Tour Divide Musings

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Re: Tour Divide Musings

Post by whitestone »

mountainbaker wrote:
GregMay wrote: Nowt, always do my best to allow the plums some freedom at night.
This saved my gonads on the divide. Otherwise, I hate to imagine what they'd be like by the end.
Prunes (shrivelled) :lol: :roll:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
benp1

Post by benp1 »

GregMay wrote:People wear things down there at night?

Nowt, always do my best to allow the plums some freedom at night.
RAB Neutrino 200 -no issues bar my smell that infected it
I know I snipped out the 3 weeks bit at the end. I wear something to protect the bag, usually something long to encapsulate the mud/muck but struggle with this when it's hot!
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

mountainbaker wrote:
GregMay wrote: Nowt, always do my best to allow the plums some freedom at night.
This saved my gonads on the divide. Otherwise, I hate to imagine what they'd be like by the end.
Finisterre merino boxers or long John's depending on temp or when splitting a motel room. Shorts turned pad side out to try and dry after use/baby wipe refresh.

Crikey, how much Brevet shorts are eye wateringly expensive but oh so comfy and the perforated pad does dry very quickly if washed.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

benp1 wrote:
GregMay wrote:People wear things down there at night?

Nowt, always do my best to allow the plums some freedom at night.
RAB Neutrino 200 -no issues bar my smell that infected it
I know I snipped out the 3 weeks bit at the end. I wear something to protect the bag, usually something long to encapsulate the mud/muck but struggle with this when it's hot!
Extra weight, extra faff, extra thing to sort. Nah, just deal with the stench. It'll only take about 60 seconds until you're asleep anyway.

There is no insomnia on the Divide.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

johnnystorm wrote: Finisterre merino boxers or long John's depending on temp or when splitting a motel room.
Ppfff I just used the "I'm European, deal with it" excuse.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

GregMay wrote:It'll only take about 60 seconds until you're asleep anyway.

Ha, I bet I'd still manage to feck up my sleep somehow.
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

Looking at these threads, there's been lots said on both the kit and the physical aspect of the race; not so much on the mental aspect. We've all done rides or races when everything's turning to sub standard, but we carry on. For whatever reason.
That's ok on a 1 day ride, we can see the end. It's ok on a normal tour, it's no big issue to stop for a day to reset things.
On an event like the TD, 2 weeks for best. 3 weeks for the bloody good. What do you draw on to carry on if you have a problem/mechanical/crash/whatever? Quitting is not the option you take. It's a hell of a long time to maintain that level of focus, which in itself is wearing.
Sorry, rambling a bit, but I hope you get what I'm trying to ask.
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Pickers wrote:What do you draw on to carry on if you have a problem/mechanical/crash/whatever?
I found your question ;) Firstly, these are very much my own opinions (as ever, many will differ)

For me, on the several times i debated scratching before my mechanical - and there were several - the main driving force of not quitting was generally one of reluctant acceptance that i'd chosen to be here and put myself through this. From day one I'd accepted the old wisdom of "no scratching before 21 days have passed" and I had chosen that as a base rule from which to work from. I also knew that a lot of people were watching, people I both respect, and those I don't who would enjoy me failing.

In short stubbornness and peer pressure.

Why I didn't scratch after my mechanical - or why I walked 40km past a few drivers camped out drinking beer who could have given me a lift down the mountain the next day - again, I'm a stubborn bastard and also reasonably shy for asking for help. From that point on, things sort of aligned that I would have felt guilty for pulling the plug.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Richard G wrote:
GregMay wrote:It'll only take about 60 seconds until you're asleep anyway.

Ha, I bet I'd still manage to feck up my sleep somehow.
I got woken up by animal calls, things rustling around the tent and something obviously going through the bike bags. I just went straight back to sleep. On numerous occasions.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

GregMay wrote:
johnnystorm wrote: Finisterre merino boxers or long John's depending on temp or when splitting a motel room.
That only worked for a few days until #brexit. :wink:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

johnnystorm wrote:
GregMay wrote:
That only worked for a few days until #brexit. :wink:

*waves Irish passport*

I can escape this hell!
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

I had insomnia on the divide! I'm a terrible sleeper anyway though. I'd on average get 3 hours less sleep than the chaps I was riding with. On this knowledge alone, I think I could shave a couple of days off if I rode alone, next time.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Sorry, rambling a bit, but I hope you get what I'm trying to ask.
This is the bit that interests me about long rides and races. 'How deep can you go' sort of questions. Motivation and reasons why are everything when it gets really hard. Just comes down to why you're there and how that stands up to the pressure I think. eg I doubt I could have the same reasons to do the TD twice and aiming at going a couple of days faster may not get me through in the way it would for others. Totally respect others that do simply want to push what they can do though, not meant as a swipe. Simply that new terrain and the not-knowing is a big part of what I like in a challenge.

Interested to hear what others think about the motivation side of it, not just the TD, anything that gets you to that heads-falling-off tired point.
atk

Post by atk »

Probably more important than any gear you were carrying... did you stop in Pie Town in the end? Did you get pie?!?!
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

benp1 wrote:
GregMay wrote:There is no insomnia on the Divide.
I recall getting into the pit and being out within 60 seconds every night without fail...both trips.

Mentally...in 2014 it was a case of just get it done, even though the left knee was buggered. Took scratching after mechanical/a couple of days off before turning to touring before the knee got better. That year it was "can I do it?". In 2015, if I'd just had one knee go, I'd have known I was good to continue and it would come good. Next to impossible when both knees crap out though. That was my "go as fast as I can" roll of the dice. Note to self: KT tape...don't leave home without it.

Fingers crossed 3rd time will be the charm, whenever that may be.

Greetz

S.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

atk wrote:Probably more important than any gear you were carrying... did you stop in Pie Town in the end? Did you get pie?!?!
The salsa top cap got me two slices of pie which I upgraded with ice cream. Pie Town café was great.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Pie Town was closed when I rolled through.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

GregMay wrote:Pie Town was closed when I rolled through.
Same here, I had 3 beers* at the toaster house and a microwave pizza at some store up the road.

* this was my main fluid strategy, quite the opposite of yours I think
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Nina no longer does beer sadly - she had some...issues last year apparently. I had a few Cokes and some pasta thing and a few burritos. Wished I could have stayed and chatted with her longer.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

GregMay wrote:Nina no longer does beer sadly - she had some...issues last year apparently. I had a few Cokes and some pasta thing and a few burritos. Wished I could have stayed and chatted with her longer.
Oh, shame, we didn't see her, there was only a rider there when we arrived. Mark Caminiti. Funny chap, he filled his 3 L camelbak with cokes from the fridge at the toaster house! Did she say what the issues were?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Do any of you do any post ride stretches etc. at the end of each days riding?

When I go for a run, even for just 30 mins, I always do my set of stretches, I don't know if they do any good but it's just habit now. But when I go for a ride, even what I would call a big ride, 60 miles with 6000 ft climbing and mainly off road, (which would be just the bit before breakfast for a TD rider :smile: ) I never do any stretches or exercises after. I usually just eat everything I can find at home that doesn't require any cooking and then relax.

Very rarely do I ride 2 days in a row due to other commitments, so having tired legs the next day at work is not an issue, but how do you cope with riding again the next day? Is being fitter the answer? Or do you just ride through it first thing and then get on with it?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I've heard of these stretch things. Never experienced them...

I only really stretch my calves while I'm riding and, and fingers and forearms before climbing. Sorry!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

That's the best answer I could hear :smile: I've thought the stretches might not do anything but have just done them as I always have after runs. But I don't after rides and my legs don't seem to be any better/worse the next day than after a big run, so I can stop stretching.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

I do calves, quads and hamstring stretches. If I remember/am with it enough, will also do wrists/forearms...but usually forget those. Never had achillies issues on the longer stuff...just the knees playing up and once with Ian 'n Zippy I had nasty cramps, but sodium intake fixed that (OT).

Greetz

S.
jameso

Post by jameso »

I've thought the stretches might not do anything
Depends what / why. After a period of finger numbness post TD and a problematic 5 dayer the year after where I got really bad, longer-term nerve damage I found I suddenly valued stretching and maybe should have done more / any of it in my 30s. Tight hamstrings, knock-on effect on back posture and nerve pressure etc. Adds up slowly. Nothing major but a quick stretch of a certain type that works for me is now good preventative medicine. Age .. damnit
how do you cope with riding again the next day? Is being fitter the answer?
I expect your day-ride pace isn't TD type of ride pace, mine isn't/wasn't. I was told you can train for recovery by building efficiency and by riding daily even if it's not a lot of miles. I'm not sure whether there's any science behind that or it's a mental thing but I'd say you can do it. Basically the fitter you get the less each day weakens you. Also knowing your recovery tricks, the right food, stretches or leg rubs for at least feeling a bit better and the mental boost of that. Waiting for day 6 diesel legs or getting past the 4th day sleepiness, that kind of experience counts I think. The TD and similar rides seem to have defeated a few very fit, fast roadie types within the first week so it's about more than day-pace fitness, Matt Lee said that there's no point showing up in peak form as you'll only go downhill, better to find your legs on the route. Again, not sure how sound that is but I'll take his advise for big rides.