Tubeless advice

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rocklobstercat

Tubeless advice

Post by rocklobstercat »

I've bought some Continental Race King 29er Protection tyres for my Crest Ztr's. I've followed all the usual instructions about mounting the tyre using soapy water, Stans sealant and shaking the tyres leaving them over night etc. For some reason the tyres are losing air around the bead and I can see sealant leaking out slightly. Has anyone got any advice about getting them to seal properly? Thanks.
benp1

Re: Tubeless advice

Post by benp1 »

I thought these were known as being tricky to tubeless...

Maybe try whacking some tubes in to get the tyres into the right shape? Then after a couple of days try to retubeless
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

Just did the same myself last week, as chain reaction were selling conti's cheap. After two morning of finding tyres deflated I put the bead back on as one side popped back to the middle. Deflated, added 30ml of stans( 90 + 30extra) blew up to 45psi, and went for a ride. About 12km mixed terrain. Left it overnight and was fine in the morning. Deflated to correct pressures.

Think riding for a bit is the best thing rather than doing the 'stans shake' as some you tube videos call it.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

On the fat bike I have found they leak for about 40kms of riding and then they are fine. Pump them up and take them out for a good ride.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Mine leaked for a couple of days then settled down. If you think you may have lost too much sealant remove the valve core and top up with a syringe.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Questions.....

Where they a tight fit to get onto the rim and did they inflate with a nice pop?

Are they going holding initial pressure, but very slowly losing air?

If it's yes to both of the above then they'll be fine. Just ride them and keep topping them up with air and sealant and they'll seal in their own time.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

From another thread:
Alpinum wrote:
Mike wrote:Hmmm conti xkings!

I bought some on offer few weeks ago,i can't get them to hold air at all anyone else having this problem they are tubeless ready too but running them on hope enduro rims
I toss in about 40 mL (rough estimation from fill level of bottle), sway the tyre around a bit, then distribute the liquid with an old washing up brush. Mount it completely on one side and nearly completely on the other. Put in another 20 mL. Pop tyre onto rim. Pump. Shake. Spin. See if it's enough. If not add another 20 mL. If still not enough. Swear and kick something :wink:

Contis as of 2016 have so far held air much better than the pre2016 ones. Never needed more than 60 mL.

Different story with the older ones. Mostly at about 80 mL and still loose about 0.15 bar/24 h.

This is all with Conti Protection side walls.

Racesport may have the same rubber, but those side walls are thin as f*ck and easily run down after 500-1000 km offroad and apparently kr-happy to setup TL.
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

Quick hijack. If people where setting up 29X 2.2 tyres how much stans would you use?

I would usually add 90ml, see if I lost a bit add a bit more say 20 to 30ml if its all over the sides after the first ride. And after a week take the wheel off give it a shake and try and hear if there is liquid inside.

Cheers.
rocklobstercat

Post by rocklobstercat »

Yes mine mounted fine with a loud pop and I've ridden them lists but are still losing air around the bead. Maybe I should add more sealant and wait until they deal. I was thinking of going back to tubes which defeats the objective.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

My process is:

Unfold tyre at least the previous day and let the tyre get close to its intended shape
Apply a soap solution to the beads
Use track pump to inflate to indicated maximum psi
If track pump isn't enough, remove valve core and use ghetto compressor then replace valve core.
Once seated inflate again to max psi
Leave an hour or so
Remove core and use syringe to add sealant then replace core and inflate to desired pressure.
Ride for a few Km
Leave overnight and check pressure, add more sealant if necessary.

For 29er 2.2 to 2.35 tyres I'd be looking at 70ml to begin with then see what happens over the following day or two.

I've found that you only get the sloshing sound of sealant after you've left the tyres standing for a while and the excess drains off the tyre calls.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Yorlin

Post by Yorlin »

What happens if you use too much sealant?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Yorlin wrote:What happens if you use too much sealant?
You waste a bit of money :roll: so long as you aren't using a litre of the stuff rather than 80ml then it's not a problem.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Yorlin wrote:What happens if you use too much sealant?
Stanimals.