Custom frame bag what features to go for

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

firestarter

Custom frame bag what features to go for

Post by firestarter »

Hi rather than panniers I'm looking to move to soft luggage for road/offroad trips I think I'm going down the full frame bag route then store water in the bag. As it seems a better idea than a partial bag

So if you were going custom what features are the best to have. I can't decide on full surgeon zips or two compartments. Then hose hole for water pack. Pump Velcro point perhaps. Document pocket.

What else is there and what's best given a blank canvas

Ta
whitestone

Re: Custom frame bag what features to go for

Post by whitestone »

I think (that's a long drawn out, hesitant, "think") I'd go for a horizontal divider at a point to make the top compartment just big enough for the water bladder. Kit tends to settle so having a horizontal divider helps.

Document pocket is useful even though I use it for almost anything but documents! Hole in top for water tube and or electric lead.

I'd have a sleeve to hold tarp poles running down just behind the down or seat tube - a bit like an arrow quiver if you like - given their length they can be one of the most awkward things to carry on a bike.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

I was thinking the sewn in divider would support a bladder better tbh

I like the poles idea best I decide on my shelter first tho I guess or the poles might not fit mmm....

Too many choices lol
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Maybe this is because I ride smallish frames? ... I find I generally have more room using a partial bag and bottle than I do by using a full bag. I also find sticking a bladder or whatever inside a bag makes filling up a faff and means it's hard to judge how much water you have left. Always seems like a great idea in theory but is far from practical in most situations.

It always appears that I can get just as much in an Ocelot as I can a full bag.
May the bridges you burn light your way
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Full frame bags always 'look' to be a better use of space, but the water in bladder vs water in bottles approach means I've been happy with a partial frame bag and bottles. One bottle is my water filter bottle too, just stick the filter in when I top up from streams

Another option is a custom made partial frame bag so it fits neatly around the water bottle. I always think they look great on bikes - you can use bottles but there's little unused space inside the triangle
Last edited by benp1 on Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Maybe this is because I ride smallish frames? ... I find I generally have more room using a partial bag and bottle than I do by using a full bag. I also find sticking a bladder or whatever inside a bag makes filling up a faff and means it's hard to judge how much water you have left. Always seems like a great idea in theory but is far from practical in most situations.

It always appears that I can get just as much in an Ocelot as I can a full bag.
I'd agree, bottles are easier to manage. I've got two framebags for different bikes that are shaped to allow use of a bottle (with a side entry cage) but use up all of the available space. also with a partial framebag you can go much wider than you'd think - it won't bulge because it can't.

Speak to Beth at Wildcat - shes done that sort of thing before :grin:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I noticed you'd got a custom bag on your Spearfish Ian. A MyTiMug 650 is a bit of a squeeze width wise in an XL Ocelot - I always feel like I'm straining the zip, a 400 or 450 might be better. With one bottle cage and 750ml bottle there isn't much room left inside the frame of a large Solaris.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

whitestone wrote:I noticed you'd got a custom bag on your Spearfish Ian. A MyTiMug 650 is a bit of a squeeze width wise in an XL Ocelot - I always feel like I'm straining the zip, a 400 or 450 might be better. With one bottle cage and 750ml bottle there isn't much room left inside the frame of a large Solaris.

On both bikes I use adaptors to move the bottle as low down as possible - it makes a huge difference to the space available. Mount Skidmore on the Spearfish and Lezyne band-on brackets on the Tinbred.
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

whitestone wrote:I'd have a sleeve to hold tarp poles running down just behind the down or seat tube
My poles go into the seat tube, elastic banded together, with a piece of inner tube over the end so's not to cause any damage.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...