Gore Element Paclite jacket - any good?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Gore Element Paclite jacket - any good?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm considering treating myself to a new waterproof as my much loved Rab Demand smock is starting to struggle. A replacement needs to be lightweight, have a hood and actually waterproof. Anyone tried the Gore Element Paclite? ... I'm an eVent man really but could be swayed :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Re: Gore Element Paclite jacket - any good?

Post by RIP »

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/gor ... 0wods8AI4w

Blimey, half price, can see why you're tempted! Not sure we'd recognise you without your Demand on.

Montane Minimus Smock? Bit pricier & got an opinions-divided chest pocket.

But yeah, I'd hate to give up my Rab Demand :-(. Still got a Rab Drillium going strong(-ish) as well.

"Reg" and the eVent Appreciation Society
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Not used one of those but am impressed by my recently acquired Alpkit gravitas.

Seems to work well so far...

Is it the same paclite that a haglofs oz would be made out of? I have one of those too. Not so impressed by the breathability of that
Sussex Paul

Post by Sussex Paul »

I've got a Gore Alp X Packlight jacket, same material (I assume), but a more fitted cut. I'm really pleased with it, keeps the rain out, and pretty breathable.

I also have a Gore Element Windstopper gillet, the fit is slightly more boxy than the alp-x, but by no means flappy.
mtbmarkymark

Post by mtbmarkymark »

I bought an Rab demand smock, On balance the best I've found but I find the hood a bit big ( I wear it under the helmet ) and the outside access chest pocket lets water in.
I replaced it with a OMM Cypher smock, similar in that is made of event, inside pocket so can't let water in and smaller hood. lighter due to hood design
many of the images online show the pock on the outside but the later ones had it on the inside
I think it's been replaced but you may pick one up or check out it's replacment
Last edited by mtbmarkymark on Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Can these be used as a main waterproof (i.e. when you're heading out in totally sh*t weather)? I had mine fall off my bike somewhere between BB Towers and Rhyader and I need to buy a new one.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Can these be used as a main waterproof (i.e. when you're heading out in totally sh*t weather)?
I'd hope so, if I buy one it certainly will be.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I encountered a few folk on last years highland trail with paclites who reported the waterproofness failing albeit after a lot of rain. I've got a pair of paclite trousers which I got cheap - so far these have kept the rain out but not done a 15 hour stint in the rain to really prove them... (next week maybe) They aren't hugely breathable compared to normal 3 layer goretex. For cooler days I still haven't found anything to beat my paramo quito.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I've got a Musto goretex jacket made from one of the lighter fabrics. Perfectly fine at keeping rain out and and breathing but I put it over a chair once backing onto a radiator and the Teflon melted.

I've also been a twit and left a dry bag in the car that dropped me off in phoenix so I'm without my Montane trailblazer, dhb rain defence leg sleeves and goretex socks. Was looking to get one of the new alpkit offerings when I next pop up to the in-laws in the midlands.
Sussex Paul

Post by Sussex Paul »

My Alp-x Paclite is my main waterproof for biking, and I've worn it in some pretty horrible weather and it's been fine. In terms of waterproofness, I'd say it is on-par with my Rab Latok Alpine, which is 3-layer Event. The Rab feels like it might be a bit more durable.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

If I lived in Wales I'd be buying something heavier duty than paclite. I use the worlds lightest waterproof as my back up jacket (berghaus hypersmock 2) but it's way too light for everyday use

Of all my jackets, my berghaus 3 layer goretex is the toughest but I don't really wear it for biking much, a bit too heavy

Usually alternate between a montane jacket and a dhb jacket for biking use. If I was going to buy a jacket right now for outdoors and biking use I'd be getting a Berghaus Vapour Storm (although it's not new so there might be a newer/better version out now, Berghaus have just bought a new range out)
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

After really suffering in the storm on the second day of the Braunton 150 due to having a lightweight waterproof I bought myself a heavier duty one (Endura MT500 with hood http://www.dalesbikecentre.co.uk/collec ... ded-jacket). Of course since then we haven't had sufficiently cold wet windy weather to test it :roll: The MT500 is a bit too big to fit in to the back pocket of a typical cycling top but the heavier material means it doesn't push against your skin/inner clothing in the way that a lightweight "waterproof" top does.

I nearly got caught out on the YD300 when using a lightweight top - I passed through a nasty band of rain as I was beginning the descent to Grinton, just ten minutes of downhill so not producing any heat via pedalling etc and I was getting pretty cold. Fortunately the cafe at DBC was still open so could sit out the remainder of the rain there.

Over the years I've gone through a *lot* of jackets (at a guess I've half a dozen currently hanging on the coat rack by the back door) and have come to the conclusion that basically if I am somewhere sheltered or it's just summer showers then the lightweight ones will do otherwise I need something heavier duty. One option that I've not tried is to have two lightweight tops - even if the outer begins to fail then the inner would stop anything that gets through as it wouldn't have the wind forcing it in to and through the material. Have the inner made from breathable material such as paclite and the outer can be less breathable since any condensation forming between the two isn't going to affect your insulation layers.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I really want to buy a Gore Tex ALP-X 2.0, but they're stupid expensive.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's all very confusing ... I might just go back to my bin-liner and marigolds.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

ianfitz wrote:Not used one of those but am impressed by my recently acquired Alpkit gravitas.
I'm assuming that hood doesn't fit over a helmet / isn't removable?

Any particular reason you went for that one over the Balance?
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Richard G wrote:I really want to buy a Gore Tex ALP-X 2.0, but they're stupid expensive.
They are expensive but they are very good with a nice tailored fit, mine lasted about two years of good use and still looks good today but several attempts of rewaterproofing have never brought it back to the quality of new, perhaps I was expecting too much :wink:
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Richard G wrote:
ianfitz wrote:Not used one of those but am impressed by my recently acquired Alpkit gravitas.
I'm assuming that hood doesn't fit over a helmet / isn't removable?

Any particular reason you went for that one over the Balance?
The hood fits under a helmet pretty well. But isn't removable.

I went for this as a lightweight option. I have an active shell jacket from berghaus for wintery use
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Having also tried a few jackets over the years I'm also still waiting for 'The One'. Hagloffs Paclite smock was small and light but the fabric started to wear quickly when used with a small backpack. Also had a gore-tex pro-shell from Mountain Equipment delaminate, which they replaced. Rab also good at fixing problems with their stuff, but Gore UK people very disinterested in after sales when their stitching failed. Endura also not as robust as they would claim.

I'm not sure any of them breathe once saturated by heavy rain, and water eventually gets through them all, so perhaps a basic cheap vapour barrier would be best; warm and damp is probably as good as it gets!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:It's all very confusing ... I might just go back to my bin-liner and marigolds.
Funnily enough when I encountered Ricki Cotter and Javi on last years Highland Trail, they were both sporting bin bags over their jackets to keep the rain out :grin:
Laurensdad

Post by Laurensdad »

IMG-20160707-WA0006.jpg
(211.78 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
I've an Endura Mtr shell for lightweight in a jersey pocket / framebag and an MT500 for when it's proper raining from the get go. Both are breathable at 'tempo' type efforts and when pushing on a bit with the right layer(s) underneath. Got caught in a thunderstorm with hail at 2000m in the Sierra Nevada this week and the Mtr shell proved invaluable.
@philg1971 Instagram