HT550 - 2017

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Re: HT550 - 2017

Post by Richard G »

Looks like Javier and Steve (Large) might be riding together. Both top blokes. :-bd
Wildcat

Post by Wildcat »

Borderer wrote:He must be asleep, scratched, or as you say, the tracker isn't working. Hopefully its the latter.
Might be using a Gen 2 tracker that stops tracking after 24 hours without being reset. The time of last update would be consistent with yesterday's start time.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

A series of shitness, was ill the day before, heat stroke maybe, plus some nerves. Didn't sleep well. Turned on Garmin at T minus 10 minutes, and the touchscreen was broken. Switched to spare, but that made me nervous. Then after first step climb after bridge of balgie, knee hurt a lot, had to slow down. Got to Fort A late, with very negative mindset, worried about knee. Rode the return loop back, camped on the canal about 5 miles from Fort William, then rode all the route to devil's staircase, after that A road back to here. Knee is really sore after the big push up from Konlochleven, glad I didn't carry on now. Such amazing riding up here though, will be back.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Richpips wrote: Rich Rothwell looks as if he may be tracking back to Square Wheels.
It's not clear that he subsequently picked up the route. Did he go the wrong side of Loch Garve?
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Bad luck Gabes.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Bad luck gabes. I know that negative feeling well. You'll bounce back mate.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Wildcat wrote:
Borderer wrote:He must be asleep, scratched, or as you say, the tracker isn't working. Hopefully its the latter.
Might be using a Gen 2 tracker that stops tracking after 24 hours without being reset. The time of last update would be consistent with yesterday's start time.
He's back - and still with Beltchenko. :-bd
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

:shock: I have to pick up Rich and the returning hero in a bit. Can they hit the pause button while I dash to the station?
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Careful, they'll probably have finished before you even get there. :lol:
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Chris will push NB all the way, or expire trying. I'd back him to pull away through Fisherfield.
Let's hope they're both concentrating on the nav on the road into Lochinver.......
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Shona and Rich have scratched.

A crash, helmet smashed saving a head and a knackered seat post have scuppered their plans.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Yeah, someone said that in here a couple of pages back.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Borderer wrote:Yeah, someone said that in here a couple of pages back.
Sorry, I flicked back a single page and didn't see anything. :oops:
Ian

Post by Ian »

boxelder wrote:Chris will push NB all the way, or expire trying. I'd back him to pull away through Fisherfield.
Let's hope they're both concentrating on the nav on the road into Lochinver.......
Chris's Lakes experience will surely help him on that sort of terrain. But then Neil is well used to technical stuff too - could go either way.

PA has held his 15 mile deficit all day, so it's that game of who sleeps least.

I still can't figure out what they're fuelling themselves with. They've hardly stopped, or have past resupply options when they're closed.
Ian

Post by Ian »

JohnClimber wrote:
Borderer wrote:Yeah, someone said that in here a couple of pages back.
Sorry, I flicked back a single page and didn't see anything. :oops:
I know the pace is fast this year, John, but do try and keep up ;)
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

This is both fantastic and unbelievable at the same time. Fifteen miles separating 1st to 3rd and less than ten miles separating 4th to 13th.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Ian wrote:
boxelder wrote:Chris will push NB all the way, or expire trying. I'd back him to pull away through Fisherfield.
Chris's Lakes experience will surely help him on that sort of terrain. But then Neil is well used to technical stuff too - could go either way.

PA has held his 15 mile deficit all day, so it's that game of who sleeps least.

I still can't figure out what they're fuelling themselves with. They've hardly stopped, or have past resupply options when they're closed.
I think he is 12 miles down. On his website Beltchenko says he keeps going by eating gummy worms and drinking red bull.
psling

Post by psling »

Ian wrote:
When I looked in earlier Neil (and presumably Chris before he re-appeared) were stopped for the best part of an hour at Drumbeg Stores, so they've stopped at least once so far!
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

ScotRoutes wrote:
Alpinum wrote:
ScotRoutes wrote:Site/track works just after Laggan Wolftrax.

http://www.strathspey-herald.co.uk/News ... 052017.htm

The track that leaves the road and heads towards the Corrieyairack will be impacted, though actual works should be complete by the time the race goes through.
What race?
Good try! :lol:
Okay. It is a race.

Last year midfield things were sociable, some of us must have been at Oykel Bridge (first time through) for over an hour.
Very different this time.
Ian

Post by Ian »

psling wrote:
Ian wrote:
When I looked in earlier Neil (and presumably Chris before he re-appeared) were stopped for the best part of an hour at Drumbeg Stores, so they've stopped at least once so far!
Thanks, I've not had the chance to study things in detail, what with moving house an' all... :???:

For some reason NB isn't showing up on the bluedot.mobi site. Anyone else got this issue?
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

No pies for Neil. Drumbeg clearly had some Gummy worms and Red Bull....
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Scattamah wrote:Like anything that uses satellite, SPOT requires line of sight to operate 100%. If the unit is not face up, or you're going through forested areas, transmission can be patchy. Hence the reason you'll often see people with their tracker affixed to the top of a saddle pack or on the handlebars. Mine currently lives in the front pouch of my Ortlieb waist pack. Nothing to obstruct it's line of sight and whilst it's not horizontal, I'm usually leant over far enough it's pointing somewhat upwards and can find a sat.

Greetz

S.
Wow!
Didn't realise the SPOT was so flaky.
My Garmin inReach lives in a padded pouch, inside a dry bag, and in my camelbak.
Or when hiking, inside my pocket.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

mountainbaker wrote:A series of shitness, was ill the day before, heat stroke maybe, plus some nerves. Didn't sleep well. Turned on Garmin at T minus 10 minutes, and the touchscreen was broken. Switched to spare, but that made me nervous. Then after first step climb after bridge of balgie, knee hurt a lot, had to slow down. Got to Fort A late, with very negative mindset, worried about knee. Rode the return loop back, camped on the canal about 5 miles from Fort William, then rode all the route to devil's staircase, after that A road back to here. Knee is really sore after the big push up from Konlochleven, glad I didn't carry on now. Such amazing riding up here though, will be back.
Sensible to quit if a potential injury.
The hills will still be there.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

psling wrote:
Ian wrote:
I think it's worth carrying 5000 - 10000 kcal (dense food). Stuff you know goes down well - always, stuff you like.
It's only 1-3 kg more weight and I think we can agree that HT550 hasn't that much climbing, so it's not felt too bad.
Well, at least that's what I did and after being (too?) social I upped my pace later on. To have some of 'my' food with me surely helped jump the field by about 8 - 10 positions. It just happened, because I was independent from shops.
Bearbonesnorm wrote:Fast approaching half way in 28 hours :shock:

Anyone care to guess at a finish time? :wink:
Surely sub 4 d.
I'll go for 3 d 17 h 30 min.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Just astounded how fast this is going this year - any idea what the weather is like so far ... and what's to come

Fraser and Steve are having a good ride so far in 5th and 6th. Just about to go past Kylesku
2924 miles per Gallon