Tarpologists - what do I need?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

metalheart

Tarpologists - what do I need?

Post by metalheart »

Ok, just imagine that I'm a complete numpty and haven't a clue what I'm doing.

I have a bicycle 7, some random guylines, pegs plus a paracord ridgeline which I bought 7 or 8 years ago but never quite got around to using.

What do I need to make this proper workable?

I'm assuming that you kind of need poles. What size(s)? I'm 'robust gentleman' if you see what I mean :oops:

Intended use is bivying in the Cairngorms.
Give the dirt a little room.
metalheart

Re: Tarpologists - what do I need?

Post by metalheart »

Sorry, just 'subscribing' to thread.... Bloody noobs!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Go to the "Reviews" part of this site and search for "Rig7", there's a couple of articles written by a nice chap called Stu.

We use two poles @120cm & 100cm with ours. I made them up from some old tent poles I had lying around (as you do) but that nice Mr Stu also happens to sell pole sets for tarps :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Depends how versitile you want things to be. A pair of poles (1m - 1.2m would be great) plus some decent lines that won't absorb water or stretch are all that's required besides some pegs.

Armed with those, you can erect any number of different styles of shelter. Forget the ridgeline as it limits you to an 'A frame' set-up and very little else and remember that a tarp should be pitched taught with each panel being pulled equally in more than one direction.
May the bridges you burn light your way
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Yeah, I know Stu sells poles. I was hoping for some pointers referenced to the shop would be helpful :-)

Also I've none of them toggle things to tension so will be throwing in a set of them.

I'll check out that review section though as you seem to think it might help... :oops:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'll check out that review section though as you seem to think it might help...
http://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.co ... art-1.html

http://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.co ... art-2.html
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I don't bother with the toggles to tension using a Midshipman's Hitch http://www.netknots.com/rope_knots/midshipmans-hitch instead. Depends how "nerdy" and Ray Mears like you want to be :roll:
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Had a chance to check out the links , thanks for that. Much appreciated.

What's the main differences between carbon and DAC, other than (obviously) cost?

And what's best, a 120cm and a 100cm?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What's the main differences between carbon and DAC, other than (obviously) cost?
Carbon's stiffer and lighter. It can also be used to produce shorter folded pole lengths with no additional cost, should you want to keep it in a small frame bag or whatever ... if you go the carbon route, you can pretty much have anything you like.
And what's best, a 120cm and a 100cm?
Depends what you're hoping to do. Different length poles will make a 'lean to' more awkward, whereas two the same length allow you to erect anything ... but you might never want to set up a 'lean to'.
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Most economic length is 100cm (for the carbon), are a couple these going to cover most things?

Probably opt for the 2 pole mid tarp configuration...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Most economic length is 100cm (for the carbon), are a couple these going to cover most things?

Probably opt for the 2 pole mid tarp configuration...
Yeah, they'll work fine although they'll produce something a little lower than what's shown in the pictures but not by much.
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Thanks, will get this ordered up when I get the chance/time.p
giryan

Post by giryan »

I got some of these, https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KNOGN6I which I use on the guys to make it simpler to move them round. atm, I basically have no idea what I'm doing and moving them happens as I realise I've put the wrong ones in the right places ;)
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

This *might* be of use:

http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... nes#p83813

Bit :ugeek: at times and I say that as one of the posters :wink:
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Picked up my poles and guy line stuff from the PO this morning. Nice and prompt from Stu.

Excuses now running out. Just need for it to be dry enough to cut the grass and I can get tarping :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Excuses now running out. Just need for it to be dry enough to cut the grass and I can get tarping
Plenty of practice and experimentation in the comfort of the garden ... just the ticket :-bd
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Absolutely, that's my intention. :-bd

Nothing worse than having to do it for the first time in the gloom and pishing rain (this is Scotland after all).
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Holy thread reserection batman... But I finally got around to trying to bicycle up my tarp:

ImageAlternate by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr

Image'Classic' A-frame by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr

Am I gonna die tomorrow? Rate my tarp....
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not bad ... however, play about with the angle of the pegs. In the bottom picture, you should find that if you reposition the peg (nearest front corner as you look at the pic) you'll lose that nasty crease / sag. Remember, you're trying to pull the material equally in at least 2 directions :wink:
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

You should've seen the other side! I was having 'fun' with my knots (pitching hitch?)

I was planning on using the first one (with the external pole) as assuming it'd give me a bit more protection. Went up easier than I was expecting tbh. Detached all the surplus guylines now... I'll chuck them in the bags though...
Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

Great thread, I am in the process of buying all the 'extra' bits, guys, pegs poles etc.

I have a couple of questions.

What do you bang your pegs in with? Seems like it would be somewhat counter productive to carry a mallet!! I am guessing you just push them in or get good at using your foot.

Secondly, once I add up the cost of tarp, poles, pegs, guys, bivi bag and goundsheet it comes out at a heavy price, not far off good tent money. Adding up the weight of all of these bits it comes to about the same weight as a good tent too....

This begs the question, would I be better of with a tent and just unzip the outer door to get a view?

Looking forward to hearing how the trip went Metalheart.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Pegs: use a handy rock if there is one, sole of shoe otherwise.

Tent vs tarp: the main advantage of tarps is their versatility. A tent has to be erected in the manner that the manufacturer designed it to be. A tarp can be adapted to pretty well any situation. Having said that, there are times when a tent makes more sense such as high midge season :o

I've never bothered with a groundsheet when using a tarp. The poles are recycled from an old tent. I don't use a bivy bag in summer so the kit weight using something like the Alpkit Rig3.5 is under 500g between two of us. I've a Terra Nova Lasercomp ultra-lightweight tent which weighs 900g and sleeps two close friends :wink: There aren't many tents that weigh less and they cost silly money - for example the Z-packs Hexamid tent costs $475, I think IanFitz has one so he'll be able to sing its praises. The Lasercomp is pretty bulky though, considerably more than even the larger Rig7 tarp that we also have.

There's no "one right way" to approach this, different people have different requirements, they may even have different requirements for different situations. Use what suits you best for each situation.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

RE putting pegs in ... don't go banging pegs in with a rock. It'll bend / damage great bit steel pegs, so imagine what it'll do to your expensive, lightweight pegs.
Also, using a foot to push them in loosens the ground around the peg making it much more likely that the peg will pull out in high winds, etc. If you can't get a peg in by hand, move your pitch.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Mbnut wrote:Great thread, I am in the process of buying all the 'extra' bits, guys, pegs poles etc.

I have a couple of questions.

What do you bang your pegs in with? Seems like it would be somewhat counter productive to carry a mallet!! I am guessing you just push them in or get good at using your foot.

Secondly, once I add up the cost of tarp, poles, pegs, guys, bivi bag and goundsheet it comes out at a heavy price, not far off good tent money. Adding up the weight of all of these bits it comes to about the same weight as a good tent too....

This begs the question, would I be better of with a tent and just unzip the outer door to get a view?
Mostly covered already, but don't get hung up on the weight/cost thing. Consider tarp and tent as two different things that sometimes overlap. For me, the tarp/bivvy is about the experience of being outdoors and the flexibility of "pitch". I've used the bivvy in doorways, under rocks etc - - places where a tent would be impractical. Alternatively, I prefer a tent sometimes when the weather is more inclement/cold and there's a higher midge quotient.

I've yet to invest in a pole or a groundsheet for the tarp. I usually bicycle up something using the bike or a handy tree as a support for any "roof". My bivvy is an Event RAB one so it's waterproof so I'm less fussed about the tarp trying to cover me.I usually go for a flying-vee pitch which gives me a great view of my surroundings.

Pegging - well, it just depends. Often there's no choice of pitch and you just have to make do where you are. That might involve the use of a rock or a boot. I've even used the bike as an "upwind" pegging point when the soil has been thin/sandy and it's been windy.
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

I didn't die....

ImageThe tarp rigged in 'anger' by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr

But I did have to 'tighten' it up a bit when I got up for early morning pee.

Could be material just stretching in use or the pegs moving in the wet peaty soil. Or just crap rigging.... :lol:

Thanks to all who gave me advice, it is appreciated :-bd