What size Drybag is in your front harness?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Teetosugars

What size Drybag is in your front harness?

Post by Teetosugars »

And what do you pack in it?

Just after a few pointers- I use a sweetroll, but its as wide as my bars, so after something narrower but more compact?
Oh, and will now be used with Jones bars..
Show me your set ups please. :geek:
Bearbonesnorm

Re: What size Drybag is in your front harness?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Generally a 13l but in summer it might be 8l and in the very worst winter conditions, a 20l but that's very rare. Schnozzle bag goes in first and acts as a liner. Next up is quilt, jacket, hat, socks, pillow and mat in that order.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Wildcat lion that holds either a 5, 8 or 13 litre alpkit drybag depending on the time of year and level of comfort of the trip. I often use a lioness in front of that for food too. That all fits on jones bars on two different bikes and also squeezes in to 44cm standards drop bars too.

In there will be mat, quilt/bag, bivy/tarp/shelter, stove, jacket and hat
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Very similar to Stu and Ian (might be a theme starting here ...) Alpkit double ended dry bag with sleeping bag and/or quilt, sleeping mat (inflatable jobbie), bivy bag, schnozzle inflation bag, down vest. I like the Alpkit dry bag as it has loops I can thread the straps of the Wildcat Lion through so that it doesn't slip out - I once badly packed an Exped dry bag which decided to go its own way on one rough bit of trail :oops: Have a look on the Alpkit site to see what I mean about the loops.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

Alpkit dual 13l now, fits:
alpkit SH500 sleeping bag
Numo airmat
Running tights
Spare base layer
Spare bed socks
Inflatable pillow
Arm warmers
Merino skullcap

All with room to spare, just to make packing again easier and less of a squeeze. If I take less spare clothes I can roll down the ends more to make it fit 42cm drop bars.

I can fit a winter setup into a 10l karrimor drybag (which strangely is about the size of a 20l alpkit/gourdon, go figure)
That consists of the above, plus a down jacket, alpkit cloud cover and thicker tights.
This is a theoretical setup as I've yet to actually camp out at winter yet, my new gear should change that
AndyA

Post by AndyA »

8l on Road Drops
Upto 20l on MTB

Alpkit Joey plus bungee hack to stabilise.

Edit, carrying sleeping stuff upfront.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Revelate Salty Roll on a Revelate Harness. It's a 15 litre bag but it's much wider and narrower than most other dry bags, double ended too

There's far less chance I'm going to hit it on my wheel when using a suspension fork

Mat, quilt, bivy bag and sleeping clothes fit in no problem. It's for my camping kit only, other pouches/bags carry things I use during the day
jameso

Post by jameso »

Wildcat harness, 8l bag - mat, bivi bag and sleeping bag plus foam pad cut-off as a liner, mini groundsheet, seat etc plus bivi socks and hat. Might use a 13l if I had the bigger bag for colder conditions. 46cm drops. Fits Jones bars really well also.
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

13 L dry bags using Wildcat harnesses. Because I travel with my partner, we have a split setup.
In one we have:
Helsport Ringstind 2 Tent (sometimes we carry bivvy bags and a tarp)
2 x Exped Synmat Sleeping mats
Montane Down Jacket

In the other:
Both sleeping bags, yes that’s right, I carry some of Dan’s stuff because I love him. Aren’t I sweet.
And his silk sleeping bag liner

Our full set up is here http://www.farawayvisions.com/whats-ins ... king-bags/
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

13L Alpkit bag fits in my Woodchippers. I pack it more flat than round (the shape of the bottom of the bag) and it sits in my Revelate Harness quite comfortably. Very stable. Doesn't move around.

I'm currently waiting on the new Saltyroll for fitting to the MTB though.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Just to be contrary (what, me?): no harness at all I'm afraid. 8L Alpkit drybag strapped round bars with 10x8 tarp & pegs/lines (*) + single tyvek g'sheet + exped hyperlite mat + exped hyperlite pillow + exped minipump + down hat. Either 5L Alpkit drybag with summer sleeping bag or 13L drybag with winter s'bag, with their straps threaded through the straps of the 8L bag and round the bars. Had double-ended drybags but didn't use both ends so swapped for lighter single-ended.
Bars have been fine with heli tape round them, and drybags completely secure and easy to get off/on. No problems with suspension forks.

(*) 2 x carbon poles go in bottom of Alpkit Koala on the back to help keep it rigid

"Reg"
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

The new wildcat double entry dry bag is super light, waterproof and has a middle baffle that moves from one side to the other depending on load.
This weekend I rolled up my airbed, pump, pillow, quilt in my bivi bag rolled up ready to lay out in one go, this all fitted in one side and my Silwing tarp went in the other side.
The baffle stops the wet tarp touching the sleep system

http://www.wildcatgear.co.uk/shop/dry-b ... -dry-bags/
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

£45 for a Drybag FFS!!!! :shock:

WTF is it made from, dry cure unicorn stomach?

Think I'll stick with alpkit..

:oops: