Pumps

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Adventurer

Pumps

Post by Adventurer »

I've gone tubeless with my wheels and I was not convinced. But I have eaten my hat, as I now just pull the thorns out and the tyre stays up.

But I still carry lightweight tubes as I don't want to be in a position of not being able to fix a tubeless flat.

One thing I'm looking at is replacing the humble bike pump.

I'm interested to know what pumps do you take on a bikepacking trip?
Richard G

Re: Pumps

Post by Richard G »

For me it has to be something with a proper flexible hose attachment and a decent amount of volume, even if it's a touch heavier.

I personally use the Lezyne Alloy Drive V2 at the moment, though thankfully (after experimenting with a bunch of "sub standard" tyres and tubeless) I haven't needed it in a while.

Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

That's the one of the ones I've been looking at. I see they do a small and medium size. Would you think having a small just for the odd time I would use it would be good enough?
Ta
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I don't see why not. At worst it'll just mean you spend a bit more time pumping the tyre / have to get a bit closer to it because of a smaller hose.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I have an older version of that, best mini pump i've ever had.
HopeValleyPaul

Post by HopeValleyPaul »

I carry a lezyne micro floor drive. It's a bit bigger but I have managed to reseat 29+ tires on the trail side with it after fixing Torn side walls.
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

mountain morph for me - because thats what ive always used and its been fairly robust. over the years.

i usually end up handing it over to people with micro mini super light 1/4inch stroke pumps to do the job propper.

on my touring bike i carry a road morph.

they live inside the rear triangle with the bracket ziptied to the seatstay.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

+1 for the Mountain Morph
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

+1 for the Mountain Morph
and another. Had one for years, never let me down or caused any concern.
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've got the lezyne as well, the double ended flexi connector is the best I've used. Only had to use it on my bike once since going tubeless 5 years ago but often have to get it out on group rides when I can't watch someone struggling with their cheap pump any longer.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

A super cheap Phaart pump from OnOne I got for 50p!

Weighs nowt, takes up little space and pumps out about as much air as an asthmatic breathing through a straw!
I only really use it for adding air after letting some out for a descent, works in a pinch.
My main pump for punctures is a co2 bulb but no good for tubeless really, only for filling up new tubes quickly.
Co2 comes on every ride, long trips I add a spare bulb and bikepacking I add the cheapo backup pump.

Maybe I'm lucky (or just a featherweight) but I've only had 3 punctures in just under 3000miles, between both mtb and road bikes and both on lightweight tubes.
So I dont worry too much but i still never go anywhere without a spare tube,co2,tyre lever,glueless patches and 2 individual hex keys, bare minimal for the rare chance I need them
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

The Lezyne pumps are very nicely made bits of kit but be aware that when you unscrew the connector it can remove the valve core. I won't use them.

Wifey lost our track pump the weekend before we going to France so I ordered a Lezyne as a replacement and a mini pump as well. They turned up the morning we were leaving so I popped them in the van and off we go. Next morning was a sportiv (the Ardechoise) so all ready to go I check the tyre pressures on the bikes. Unscrew the pump from the first tube and the valve core comes with it. Tried another couple of times and same story. Luckily I had a Zefal HPX with me. That evening I tried both the Lezyne track and mini pump on all the tubes I had with me, about 10 in all. They removed the valve cores from every tube. The pumps were screwed on tight enough to create a seal but certainly not over tightened. The tubes were all Conti or Michelin.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Pirahna wrote:The Lezyne pumps are very nicely made bits of kit but be aware that when you unscrew the connector it can remove the valve core. I won't use them.
I *might* have had that problem :roll: Once or twice or ...

On my road bike the Lezyne pump has a nice mount that fits in to the bottle cage mount and doesn't foul your foot when pedalling which the Mountain Morph does.
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

the clues in the name of the pump whitestone ;)
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Trail-rat wrote:the clues in the name of the pump whitestone ;)
I know - was worth a try just to see :grin:
Gari

Post by Gari »

I had the same problem with my lazy eye pump also, miles from anywhere! I ended up having to leave the hose in place and taping it to the spokes. I now pinch the core with a small set of pliers/leatherman. Works fine so far. Other than that it's a great pump.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Odd, have never had that happen. I'm usually pretty careful about how I put it on / take it off though I guess.

Better than the risk of bending the valve with the sort that you just clamp straight on in my opinion.
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

Lezyne midi here too, great pump :-bd