -6C I was fine. Bag is rated to -1C IIRC.
after the -3C incident I decided to buy a proper sleeping bag for this winter .....-10C comfort :lol: If I'm cold in that I should give up and stay home